Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by beretzs
Originally Posted by Beaver10
Originally Posted by Jwood1284
2019 6.5cm. I sold the B&C, and put it in a McM hunters edge. The Portugal M70 is the smoothest and best feeding/ejecting M70 I own.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sexy as hell!

🦫

For sure, I was thinking the same!

I know, right? His grass is incredible. Almost like it’s not real.

😂🦫

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
GB1

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I've had a few. They shot well. But they're tanks.

Camp is where you make it.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by tzone

When properly lightened up, they are not bad:

This one was 7 3/4 pounds (as shown), which is not bad for a model 70. That stock totally transformed that rifle, into a much better platform. It balanced well and carried nicely. Most of the EW's I've had were great shooters. However, my buddy has one chambered in 300wsm (made in 2012), that was a copper fouling sob when he got it. He had to really break it in before it shot decent. I'm talking 3-5" groups at first. I re-did the glass bedding and added an erniethegunsmith spring, got the pull weight down to a nice 2.5 pounds and then the rifle finally started shooting well. He still prefers his pre 64 model 70 308w, that I restocked in a Mcmillan though.. The 300WSM sits in the safe these days..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by tzone

When properly lightened up, they are not bad:

This one was 7 3/4 pounds (as shown), which is not bad for a model 70. That stock totally transformed that rifle, into a much better platform. It balanced well and carried nicely. Most of the EW's I've had were great shooters. However, my buddy has one chambered in 300wsm (made in 2012), that was a copper fouling sob when he got it. He had to really break it in before it shot decent. I'm talking 3-5" groups at first. I re-did the glass bedding and added an erniethegunsmith spring, got the pull weight down to a nice 2.5 pounds and then the rifle finally started shooting well. He still prefers his pre 64 model 70 308w, that I restocked in a Mcmillan though.. The 300WSM sits in the safe these days..

I always thought the pre-brake Extreme Weathers were sharp looking. Never handled one, though. (Almost had a DIY one... was going to put a stainless FWT 6.5cm barreled action in a McM stock. Ended up getting out of 6.5cm.)

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
The action is wonderfully smooth and stout. But light is not in the vocabulary. I have no doubt a different stock would help a ton.

Camp is where you make it.
IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I have a Win m70 BACO FN-South Carolina Extreme Weather in 30-06 (3x Leupold). Really like it. Smooth as silk operation, accurate (0.60 - 0.75 moa). The only thing I don't like about it is the fluted barrel. I just don't like flutes.

I must be the odd man out about its weight. I wish it had more weight on the barrel. I prefer a rifle that is a bit muzzle heavy. Just hangs better in offhand shooting.

I have thinned the herd regarding my firearms over the past 10+ years. Of the few that are left (the herd is pretty much thinned down), this Extreme Weather m70 is my favorite hunting rifle.

"Behavior accepted is behavior repeated."

"Strive to be underestimated."
G
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
G
Originally Posted by clockwork_7mm
Which version? There are at least three and the newest ones aren't actually stainless under the cerakote, which seems totally besides the point of an extreme weather 😵.

Must be one of Browning's better ideas? As for the Extreme weather version. I believe they are all stainless steel. You may be thinking of the new pos "Extreme VSX MB"??? If not, please post a link of the new Extreme Weather that is not stainless steel. Thanks!

Also, if you do a google search, someone compiled a list of about 30 different threads on this particular rifle. Since there were so many asking questions about them. I'm not going to post a link, unless you guys have a hard time finding it.

As for the OP's question of anyone having one. I've had some and friends have had them. We have all came to the consensus that the stocks suck. They are too slick, for one, and handle like a 2x4. Or at least the early ones did. The newer B&C's are not nearly as bad, as the first gen B&C stocks they used on these rifles. They always got replaced with Mcmillans. My buddy still has one in 300wsm that he fought tooth and nail to get it to shoot right. He still complains about the slick stock too, but yet still uses it on occasion. The EW was always a "meh" for me. I'd just a soon have an older Classic stainless with the old school proven trigger. To each their own though.

I could be wrong... in fact, I HOPE I'm wrong! But I could've sworn the new EW Tungstens are not SS under the coating? Do those not count as EWs? Looked like the exact same rifle as the standard EW minus the SS/coating.

https://www.winchesterguns.com/products/rifles/model-70/model-70-extreme-tungsten.html

You are correct the Tungsten models are definitely not stainless. I bought a new one and it had a rusty chamber to my surprise. Talked to Browning and they confirmed they were not stainless.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My .308 EW w/MB weighs 7 3/4lbs with an Accupoint 3-9, a lot less than stuff I used to carry, more than I prefer now. Very nicely finished. The stainless barreled M70s have, or had, Bergara button-rifled barrels. CM barrels are hammer-forged, or were. Nothing stays the same long these days.

