Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Shocked
Campfire Tracker
Anyone drill their 10/22 receiver to accomodate a cleaning rod? Positive / Negative

I hate cleaning them from the muzzle and I absolutely will not use a bore snake.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I think Brownells has a jig for doing just that.

Campfire Tracker
OP Online Shocked
Campfire Tracker
I've seen a couple of jigs for doing so, just not sure it is a good thing. Concerned about blowback as I shoot suppressed from time to time.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by STRSWilson
Anyone drill their 10/22 receiver to accomodate a cleaning rod? Positive / Negative

I hate cleaning them from the muzzle and I absolutely will not use a bore snake.

I cannot see the point of doing it, it requires removing the rifle from the stock and the bolt from the rifle.

I don't understand your aversion to using a boresnake, I have used one on 10/22's for years and do not see any detrimental effects from it.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I did it to my first one. I also bead blasted the action and put a new barrel and stock. I use a soft buffer pin and wish I had not drilled it. I worry it may crack one day. I bet I only have shot it maybe 10,000 rounds.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I had it done to both of mine. Both have tight chambers and I wanted to be able to brush them out if needed.

Who ever cleans the bore on a 10-22?

I asked my gunsmith if he had a jig for this purpose and all he said was "Hell no. I've got a milling machine and I know how to measure"

I guess it was a stupid question anyway

I could wish a lot of things on my worst enemy but neuropathy ain't one of them.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by drover

I cannot see the point of doing it, it requires removing the rifle from the stock and the bolt from the rifle.

I don't understand your aversion to using a boresnake, I have used one on 10/22's for years and do not see any detrimental effects from it.

drover

I agree. I use an otis though..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
CPC will do it for free if you send them your 10/22 to be tuned.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I use a bristled pipe cleaner to swab out the chamber of my CSC, which definitely needs it from time to time. Drip a bit of the CLP of your choice on it, bend it a bit, and wipey wipey.

What fresh Hell is this?
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
I drill a hole in all of mine, no jig is needed..............

Not just for cleaning, lets you boresight too!

I also alter the bolt lock so all you need to do is pull the bolt back and release.....

Last edited by Muffin; 11/09/23.

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
IC B3

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by Pappy348
I use a bristled pipe cleaner to swab out the chamber of my CSC, which definitely needs it from time to time. Drip a bit of the CLP of your choice on it, bend it a bit, and wipey wipey.

This for my not bolt action rimfires. I have also used a bent a bore brush as suggested by a forum member.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by drover

drover
Switching to a 11/22 receiver avoids removing the stock if your stock is lower than the rod hole. Buying a 10/22 takedown avoids any action stripping, just twist off and shove a rod through.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I did mine, but I have a couple of lathes and a mill so it was no big deal.

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by pullit
I did mine, but I have a couple of lathes and a mill so it was no big deal.

I did one two days ago, with a cleaning rod, a pair of calipers, and a hand drill............ I think that was number 5... also modified the bolt lock while I had the trigger group out..

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Shocked
Campfire Tracker
For those who have done this, is there any concern about blowback through the new receiver window?

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
For those who have done this, is there any concern about blowback through the new receiver window?

I haven't found it to be a problem or even noticeable that there is an extra hole.....

( . Y . )
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have like 7 different 10/22 all have been drilled. No issues what so ever. I anal about cleaning so complete dismantal isn't and issue for me.

Gun Owners of America
Escapee's RV Club
Elks
Moose
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I don't get how there could be any "blowback" through a quarter inch hole that would be blocked by a recoiling bolt on the inside and whatever kind of stock material on the outside.

Please explain

I could wish a lot of things on my worst enemy but neuropathy ain't one of them.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
In order for blow back to happen, it would have to get past the bolt, thru the hole, and then up between the stock and the receiver. The hole is below the stock line and can not be seen when the gun is assembled.
To be honest, I did it just because I could and didn't cost me anything. If I really need to scrub the barrel out good, it would be just about as easy to remove the barrel, put it in a padded vise and use a guide to clean it.

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Shocked
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Kenlguy

I don't get how there could be any "blowback" through a quarter inch hole that would be blocked by a recoiling bolt on the inside and whatever kind of stock material on the outside.

Please explain

I'm shooting suppressed...

That's also why I am interested in making cleaning easier...

Last edited by STRSWilson; 11/13/23.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

543 members (1minute, 1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 222Sako, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 49 invisible), 2,300 guests, and 1,217 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,034
Posts18,500,687
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.