Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I used to live in coastal Eastern, NC along the big rivers dumping into the Pamlico sound. Years ago the locals would trap and shoot river otters and it didn’t take long to about wipe them out. The furs were worth money but many shot them because they were causing shoreline erosion and damaging field drainage ditches. But back in the late 70’s early 80’s the coast was being invaded by Nutria and these square headed rodents which breed like three times a year increased in numbers almost overnight. They swim like beavers, dive and eat lots of soft shell crab but also come ashore and root out crops. But the biggest problem was their tunneling into the banks and destroying the protective sea grass and vegetation. Before you know it your shore line is receeding. Soon everybody was trapping and shooting them but they seemed to breed faster than they were shot off. While everybody was concentrating on Nutria the otters came back and eventually nobody bothers them much anymore cause they push the Nutria out. It’s illegal to hunt otters in NC now

Rick

GB1

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Nothing new to report. Saw one otter a couple days ago while out feeding the fish but I neglected to bring my rifle......oops. I think I caught the dumb ones. We need to get a little snow.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I was never successful without a little snow to pattern them. With snow, I would be able to see the active slides into the settling ponds, and call the trapper. Usually a two to three week cycle between visits.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
If you live on the shores of a fresh water river or stream here in Floriduh, those little beasts are your friend. Gators fear them more than you might imagine. Toss some fish scraps to them now and then, wave goodbye to the lizards.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I missed one twice the other day with my swift.....if you've never seen an otter in the water then you don't know how hard they are to hit....first shot was maybe 75yds and I hit just in front of it. The second was pushing 120yds and I barely missed it. Only had an offhand shot both times......my buddy asked me why I didn't use a .22lr. Told him I did use a .22, just a higher powered one and I don't like losing them if I hit them. I did get some mink sets out so maybe I will have a good update soon...

IC B2

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
Correct choice, the LR is not the weapon of choice for an Alaska river otter. Those things are tough. I tried to .375 one's head off one time while beach combing in Chatham as he came ashore with a fish in his mouth. He started to move as the trigger broke and I hit him in the throat with a 300 grainer. Blood everywhere! I figured he wouldn't go far, but he made it 25 yards into the woods and down a hole. That was years ago, and losing that huge otter still haunts me.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by FishinHank
Nothing new to report. Saw one otter a couple days ago while out feeding the fish but I neglected to bring my rifle......oops. I think I caught the dumb ones. We need to get a little snow.

FH, All I ever catch is the dumb ones.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Oldman03

FH, All I ever catch is the dumb ones.

Same here, plenty of smart ones around still.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Woodpecker
I used to live in coastal Eastern, NC along the big rivers dumping into the Pamlico sound. Years ago the locals would trap and shoot river otters and it didn’t take long to about wipe them out. The furs were worth money but many shot them because they were causing shoreline erosion and damaging field drainage ditches. But back in the late 70’s early 80’s the coast was being invaded by Nutria and these square headed rodents which breed like three times a year increased in numbers almost overnight. They swim like beavers, dive and eat lots of soft shell crab but also come ashore and root out crops. But the biggest problem was their tunneling into the banks and destroying the protective sea grass and vegetation. Before you know it your shore line is receeding. Soon everybody was trapping and shooting them but they seemed to breed faster than they were shot off. While everybody was concentrating on Nutria the otters came back and eventually nobody bothers them much anymore cause they push the Nutria out. It’s illegal to hunt otters in NC now

Rick

I see a lot of them in eastern NC. Mostly in the fall and winter. When I'm kayaking I am more wary of otters than alligators and snakes. Some of them are huge. And when they pop their heads up and look at me as I paddle by, I am sure they are wondering if they should mug me.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
ain't that what chewed up a woman paddling down a river a wile ago ,saw it on the news. years ago I saw a guys catch dog after he put it on the small otters here, it had about 200 stitches in it

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 44mc
ain't that what chewed up a woman paddling down a river a wile ago ,saw it on the news. years ago I saw a guys catch dog after he put it on the small otters here, it had about 200 stitches in it

Yes. And they are hardly ever alone. I've seen as many as five on the bank and sometimes they will follow or swim along off to the side keeping an eye on you.

People think they are cuddly, fun-loving animals. But they have heads like pit bulls. I've seen them bringing big crawdads and blue crabs up and eating them whole, shell and all. They will eat smaller alligators, too.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
When I was in the 8th grade, I had an after school job at a mink ranch. I thought those were mean rascals. Had to wear mittens with 5 layers of leather on the backside and then you would sometimes feel the teeth just tickle your hand. But compared to an otter.... mink aint nothin!

An otter in a foothold trap is bad MOJO!

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker

Which is why I only use conibears. A buddy of mine killed 4 of them with a crowbar after they made the mistake of getting into an empty raceway. Legend. Otters are crazy strong

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Which is why I only use conibears. A buddy of mine killed 4 of them with a crowbar after they made the mistake of getting into an empty raceway. Legend. Otters are crazy strong

I would be very cautious around otters in the water. On land, they are not near as fearsome. My dogs came across about a 4 footer near the gate to the hatchery, at least 100 yards away from any water. In about 5 minutes, they had that otter wore out and they would have easily killed it if I hadn’t called them off. That’s two 45 lb ish bird dogs.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I dont own any conibears. I thought the trails were being made by beavers. Lots of beavers in that area. You can imagine my surprise when I caught the otters. Strong and mean!!!

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Drilled a good sized male with the 220 swift today, no exit.........probably going to be a real mess when I skin it out.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Drilled a good sized male with the 220 swift today, no exit.........probably going to be a real mess when I skin it out.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Nice

CK
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
He looks happy and content.....

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

633 members (007FJ, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 12savage, 10ring1, 67 invisible), 2,125 guests, and 1,346 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,912
Posts18,479,552
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.