Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Recently acquired an M85 in 7.62x39. Anyone have experience with what to expect accuracy wise? I’ve seen pretty variable reports. Also saw someone mention swapping a trigger. I happen to have a timney on a different Mauser Sporter. Is this a standard size? Thanks.

GB1

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Would be good if you could 'invest' in photos!
Just my take!
smile
John

z1r Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
How the hell are pictures gonna help you answer the question: "Anyone have experience with what to expect accuracy wise?" Will it make it easier for you to answer, "Is the trigger a standard size?"

Accuracy, well, every rifle is an individual but on the whole you should be able to realize 1.5 moa. Ammo being the deciding factor in most cases. Good Handloads will do better.

The trigger, no, a standard 98 trigger will not fit. You'll want this one: https://timneytriggers.com/remington-799-featherweight-deluxe/

I rebarreled one to 6.5 Grendel and it was sub moa with every load we tried.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
have one built in a 20 tac, shoots great. it has a Hart 12 twist 24" barrel, built by Kevin Kram of Montour county rifles
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
not sure how accurate a 7.62x39 is but nothing wrong with the actions

If your going through hell, keep on going, don't look back, If your scared don't show it.
You might get out b'fore the devil even knows your there.
(Rodney Atkins)
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I did the same as Z1R , rebarrel to 6.5 G.

IC B2

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
"Vision" is a terrible opportunity to waste! The proposition "a picture is worth a thousand words", isn't hollow logic. Photos are empowering! They allow independent judgments and perspectives. Ever heard of "thinking outside the box?" Photos are often the "heads up" display empowering perspective beyond total reliance on an O/P good faith narrative!

Such Narratives without more, thinking only "inside the box" of factors portrayed. Questions presented in these Forums, here as inference of Community expertise. But the 'experts' relying principally on his descriptions and questions resulting as framed. "Independent evaluation and thinking outside the box, foreclosed

Here, photos revealing whether/what basic type of sighting equipment involved. I'd consider scoping relevant and perhaps evidence of a very short stock length of pull as to inquire about stock fit. The question of a muzzle brake noted as some folks more sensitive to sound. All the 'stuff' maybe not even to be asked 'if' a photo resolving whether applicable concern. Moving s here from simply the rifle to "human factors"!

In the field of Photo Imagery & Analysis, a common saying as "confirmation value of information predicted, a definite second place to "discovery value of the unpredicted!".

So! I'll continue to agitate for good pix with the admission too, of 'love awesome rifle centerfolds' with opportunity to drool! And thanks RR for that heavy barreled pix!

Oh ye of tunnel vision! smile
Best!
John

z1r Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Except, the question was, anyone have experience with what to expect. Not, how does my rig look. That said, I do like pics, especially if the post is asking for a value, identification or diagnosis. Or, if someone simply wants to share.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I have a few mini Mausers. All left handed. I have only shot the 7.62x39 once so far and it ran right at 1.5 inch with factory Winchester ammo.

All my others are chambered in .378 base rounds. 17 Remington, 6mmx222, 6x45, 25x222 and 7mm TCU. I haven’t shot the TCU yet. The 17 and the 222 wildcats have PacNor barrels. The 17 is a number two profile. The 6 and 25x222 are both number one profiles. I don’t know the origin of the 6x45 and TCU barrels.

The 17 seems to shoot consistently in the sub 3/4 MOA range, often into less than 1/2”. The sixes and the 25 both shoot under an inch with most loads. I’ll admit it’s gotten harder as I age to shoot small groups with light rifles, even ones I know will shoot bug hole groups.

To answer the OPs question, the mini Mausers will shoot well. Sometimes very well. They’re not bench rest guns but they were never intended to be. Mine are all walking varmint/calling rifles that can be pressed into deer or antelope service on occasion. I don’t shoot long range, preferring to do my hunting prior to the shot.

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have one in 7.62X39 with the factory barrel. Last time I shot it if I remember correctly I was getting 1 1/2" to 2 1/2" @ 100yds with steel cased FMJ russian bulk ammo. Not great but improvements could be made.

I had big plans for it but got interested in something else.

[Linked Image from photos.imageevent.com]

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Mine started as a 7.62x39, but it was rebarreled to 270x39AI and was a great deer rifle for our youngins. It next became a 220 Beggs (Russian). It is a very accurate 22.

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

599 members (10ring1, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 60 invisible), 2,289 guests, and 1,268 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,706
Posts18,494,396
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.