Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
The technicians at a Toyota dealership will know to check all those things. Bubba at Shadetree Auto probably not.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

GB1

G
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by hardway
Could the parking brake cable be partially set or not returned all the way?
I think that would drag all the time, instead of just being catchy when you apply the brakes, right?

Last edited by gregintenn; 11/20/23.
G
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
The technicians at a Toyota dealership will know to check all those things. Bubba at Shadetree Auto probably not.
I’m at least an hour from a dealership, and wouldn’t have a ride back home or to go back and get it. I also don’t enjoy being azz raped financially. Everybody doesn’t live in a city.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Well?

I am MAGA.
G
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Well?
LOL! I just put some deer jerky in the dehydrator, and now I’m waiting on the wife to leave so I can have her bay in the basement to work on the truck.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Greg, you can go to some local yokel who'd replace the first and easiest thing he could reach, and then go to some other yokel because the first guy didn't fix your issue. Now you've paid twice, waited twice, and maybe still have issues. Or drive an hour, spend a little time in the waiting room with free snacks and wifi, and be sure your problems are solved.

Your choice.

G
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Greg, you can go to some local yokel who'd replace the first and easiest thing he could reach, and then go to some other yokel because the first guy didn't fix your issue. Now you've paid twice, waited twice, and maybe still have issues. Or drive an hour, spend a little time in the waiting room with free snacks and wifi, and be sure your problems are solved.

Your choice.
My choice is to jack the SOB up, pull the wheels and drums and see what’s up. I’ve then gone nowhere and paid nobody until I order parts.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by garddogg56
Drums,cutting edge technology lol

I know of people that have attempted to put 4 wheel discs on their tacomas (4runner parts) and they did not perform much better if at all.

I guess it is better to have cheap plastic parts, cylinder deactivation and short vehicle life with a domestic vehicle ?

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O

Your choice.

Because all Toyota dealers are not created equal. I have dealt with one for 25 years, bring it in and it is instantly diagnosed and fixed and yeah their prices are high. I complain about that and they knock them down a bit . There are 2 other dealers within a 25 mile range and I would not take in a bicycle for repair there.

673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by gregintenn

Your choice.
My choice is to jack the SOB up, pull the wheels and drums and see what’s up. I’ve then gone nowhere and paid nobody until I order parts.
LOL
When you get it figured, Rockauto is your buddy.

IC B3

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by gregintenn

Your choice.

Yep once you pull the drum everything is right there to see. One of the easiest things to diagnose. 2nd Rock Auto

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Rear axle seal, or seals are leaking into the drums, we see it often.

Also, probably a blocked Diff vent, that caused the seal failure.

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Greg, good on ya for being able to work on your own vehicles. Funny, though...when I've gotten a car apart to see what needs fixing, I'm always stumped as to how I'm then going to go get those parts.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
While your doing the brakes, drain and replace the brake fluid. Clean fluid is a must to keep the ABS system working properly. Plus it's cheap maintenance!

G
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Greg, good on ya for being able to work on your own vehicles. Funny, though...when I've gotten a car apart to see what needs fixing, I'm always stumped as to how I'm then going to go get those parts.
Well, I own more than one vehicle.

Anyway, everything in there is dry. The worst thing I found was a dead stink bug in one of the drums. I think I’ll change the drums and shoes while they’re off. The drums are grooved some and the pads are fairly well worn. I’m doubting that’ll solve my problem though.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E

Your choice.

Pretty large generalization there, surprised coming from you. I use two privately owned shops, one for my foreign cars and one for my domestic cars. Both have been nothing but stellar not to mention less costly.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I had an issue with rear brake dragging on my 98 Tacoma. It was the parking brake. I rarely used it and it rusted and did not fully release.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Ed, I didn't say all local places are yokels. But it is true that you never know until you've used one. I also use local shops versus the dealership for many things like oil changes, tires, etc. But when something breaks - or it's the brakes - it's the dealer every time. In-depth knowledge and genuine parts are worth it.

G
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by WVGuy
I had an issue with rear brake dragging on my 98 Tacoma. It was the parking brake. I rarely used it and it rusted and did not fully release.
You are the winner, sir! I can’t remember ever using the parking brake. Wife’s uncle borrowed the truck last week. I bet he pulled it.

Thanks a bunch for all the help guys!!!!!! Happy Thanksgiving.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
So have we got to checking the main rod bearings or the heater core?

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

474 members (06hunter59, 12344mag, 219 Wasp, 2ndwind, 1badf350, 257 roberts, 47 invisible), 1,750 guests, and 1,248 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,035
Posts18,520,982
Members74,023
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.