Retail price on these has really jumped, $1799. Real world prices seem to be about $1400.

What fresh Hell is this?
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
BSA: I'm still curious if you consider the Tungsten an EW?

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I have a 243 EW out of South Carolina (BACO) that is 6 lb 12 oz…. with a Leupold 2x7 scope weighs 7 lb 7 oz… shoots 100 Hornady IL in little tiny holes…. love the stock on mine. Smooth as any Model 70 I have ever handled.

IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Pappy348
My .308 EW w/MB weighs 7 3/4lbs with an Accupoint 3-9, a lot less than stuff I used to carry, more than I prefer now. Very nicely finished. The stainless barreled M70s have, or had, Bergara button-rifled barrels. CM barrels are hammer-forged, or were. Nothing stays the same long these days.

Retail price on these has really jumped, $1799. Real world prices seem to be about $1400.

I thought the m70 EW barrels were made at the FN South Carolina plant.

"Behavior accepted is behavior repeated."

"Strive to be underestimated."
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

It's not an Extreme Weather. If it were, it would be called that. The EW has the stainless action and stainless fluted barrel. Did you post a link where it said it was called Extreme Weather?

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Winnie70
I have a 243 EW out of South Carolina (BACO) that is 6 lb 12 oz…. with a Leupold 2x7 scope weighs 7 lb 7 oz… shoots 100 Hornady IL in little tiny holes…. love the stock on mine. Smooth as any Model 70 I have ever handled.

The stocks are "smooth". The reason I pull them off and replace with an appropriate stock. When my buddy and I first started looking at them (back in 2009), we handled a few and we both said the stock is too slick, it would have to go. Then when I bought my first one (a 2008 model), I had a used Mcmillan headed my way and received it before I had the rifle. Used Micky (shown in my last post) cost me $350, but worth it's weight in gold.

Last I heard, you were wanting to trade your EW 243 off and get a 6.5 creedmoor. How's that working out? I would not rebarrel that rifle, like you were also wanting to do. Especially since it's shooting so well. If you don't want it, there are guys I know that would take it off your hands.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a USA made Morgan Utah EW in 25/06 with a 22” barrel. It’s quite accurate and has a nicely adjusted trigger. The stock is thick comparatively but a bigger person wouldn’t find it offensive imo.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Winchester/BACO M70 EW/SS chambered in .270 Win. - topped w/ a Leupold VX-3i 2.5-8x36mm in Talley LW mounts.

~ 8.5 lbs. all up w/ sling.

Outstanding rifle in every way.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

No complaints.

GR

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C

It's not an Extreme Weather. If it were, it would be called that. The EW has the stainless action and stainless fluted barrel. Did you post a link where it said it was called Extreme Weather?

I'd posted this link the other day. (Preface: I was asking, not telling. Synthetics are far from my area of expertise.) They call it an Extreme vs. Extreme Weather, but to my eye, it appears to be the exact same rifle minus the cerakote for stainless swap? (It has the stock, the action, the fluting, the brake, etc.)

https://www.winchesterguns.com/products/rifles/model-70/model-70-extreme-tungsten.html

Added: how Winchester describes it: "It is Model 70 for extreme conditions and for serious, tough hunts, where you need a rifle that can take the elements and maintain top performance."

Last edited by clockwork_7mm; 11/15/23.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I have an extreme hunter model, 308, took it moose hunting in AK this year. Not stainless but has cerakote. Put an edge on it, feels and shoots great. I do like the old stainless extreme weather models too.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
BSA, I decided to keep it and the 6.5 creed itch has stopped itching. The 243 with the right bullet will do anything a 6.5 will do up to 300 yards for deer, so what do I need a creed for. The 243 has very few negatives and I know down the road I would regret it if I sold it.

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Great decision!

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Ghost And The Darkness

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by shinbone
Originally Posted by Brad
Shinbone, how do you like the Zeiss Conquest scope?

It is a V6 3-18x50, and like it a lot! It is one of the few high quality, second focal plane, non-taticool, scopes available to us simple hunters, and it fits the role very well. It is dialable, durable, has a versatile zoom range, has a simple reticle with windage marks, and has excellent optics. I like them so much, I own about 4 of them. Unfortunately, prices have drifted upwards due to their popularity. The Conquest V4s are also a good option at a lower price point.

SB, thanks for sharing your thoughts. I've been eyeing those recently, they seem like a solid choice.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

604 members (10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 1lessdog, 10Glocks, 1badf350, 1Longbow, 55 invisible), 2,608 guests, and 1,267 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,517
Posts18,509,595
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.