Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
5Dad - You can get the same effect as that orange cap smell by hanging a dirty cameo sock there. smile

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Idaho does not require adults to wear orange. They ‘recommend’ it but not require it, as it should be. I’ve seen fewer and fewer orange clad hunters every year and so far this year I haven’t seen a single orange vest in the field, just some orange hats. So far I haven't heard of a single accidental shooting. Luck? Maybe, maybe not.

It's just more loss of freedom.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
V
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
V
Don't underestimate how stupid the average hunter can be. The LCRA used to have public land on Lake Travis that allowed deer and turkey hunts. One year a deer hunter climbed up in a tree and a turkey hunter shot him dead because he thought he was a turkey.

When I hunted deer/elk in Colorado we used to get up early and climb as high as we could before daylight so we'd be above the all hunters in the sagebrush flats below us. It was amazing how many orange vests we could see below pushing the deer uphill towards us.

Last edited by victoro; 11/22/23.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
144 sq inches here in Alabama is required.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by Ringman
Idaho does not require adults to wear orange. They ‘recommend’ it but not require it, as it should be. I’ve seen fewer and fewer orange clad hunters every year and so far this year I haven’t seen a single orange vest in the field, just some orange hats. So far I haven't heard of a single accidental shooting. Luck? Maybe, maybe not.

When you make up those stories about driving...are you wearing a seat belt?

I am MAGA.
IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
When the Big Orange Hat I wear at work makes its appearance, it marks the true start of winter here in the NEW.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
We had a hunter shot near here a few years ago on a shotgun only hunt at close range. The shooter said he thought it was a deer and I think the range was like 50 yards.

I'm always concerned when I see a hunter without binos. They're the guys that check everything out through their scope or don't know for sure what they are shooting at.

Bb

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
when was the last time you heard af a non-hunter being shot by a hunter (that wasn’t related)?

It's been a few years, but a girl hiking the AT here in GA was shot by a hunter. She got walked into the woods right at sunup to relieve herself. A hunter shot at sound.

https://jesseshunting.com/threads/teen-hiking-appalachian-trail-accidentally-shot-by.20322/

As I said earlier, when orange was 1st mandated I think it helped. But today I'm not so sure, and it may make things worse where required.

I read a study a few years ago comparing states where it is required to those where it is not. The numbers of hunters shooting other hunters was almost non-existent in all of them. It just doesn't happen much anymore. But there was no difference statistically between the states.

The thing that concerns me where it is required is that some hunters believe that if they don't see orange then it can't be another hunter. Depending on the terrain and vegetation you can have on orange and still not be seen. I think that hunters in areas where it is not required are more likely to be certain before pulling the trigger.

But at the same time I don't see it as a handicap at all.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I love orange. I wear it required or not. I wore it for years in SD bird hunting when no one else was. It's a hunting uniform and people love a man in uniform.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Originally Posted by Ringman

When you make up those stories about driving...are you wearing a seat belt?

When I was 18 I bought a car. I went to the auto parts store and bought a seat belt and tied it to the springs under the seat. I used it to keep me in front of the steering wheel. That was years before any seat belt law.

I also wore a motorcycle helmet before law required it.

Nevertheless I hate the laws taking away freedom from those who don't want them.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
IC B3

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Most states I've hunted in require some. I'll wear a vest or a hat or both. Never really given it a second thought. Just glad to be somewhere hunting.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a short sleeve orange t-shirt, covered with a long sleeved orange t-shirt, covered by a orange fleece. If it's super cold, I have a orange parka, orange neck gaitor and orange coveralls. I bring several different types of orange hats and gloves so I'm good with whatever the weather throws at me. I have been within 5 yards of elk covered completly in orange multiple times. Lot's of hunters in Colorado and I don't want to get shot!

A 380 in my pocket is better than a 45 in my truck!

Violence may not be the best option... but it's still an option.

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet." General James Mad Dog Mattis
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
And when I'm carrying out an elk head, I have an orange vest for him too! LOL!

A 380 in my pocket is better than a 45 in my truck!

Violence may not be the best option... but it's still an option.

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet." General James Mad Dog Mattis
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Game wardens will accept UT Vol Nation sports and fan sweats and ts, caps toques 😃too.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If I'm road hunting from my Ram truck do I need to wear my orange inside the truck......

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Yes road hunters must paint their trucks Blaze Orange to be legal.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
This is PA. If I didn't wear orange I'd be dead

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Bay1975
I cannot understand people believing blaze orange is somehow going to effect their hunting success. I’m a bow hunter I hunt with a real bow not a crossbow like a trans faq and I don’t even wear camouflage. I regularly kill deer at 10 yards and less. Why some man boobed , mouth breather with a rifle that plans to take pot shots at deer at 300 yards is concerned with blaze orange is beyond me. But then again these are probably the same morons buying camo socks to sit in a plywood treehouse to shoot at fawns?

You sound nice

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I think it’s a good idea

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by shaman
Originally Posted by Heeler
[

Sorry Shaman, couldn't help myself. laugh

[Linked Image]

I'm proud that I became an Internet meme.

Everytime I see it on Facebook I laugh

Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

586 members (204guy, 12344mag, 1234, 1936M71, 1beaver_shooter, 219 Wasp, 57 invisible), 2,446 guests, and 1,191 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,767
Posts18,515,462
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.