Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by 378Canuck
Mushrooming bullets is what a SMK is with that hole in the front. It actually falls under the group of FMJ and in some provinces it classified in the explosives group. LEO were the only ones that could import them afew years ago, haven't tried buying hollow point pistol ammo, but I don't think it's available to the public, however reloaders can and do produce them.
When flesh or fluid enter this pocket at supersonic speed the front of the bullet becomes a grenade. It is designed to do the most damage with the smallest penetration. Thats why you hear about snipers shooting enemies in the head and the head explodes. The design is not made to whiz through but blow up on contact. However that said -thin skinned animals can fool the bullet. They are illegal for hunting in Canada and I just checked again. Don't come to Canada hunting with them and get caught by a fish cop or you will be in deep doodoo. I'm sure some of the guys that deal with regulations and wildlife management on the forum could give more up to date data on this matter.

378, I'm not sure where you're getting your info. The only bullets that are illegal to hunt with are FMJ bullet that do NOT expand. The SMK expands so is legal to hunt with. HP pistol ammo have been available to the public for several years now.

I would like to see the documentation that says that SMK are illegal for hunting in Canada.

HR IC

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Got that info from the instructor at the Canadian Firearms Course for Restricted weapons. As I mentioned in my comments I don't purchase cartridges, I build my own. I have shot about 50 of the 250 grain MK and they are awesome. That's why I wasn't sure about buying factory built ammo. The TSX is good to go because of the petal design. "drilling a small hole into a solid still qualifies it as a FMJ" said the Instructor.

It is better to be judged by 12 than to be carried by 6.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
dave 7mm

Look at both a NBT and a SMK in cross section and tell me the two are not made differently.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Check the rules by province. In Manitoba it is classified under the explosives department. The front part of the bullet is defined as an explosive in Manitoba. There have been allready court cases on this- look it up. Some provinces may allow them but I'm not going to do a search on all the provinces. Do your own homework. I've been told that I couldn't use them by a qualified instructor in the province of British Columbia and I will not hunt with them. I do use them for target shooting only.
There is a humane way to dispatch animals and you know this I'm sure.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
378, the hollow point/ Explosive Act is old news. It was under that law that HP pistol bullet were illegal under the pretext that HP were "explosive" bullets and therefore regulated by the Explosive Act. That as all been cleared up now and HP are now legal in Canada for rifle and pistol. I would like to see how a CO would be able to tell the difference between a SMK and any other HP bullet? I had my non-restricted and restricted course as well and those instructor, although qualified, are just regular joe's like you and me and have their own belief on how things work. My instructor was telling our group that the .243 Win was a great moose cartridge and kills his moose every years by shooting them in the head. I wouldn't take the word of those instructor as the word of God.

IC B2

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

The Widcats are made exactly like the SMK's except they are higher BCs and heavier wieghts and they are made as a hunting bullet. The SMKs act on game about the samew as a Game King. Not my first choice, but a good long range bullet the Wildcats and SMK IMHO...
As you know I think very highly of the TSX in 7mm and above as I have no experience with them in smaller calibers at this time..

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ok BCsteve I will take some (SMK bullets)over to the Fish and Wildlife office and see if I can get something in writing and forward it to the forum and the Instructor. I spend more time out of country and maybe I missed something while out of country. Some of our American hunting folk probably would like to see something in writing so they can carry it with them when hunting with these type bullets because -one fella says no and another says yes. Similiar to carrying rifles in your vehicle-even the RCMP don't know the regulations. So you have to carry a copy of the regulation in your glove box.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Reply that came back from the National firearms Association of Canada

It is unlawful to use full metal jacketed, non expanding, tracer, incendiary or explosive bullets for hunting or trapping game.
Specific to the .338 SMK bullets.
These bullets were designed to penetrate 2 layers of body armor at 1200m from the 338 Lapua.
Sierra specifically recommends against using them for hunting applications. These bullets, despite the manufacturing process which leaves a tiny hollow at the tip, are considered to be full metal jacket and thus would not be suitable for hunting.
More info can be found at
http://www.canlii.org/ca/regu/sor98-462/part83018.html

PMC Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have killed a passel load of deer in TN with 175 SMK's results are quite devastating. I'll keep using them.

Pmc

shhh. be vewy vewy quiet. i'm hunting deer. uhhh uhhh uhhhh.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
POP, stop fixating on what a bullet looks like when recovered. The SMK when placed properly devastates deer.

IC B3

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I don't have a position on SMK's one way or another, but do want to correct a misconception. SMK's and Berger VLD's are NOT made exactly the same way. The cores of SMK's are 3% antimony, which Sierra informs me is the alloy used in all their rifle bullets, whether match or hunting. The alloy in Berger VLD's is .5% antimony, a LOT softer, which is one reason they expand so violently.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
POP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Like I said guys use them all you want. I will never use any Sierra for big game, let alone a Mk!
I will use my Noslers/Barnes. They always work.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

176 members (1OntarioJim, 6mmbrfan, 3333vl, 7mmStwer, 7887mm08, 35, 17 invisible), 2,426 guests, and 1,045 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,780
Posts18,536,045
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.