Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Mule Deer;
Good evening to you sir, I hope that you and Eileen are well tonight.

Thanks for the chuckle, I know you've mentioned that before and so help me I recall at least a couple times having a similar conversation with my late father.

Dad liked shorts in his Cooey 39 which was the same action as Bella Twin's Ace, but the 39 was just a wee bit longer barrel and bigger stock.

His one regret buying me a Lakefield Mossberg Mk II bolt action repeater was that it only fed long rifle ammo properly so his beloved shorts were out.

That was likely okay though as both longs and shorts became harder to get into the early '70's.

If anyone wants to read up about the rifle and CIL Whiz Bang Longs used, here's a link.

https://www.ammoland.com/2017/06/be...-the-1953-world-record-grizzly-and-more/

Thanks again for twigging some pleasant memories from long, long ago John.

All the best to you both this Thanksgiving.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
roanmtn;
Good evening to you sir, I trust the day behaved down in your part of the world and you're well.

For sure hopefully Phil looks in and gives some input as he's likely seen more bears cross over the great divide than any three other people I can think of.

As to your question, I knew a couple of fellows who were shooting mentors that grew up in the Kootenays back when bears could still be hunted and problem bears were just "dealt with" who shot at least a handful of grizzly each with a .270.

While I can't say this for certain, there might be a difference between shooting a garden or stock raiding bear and taking one up on the mountain - or not, I just don't know.

There was another Kootenay grizzly in a taxidermy shop that belonged to a father and son who were personal friends that died with a 180gr Sierra out of a .308 lever rifle, but so help me I can't say for certain if it was a 99 or an 88 now, that detail has slipped away.

Lastly and I'm cognizant it's not a .270, but a hunting mentor of mine who was a small farmer in the Peace Country during the Depression shot everything that needed shooting with a 95 in .30-40. That included whitetail, mulies, moose, elk, caribou, black bears and grizzly.

He talked about sometimes shooting more than one black bear a week to keep them out of the garden and how grizzly bears and hogs were problematic in that once they developed a taste for pork, there was no non-lethal way of changing a grizzly's opinion about it.

Anyways that's a few from up here, but again Phil would have better and more data.

All the best and Happy Thanksgiving.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by roanmtn
Wow! I am not believing someone didn't get badly hurt/killed with the smaller calibers. My experience tells me shot placement is the real deal here. In our modern times Mule Deer has told us about shot placement results. Thanks for your reply.

Shot placement ALWAYS matter. You can't miss the vitals with a 460 Weatherby and expect anything other than a schidt show.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Long time no see Dwayne. šŸ‘

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by TheKid
And where in the OP does he state grizzlies killed on an expensive guided hunt?

There are way more bears killed as incidentals when moose, caribou, or sheep hunting by residents each year than guided hunters kill. Scores more killed with whatever is handy in the boat or snow machine by rural dwellers. A huge percentage of the time the rifle employed will not be some giant magnum.

And in AK there are no caliber restrictions.

You are very correct, My mistake! I made the mistake of assuming that the OP from Tennessee was considering a hunt!

However, your reading comprehension is also somewhat lacking, as I very cleary stated (for those that can read) that a 22 Hornet is capable of killing most any animal on Earth.

I guess that we both have our reading/comprehension flaws! memtb

Last edited by memtb; 11/21/23.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

ā€œIā€™d like to be a good riflemanā€¦..but, I prefer to be a good hunterā€! memtb 2024
IC B2

R
roanmtn Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Mule Deer....I am utterly enjoying the responses to my question from you and others. I am now age seventy one and have hunted from the Yukon to Tennessee to Southern Africa with a.270 Win. I have had wonderful experiences with my custom Mark X 98 Mauser in .270 Win. with a 26 inch barrel. After all of these years I have become tired of opinions and no experience of a .270 being used on big brown bears. I am attempting to contact Mr. Shumaker as you have suggested. OH! By the way, I'll use my 9.3 x 62 on big dangerous stuff if I go back to Africa. My cape buffalo was killed with one shot with a 286gr X Bullet. Next time I will use your load of
66 grains Big Game behind the X Bullet.

