Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
After a 9 or so year absense I finally got back into reloading.

I am curious if anyone is as picky as I am.

I have a digital scale and measure out each charge exactly.

I also spot measure loaded rounds (every 6 or so) for length using a vernier caliper off the ogive!!!

HR IC

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yep, I weigh all my charges and measure every round.

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
In my mind so much effort goes into reloading frlom all the case prep to the fuel to get to the range. I do just about all I can to exact everything!!!

AFP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Rah,

If you were truly picky you'd weigh each charge on a balance beam scale. You'd also measure the seating depth off the ogive with a high-end caliper (mine is a Mitutoyo) with Sinclair's tapered steel inserts for the Stoney Point collimator. You'd measure EVERY round. You'd also measure the ogive length of every bullet and sort them into groups of no more the +/- .001, then uniform the noses on these bullets with a metplat uniformer, again to +/- .001.

This doesn't even address brass prep.

There is more you could do, like use a lab grade balance beam scales and a Juenke internal concentricity comparator, but what I described avove worked well enough to set a couple club records, shoot screamer groups, and win matches.

So in light of that, your approach doesn't seem so picky to me..... wink smile

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

If you were truly picky you'd weigh each charge on a balance beam scale. You'd also measure the seating depth off the ogive with a high-end caliper (mine is a Mitutoyo) with Sinclair's tapered steel inserts for the Stoney Point collimator. You'd measure EVERY round. You'd also measure the ogive length of every bullet and sort them into groups of no more the +/- .001, then uniform the noses on these bullets with a metplat uniformer, again to +/- .001.

Blane
This is good practice.
When hunting, every round needs to be it's best.
HD

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Every powder charge gets weighed on my Ohaus. I have a list of settings for each brand and weight of bullet for my Forster seater. I set it to be a bit longer than the desired end result to allow for differences in individual bullets within a box. After seating to that setting I check with an RCBS Precision Mic and go progressively deeper, checking with the mic after each reseat stroke until I get where I want to be. Best, John

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
AFP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have to admint I am only that fussy with my 1K BR rifle, and I despise sorting and trimming bullets. However, it does make a difference in that game.

R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Blaine
Rah,

This doesn't even address brass prep.

There is more you could do, like use a lab grade balance beam scales and a Juenke internal concentricity comparator, but what I described avove worked well enough to set a couple club records, shoot screamer groups, and win matches.

So in light of that, your approach doesn't seem so picky to me..... wink smile

I do measure each charge with a digital scale..........i guess in comparison to members here I am not as picky as I thought!!!

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I do the same thing. Nothing wrong with keeping consistent. Plus my shooting show how the extra step is worth it.

If you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Life member of the NRA
Endowment Member of the NRA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by hillbillybear
Yep, I weigh all my charges and measure every round.

+1 Me too.

It�s a magazine not a clip......

Advice is seldom welcome, and those who need it the most, like it the least.�
- Lord Chesterfield. 1750
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Blaine, since you have one of the comparators have you checked alot of hunting style bullets? I have some that shoot lights out and then others form same manufacturer that make good fishing sinkers. Trying to decide whether or not to get one to help eliminate flyers. Thanks

"Give a lazy man the toughest job, and he will find the easiest way to do it"
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Nope. I long ago realized that since there will never, ever be two loaded rounds exactly alike in EVERY way, that to achieve perfection, I'd only be able to reload one cartridge - ever.

That didn't appeal to me, so now I just pull the handle and stuff in bullets!

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

AFP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I haven't checked any hunting bullets, but that would be a place to start. However, I am not sure it make a difference at 100 to 200 yds.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
How much does one of those cost anyway?

"Give a lazy man the toughest job, and he will find the easiest way to do it"
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Rocky +1.

I recall a study (50's? Whelen?) that showed improved accuracy from powder measures over weighing each charge. I compromise - I pull the handle four times and weigh the fifth.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'd bet you'd be amazed at how accurate ammo is from a "Lee Loader". Now that's unpicky! But the darn things work. Kinda make a guy feel foolish for investing so much $$ in stuff.

zxc Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I weighed everything up to a few years ago, Now I use a powder measure, powders are more friendly now compared to the stick powder of just a few years ago. I read somewhere that bench rest shooters charge cases by volume, this is what ta powder measure does. I have not noticed any differance doing it one way or the other , other than time.

AFP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It depends on the kind of BR shooter you are talking about. Little BR guys do often throw their charges, but they are thrown very accurately. 1000 yd BR guys weigh every one. I see no issue with throwing ona hunting rifle, espeically the ones with larger case capacities.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
I weigh every charge on a balance beam scale, just because that's the way I started 33 years ago. I check the OAL on my loaded rounds with a calipre. For hunting accuracy out to 300 yards, mine work fine. And groups at 100, and 200 are good enough to put a smile on my face -- of course, it don't take as small a group to get me smiling as it does some guys. I've never shot at anything over 400 yards away, and then only once -- my first moose -- first shot put it down in its tracks. I grinned BIG that day. wink

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

AFP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
So what is "minute of moose" anyway? wink grin

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

504 members (10gaugeman, 06hunter59, 1badf350, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 10gaugemag, 66 invisible), 18,551 guests, and 1,276 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,848
Posts18,537,393
Members74,050
Most Online20,344

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.