-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I had a fist year production EW in 308. It was a mediocre shooter.
I had a 2nd year production EW in 300 WSM. It was an outstanding shooter, so I sold it to Bwalker. laugh
I currently have a 2019 production Portuguese EW in 6.5 CM. Haven't shot it yet. I have a Bansner stock I plan on putting it in.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
GB1

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Originally Posted by clockwork_7mm
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
BSA: I'm still curious if you consider the Tungsten an EW?

It's not an Extreme Weather. If it were, it would be called that. The EW has the stainless action and stainless fluted barrel. Did you post a link where it said it was called Extreme Weather?

I'd posted this link the other day. (Preface: I was asking, not telling. Synthetics are far from my area of expertise.) They call it an Extreme vs. Extreme Weather, but to my eye, it appears to be the exact same rifle minus the cerakote for stainless swap? (It has the stock, the action, the fluting, the brake, etc.)

https://www.winchesterguns.com/products/rifles/model-70/model-70-extreme-tungsten.html

Added: how Winchester describes it: "It is Model 70 for extreme conditions and for serious, tough hunts, where you need a rifle that can take the elements and maintain top performance."

They don’t call them Extreme Weather models on their website, but they have Extreme Weather stamped right on the barrel of the Tungsten and Strata models that are not stainless.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Brad
I had a fist year production EW in 308. It was a mediocre shooter.
I had a 2nd year production EW in 300 WSM. It was an outstanding shooter, so I sold it to Bwalker. laugh
I currently have a 2019 production Portuguese EW in 6.5 CM. Haven't shot it yet. I have a Bansner stock I plan on putting it in.
Brad, that rifle is a drill. I stupidly sold it to my brother in my never ending quest for the perfect elk rifle. He's been killing stuff with it left and right ever since. I did stipulate that if he decides to get another rifle I will buy it back. Problem is he is a one rifle guy and will probably never sell!

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I
Originally Posted by shinbone
Shinbone, how do you like the Zeiss Conquest scope?

It is a V6 3-18x50, and like it a lot! It is one of the few high quality, second focal plane, non-taticool, scopes available to us simple hunters, and it fits the role very well. It is dialable, durable, has a versatile zoom range, has a simple reticle with windage marks, and has excellent optics. I like them so much, I own about 4 of them. Unfortunately, prices have drifted upwards due to their popularity. The Conquest V4s are also a good option at a lower price point.

SB, thanks for sharing your thoughts. I've been eyeing those recently, they seem like a solid choice.
I love both the V4 and the V6. All my new scopes going forward will be V4's. Prior to that Zeiss scopes never really surpassed the old Conquests of which ai have a half dozen.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by shinbone
Shinbone, how do you like the Zeiss Conquest scope?

It is a V6 3-18x50, and like it a lot! It is one of the few high quality, second focal plane, non-taticool, scopes available to us simple hunters, and it fits the role very well. It is dialable, durable, has a versatile zoom range, has a simple reticle with windage marks, and has excellent optics. I like them so much, I own about 4 of them. Unfortunately, prices have drifted upwards due to their popularity. The Conquest V4s are also a good option at a lower price point.

SB, thanks for sharing your thoughts. I've been eyeing those recently, they seem like a solid choice.

I bet it rocks. I have several V4’s, including a couple 4-16x50’s… optically brilliant and they dial extremely well for me. I have one on my 6.5 SAUM, which is a build I spared no expense on… I have zero desire to change that scope to anything else. It rocks. I shoot it out to 1k yards a lot and the scope dials and repeats like, dare I say it, my two NF’s. Same factory. The demo units at RHR are a great bargain for what you are getting, or at least they were when I got mine.

I’ve only played with EW’s in the gun shops, starting with the first ones what, 15+ years ago? My recollection is, it felt great in my big mitts, fit and finish were excellent, and the safety was LOUD. One in 300 WSM seemed about perfect to me at the time, but I didn’t do it, got a Kimber MT WSM instead.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
IC B2

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Grumman

It's not an Extreme Weather. If it were, it would be called that. The EW has the stainless action and stainless fluted barrel. Did you post a link where it said it was called Extreme Weather?

I'd posted this link the other day. (Preface: I was asking, not telling. Synthetics are far from my area of expertise.) They call it an Extreme vs. Extreme Weather, but to my eye, it appears to be the exact same rifle minus the cerakote for stainless swap? (It has the stock, the action, the fluting, the brake, etc.)

https://www.winchesterguns.com/products/rifles/model-70/model-70-extreme-tungsten.html

Added: how Winchester describes it: "It is Model 70 for extreme conditions and for serious, tough hunts, where you need a rifle that can take the elements and maintain top performance."

They don’t call them Extreme Weather models on their website, but they have Extreme Weather stamped right on the barrel of the Tungsten and Strata models that are not stainless.

Interesting! So it *is* an EW. I'll not even pretend to know why the marketing people do what they do.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Interesting! So it *is* an EW. I'll not even pretend to know why the marketing people do what they do.