Last edited by roanmtn; 11/21/23. Reason: Spelling

Glenn Campbell
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have killed only 2 grizzlies, certainly not an expert, but my first was a 7 foot bear in Montana with a 25-35. It is all I had and one shot between the eyes was all it tookā€¦

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
And then there's the rumor that expert shot, multiple bear killer and Alaskan game warden Hosea Sarber was out with his .270 and got eaten by a bear, because he had an inadequate rifle. There are other rumors about that particular incident as well (such as salmon poachers got him), that's just one of them.

Last edited by Riflehunter; 11/21/23.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
My son at 17 shot his second brown bear with a 25-06. Two 100% lethal shots at about 150 yards. Bear facing left swapped ends after the first shot and was running flat out across an avalanche chute. Second shot nearly crossed paths with the first and dual entrance and exit wounds on each side were less than two inches apart.

80gr TTSXs destroyed the heart.

He has also killed multiple black bears, Sitka deer, mountain goat, a huge-bodied bull moose, multiple caribou, and more with the combo.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Well, Bella Twin has been mentioned. How far can we be from a Karamojo Bell sighting in this thread?

IC B3

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I plan to take a 30-06 with 180s next Fall when I go to the Alaska range. My buddy will also have a tag and has also opted to bring a 30-06. Guide is good with it and both of us shoot the rifles well.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
2 friends and I did a drop-camp Caribou hunt on the N slope of AK in 2011. 2 270's shooting 140gn Barnes TSX and 1 7Rem Mag loaded with 160gn Partitions. We didn't even see a bear, but, I guess I wouldn't have felt undergunned with the 270's or 7Rem we had in camp. When we got back to Kavik we found out that a camp 5Mi up-river from us had to DLP a Griz that wouldn't leave their camp alone.

In a "hunt" situation, really about any rifle I could shoot well with a fairly stout bullet would be fine.

In a charge/wounded/pissed-off bear situation I'd want every ounce of kenetic energy and every MM of penetration I was capable of summoning.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Forgive my ignorance but what is DLP?
I assume shot in self defense but IDK.

"Aim right, squeeze light"
" Might as well hit what you're aiming at, it kicks the same whether you miss or not"
NRA Life, GOA
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Defense of Life or Property. You have to skin out the bear and turn it in to Fish and Game.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by kaboku68
Defense of Life or Property. You have to skin out the bear and turn it in to Fish and Game.
Thank you!

"Aim right, squeeze light"
" Might as well hit what you're aiming at, it kicks the same whether you miss or not"
NRA Life, GOA
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Cousin Tom shot one with his 270 Win 150 gr mature Brown bear out of Valdez

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Well I'm not taking my 270 on my brown bear hunt this springšŸ¤«

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yeah I used my 375 H&H with 300gr tsx for my kodiak bear. Shot a dink not as big as some mentioned here. Only measured 9feet.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
Well I'm not taking my 270 on my brown bear hunt this springšŸ¤«

Come on Dennisā€¦ā€¦we need to catch up with some of the others in the world of hunting. Over at LongRangeHunting, many are pushing the concept of ā€œhotā€ 22ā€™s for the largest of NA game!

For some folksā€¦ā€¦I highly recommend the use of .22 centerfires for the big bears! šŸ˜‰ Oh, and for those folksā€¦ā€¦they should insist that the guide be unarmed! šŸ˜ memtb

Last edited by memtb; 11/23/23.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

ā€œIā€™d like to be a good riflemanā€¦..but, I prefer to be a good hunterā€! memtb 2024
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Shooting a Grizzly with a 270 is about like shooting a big northern deer with a 243 or a small texas deer with a 223 scale wise. Not a problem, just hit them right with a good bullet. A 338 or 375 isn't going to kill them any quicker if you if you don't hit them right.

Throughout time I'd hasten to bet more grizzlies have been killed with 30-30's and 30-06's than anything else, add the .303 for Canada.

Eskimos like the 223 and 22-250 for polar bears.

Shoot it with whatever blows your skirt up.

Saw one shot 9 times with a 358 norma mag and the thing was still flopping around. Saw a 30-06 180 hornady interlock bang flop one with one shot. The 30-06 bear was much larger. Shot placement is what matters.

Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

275 members (10Glocks, 160user, 12344mag, 1lessdog, 1lesfox, 219DW, 20 invisible), 1,787 guests, and 1,025 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,872
Posts18,478,765
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.