Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by bushrat
Shooting a Grizzly with a 270 is about like shooting a big northern deer with a 243 or a small texas deer with a 223 scale wise. Not a problem, just hit them right with a good bullet. A 338 or 375 isn't going to kill them any quicker if you if you don't hit them right.

Throughout time I'd hasten to bet more grizzlies have been killed with 30-30's and 30-06's than anything else, add the .303 for Canada.

Eskimos like the 223 and 22-250 for polar bears.

Shoot it with whatever blows your skirt up.

Saw one shot 9 times with a 358 norma mag and the thing was still flopping around. Saw a 30-06 180 hornady interlock bang flop one with one shot. The 30-06 bear was much larger. Shot placement is what matters.

I can’t argue with any of what you stated…..though, with one addendum……I’ll bet more have been wounded by 30-30’s and .303’s than any other rounds also! It’s simply math! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
GB1

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Eskimoes shoot what ever they have, if the game gets away here is always another.
Bullet placement is important, but what you hit them with is equally important.

One of my older friends, now gone, was a guide in Alaska for both polar bear and brown bear. His favorite rifle was a .270 and at one time he said 130 Silvertips. I would prefer something else, but he did it for years.

Another old timer now gone shot a .300 H & H with 180 Rem factory loads. He killed a ton of the big bears.

Molon Labe
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by MickeyD
. ..and let's not forget that Phil killed a brownie with a puny little ol' 9mm pistol.

Seems like with good shot placement and the right bullets that not much else matters.

And a full mag dump with the 9.... smile

A guy I worked with in the 70's got cross-ways of a sow griz and her 2 year-old twins out of Pt. Hope. .243, but he did have to go back up to his 3-wheeler for an 11th round to finish the last wounded bear.

Last edited by las; 11/23/23.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
There are absolutely NO substitutes for shot placement and bullet performance!

A well constructed and well placed bullet from a 270 or 30-06 will kill a big bear as quick as any caliber

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Back in the territory days and just after statehood my father in law, his brother and their “old man” used a .222 Rem Mag for several brown bear. Uncle Rick was almost eaten by a Kodiak that wasn’t impressed by either the 25-06 nor the .270 but he eventually succumbed to a 115gr 25-06 between the eyes.

The .270 would not be my first choice for big bears but with a mono or a premium C&C to the right spot it’ll kill them. I would NOT choose that but if that’s all I had I absolutely WOULD go hunting.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.

.....dang Phil.....that's a little harsh....editors and advertisers might be offended... grin grin grin

The data and opinions contained in these posts are the results of experiences with my equipment. NO CONCLUSIONS SHOULD BE DRAWN FROM ANY DATA PRESENTED, DO NOT, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, ATTEMPT TO REPLICATE THESE RESULTSj
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Originally Posted by 458Win

A well constructed and well placed bullet from a 270 or 30-06 will kill a big bear as quick as any caliber

I wonder if this statement is specific to “hunting” an un-wounded, calm bear as opposed to what you would choose to protect yourself and others from an enraged charge?

I absolutely understand if it’s the first but would be especially curious if your lifetime of experience has convinced you of the second as well.

Thanks for being here.

M
M
Although not as well versed as some on this site, I can say I have not seen much difference in killing power between the bears-both brown and black- that I've shot with my 308, and those that I shot with my 300win and 375. With all due respect to opinions on this site, the moose I have broken down have had thicker hide and ribs than the bears I have shot and have seen shot, and many of those have been with 243, 270, and 308.

It used to amaze me what folks would hunt with around here...a lot of 223s, 22-250s, 243s, 270s, 30-30s, and 30-06s. At one point I was told that you couldn't swing a cat without hitting a 270 around here; I would agree. I know- and some on this site know- a well-versed hunter on the south side of Iliamna Lake that has hunted most of her life with a handed down .300 Savage.

As has been said, good bullets put in the right place are what do the work.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Anteloper
Originally Posted by 458Win

I wonder if this statement is specific to “hunting” an un-wounded, calm bear as opposed to what you would choose to protect yourself and others from an enraged charge?

I absolutely understand if it’s the first but would be especially curious if your lifetime of experience has convinced you of the second as well.

Thanks for being here.
You can read what Phil sometimes uses to follow up wounded big bears. Bet he likes a client who can shoot.

DF

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by CharlieSisk

.....dang Phil.....that's a little harsh....editors and advertisers might be offended... grin grin grin

Charlie, I hate to be the guy who tells you, but in todays world most people seem to think that the truth is harsh 🙄

But it really doesn’t matter very much whether an animal is resting or charging , a well placed bullet that penetrates will quickly kill it.

The only reason I carry a bigger caliber is that sometimes when things are going sideways it’s difficult to quickly place your bullets and that is when a bigger bore with excess power can sometimes make a difference.
I have killed bears with a lot of different calibers , from the 9mm handgun to the 505 Gibbs, and the more experience I gained with the larger rifles , the more I learned to appreciate the standard 458 Win.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

IC B3

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
Eskimoes shoot what ever they have, if the game gets away here is always another.

That has not been my experience after hunting with many Inuits across the Canadian North.
But am interested in hearing about your experience.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

That has not been my experience after hunting with many Inuits across the Canadian North.
But am interested in hearing about your experience.

Certainly not my experience either. While I have not spent a lot of time with Inuit, I have guided with, and hunted and fished with other indigenous men and women. If anything, they are more careful about utilizing all of what they harvest, and go to great effort to secure it.

Ted

R
roanmtn Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Since I am the OP, can someone please tell me what does OP mean?

Glenn Campbell
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Original Poster

R
roanmtn Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Thanks? I'm learning a new vocabulary here on the 24hourcampfire

Glenn Campbell
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Mule deer, that was reported in Outdoor Life by JOC. I think it was in reference to polar bears.

Molon Labe
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by roanmtn
Thanks? I'm learning a new vocabulary here on the 24hourcampfire
Some you may need to un-learn.

Ha!

I’ve learned a lot over the years I’ve spent here, exchanging info.

We’re fortunate to have this level of expertise, experience and camaraderie.

DF

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Mule deer, that was reported in Outdoor Life by JOC. I think it was in reference to polar bears.

Would like to see the quote. To my knowledge (and I have all of O'Connor's books, plus some of his magazine writing) he never hunted with Inuits or for polar bears.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
I don't think he hunted P. bears, his was doing articles on N. America wildlife and the Polar Bear was covered. He mentioned the .22 Hornet and .222 as a favorite of the people because they could carry lots of ammo. The bears were incidental while hunting seals. It has been probably 50 years since I read this. I never kept much of his writing, but may have the article in a box in the reloading room. If I get to it, I will check it out.
If you can still access old Outdoor Life articles you may find it. I am almost 100 % sure that is where I read it. How he knew about I don't remember if he mentioned it.

Molon Labe
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Just wondering if there are any brown bear guides carrying 270 Win rifles for client back up on brown bear hunts ?

"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants".
Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

238 members (12344mag, 1lessdog, 1lesfox, 2500HD, 257 mag, 219DW, 18 invisible), 1,709 guests, and 928 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,872
Posts18,478,727
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.