Worse than that.

Winchester advertises their Model 70 Extreme Sporter MB.

... and Cabela's/BPS advertises it as their Model 70 Extreme Weather MB

For an actual "Extreme Weather" M70?

Stainless Steel, or go home.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

GR

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Garandimal

Worse than that.

GR
I'm usually a walnut/blued only fan. But agree in this case. If you're going to bill it as "extreme" weather, it's gotta be stainless.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I have one. It's a Morgan, Utah gun {assembled in Portugal???}. I think it says "Imported by BACO". Bought it new a few years ago from Greentop in Virginia. It's a 270 Winchester and it is a great shooter. I swapped the stock for a McMillan Edge and bedded it. Adjusted the trigger and with 140 grain Nosler Partitions in my hand-loads it puts 'em all touching at 100 yards. I am happy and will never sell it. I can't really say it's any smoother feeling or better feeding than my pre-64 70's or my Mark V Weatherby's, but it's smooth enough and has never failed to feed. About the same as the others really. I scoped the bore, and it has typical factory rifle tooling marks. About what you would see in any 700 or pre-64 70. I figured on lead lapping it the way it looked, but after shooting the damn thing I am scared to touch it. It shot so good I left it alone. It does not, and never has fouled either, like I said...I am very happy and will never sell it. If I found another one for sale, I would definitely buy it. M

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by buttstock
Originally Posted by Pappy348
My .308 EW w/MB weighs 7 3/4lbs with an Accupoint 3-9, a lot less than stuff I used to carry, more than I prefer now. Very nicely finished. The stainless barreled M70s have, or had, Bergara button-rifled barrels. CM barrels are hammer-forged, or were. Nothing stays the same long these days.

Retail price on these has really jumped, $1799. Real world prices seem to be about $1400.

I thought the m70 EW barrels were made at the FN South Carolina plant.

I got that info from Winchester, on their site IIRC. The manual says only that SS barrels are button rifled, CM hammer-forged. Does FN even make button-rifled barrels?

Just now I found a FAQ that said they outsource some of their barrels, but wasn’t specific. The sources are likely subject to change for various reasons. At any rate, I wouldn’t bet the farm on what they put on their website, or what they tell you on the phone.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B3

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
The cerakote Extreme Hunter Strata MB I bought was one of the early release ones. To make it worse it was stamped “Extreme Weather SS” on the CM barrel. Their website wasn’t clear at the time and it appeared it was a stainless cerakote model. Winchester swapped me out for a true Extreme Weather MB model which was stainless. It now looks like they have dropped the SS off of the stampings of the cerakote models.

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
I have one in 30-06 that I bought back in 2016. I’ve shot a pile of caribou, a few nice moose and a mountain goat with.

It’s a great rifle, I have a great load using 180g partitions for it. I don’t take it out much these days but it’s earned its place in my stable.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Winchester/BACO M70 EW/SS chambered in .270 Win. - topped w/ a Leupold VX-3i 2.5-8x36mm in Talley LW mounts.

~ 8.5 lbs. all up w/ sling.

Outstanding rifle in every way.

No complaints.

GR

Other than the Dog Schit scope,mounts,chambering and projectiles. Hint.

147's here. Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Just sayin'................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Shot it at the range few weeks ago. It really really likes federal fusion 150’s. 0.7 MOA from soft point bonded boat tail hunting ammo, can’t complain about that at all.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Worse than that.

GR

The extreme sporter i purchased in 2010 as a sportsman whse exclusive cost $650 and came with a $50 gift card for Winchester ammunition. Did not feature a muzzle brake but the rest of the specs are close to the same......stock on mine was a textured black which i have since painted a camo pattern.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Stick, is that the lighting, soot, or ss-black oxide that makes your barrel appear darkened... maybe something else? I am interested in trying the black oxide so am curious if that's what the result will look like.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Rifle is as issued/NIB. Hint.

Only thing I did,was adjust trigger and swap out mag box/ejector,for more COAL and to land 147 Smooches in nether regions. Hint.

Just saying..................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Nice. Mine doesn't have that step in the mag box... one less thing to do in pre-flight.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Goys, bump! I completed trial of the Presto-black ssb and I like it, will post pictures once I get the scope leveled! The patina agent worked well, though some may critique my workmanship. Overall, it was a success!! BTW, I have way too much patina agent now... a little goes a long, long way!

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I had one of the early FN made EW's in 270 Win. Adjusted the trigger weight down and dropped it in a bedded McMillan stock with a Swaro scope. It was one of the easiest and most accurate rifles I've owned, and I've owned plenty.

1st load consisting of a 140 Berger VLD over H4831 produced a 3 shot group of 3/8". I sold it to a buddy before moving out of state and have regretted it since!

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

524 members (22kHornet, 1Longbow, 2500HD, 257Bob, 10Glocks, 51 invisible), 2,418 guests, and 1,207 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,591
Posts18,511,213
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.