Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Quality is excellent, however unless you live here in Canada, they are only available as blanks. Their stocks are extremely stiff and quite light. Unlike some other companies he uses carbonfiber in the forend as standard practise with no price mark up. He also offers most if not all his stocks in two different weights, ultralight or standard. It’s also important to know the inletting is cast in, not machined.

If you order a plain blank, you will need to sand and fill the mold seam lines, drill and tap the two marked aluminum blocks to accept sling studs, glue on your recoil pad, pillar bed, glass bed, and paint the stock. There also may be other minor work needed, but if you’re at all handy they aren’t hard to finish.

I believe he is also willing to fill and sand, install studs and he keeps decelerators without the steel inserts instock which he can install at additional cost.

If we are specifically talking about his Steyr model, it is a dimensional copy of the professionals stock.

Last edited by bigJ; 09/07/23.
GB1

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by bigJ
Quality is excellent, however unless you live here in Canada, they are only available as blanks. Their stocks are extremely stiff and quite light. Unlike some other companies he uses carbonfiber in the forend as standard practise with no price mark up. He also offers most if not all his stocks in two different weights, ultralight or standard. It’s also important to know the inletting is cast in, not machined.

If you order a plain blank, you will need to sand and fill the mold seam lines, drill and tap the two marked aluminum blocks to accept sling studs, glue on your recoil pad, pillar bed, glass bed, and paint the stock. There also may be other minor work needed, but if you’re at all handy they aren’t hard to finish.

I believe he is also willing to fill and sand, install studs and he keeps decelerators without the steel inserts instock which he can install at additional cost.

If we are specifically talking about his Steyr model, it is a dimensional copy of the professionals stock.
Thanks for that information.

F
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by bigJ

BJ, thank you for pointing us to http://www.wildcatcomposites.com/steyr.html#features10-1w
These ring the bell for me.

I can't find anything that says he does not ship fully inletted stocks to the USA. If that is the case, I have a friend in Edmonton. Can he buy the stock and ship it to me legally or is there some law about finished rifle stocks not being legal to ship the the USA from Canada?

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
It’s not a case of not being willing to send them, it’s a matter of the USA import restrictions. He sold many to the states until the USA made some sort of change where he no longer was allowed. Things may have changed by now, I’m not sure.
Stuart is a friendly guy, a phone call would clear it up.

I should also clarify, all his stocks are inletted, but need minor fitting and finishing. If you are Canadian, you can send him your rifle and he is willing to fit and finish the stock.

Last edited by bigJ; 09/15/23.
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Anything firearm related going between US and Canada has to be declared and getting it through is a big hassle.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
IC B2

F
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
Quick update, I am 100% surprised, but this is the most accurate rifle I own now. I shot with my go to handloads that I use for other rifles, 1/2" groups with 56 grains of IMR 4350 and Hornady 180 grain RNs. I literally shot it as received, did not touch anything, and fired a group at 100 yards. I could not see holes with the 6x fixed power Zeiss that was on it at 100 yards, but when I went of the the target the group was tightly centered in the x ring. I fired another group, same thing. Opening day shot the biggest 12 point buck I have ever seen in our county. I am pretty sure this will be my go to rifle the rest of my life. I have since put a 3 x 12 S&B on it and with the excellent dimming illumination on it, I love it even more. This bolt is much, much smoother and handles much better than my left handed Mausers.

I love everything about this rifle except the magazine and the POS plastic floorplate. What were they thinking?

Last edited by FSJeeper; 11/19/23.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Had this rifle in right hand 308win. Even though I'm a left this rifle actually fit me so well and was so smooth I could actually operate right handed without it feeling too awkward.

Your spot on about the material around the trigger guard and magazines. The plastic on these is really quite awful. A great shooting and handling rifle with some awful materials. It's almost there but has a few knocks holding it back.

While they are accurate and smooth I would still always have an Mauser 98 type design for more durability.

F
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by Theoldpinecricker
While they are accurate and smooth I would still always have an Mauser 98 type design for more durability.

100% agreed on Mauser reliability. If I could have only one bolt rifle, it would be my custom left handed Mauser.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Saw one of those sell a couple of days ago. I rarely see the stutzen style rifles with a left-handed bolt so it's always notable when one appears.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

540 members (12344mag, 2500HD, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 1234, 65 invisible), 2,820 guests, and 1,152 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,315
Posts18,487,290
Members73,968
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.