Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
It was not required in Alaska when we lived there but I have a nice upland vest that is orange so I wore it when bird hunting. More for the utility of the vest than the color. Plus when we traveled to Washington and I was bird hunting I had a vest to wear that complied with their regs.

I'll probably continue to wear it while bird hunting Idaho for the same reason

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 19352012
I love orange. I wear it required or not. I wore it for years in SD bird hunting when no one else was. It's a hunting uniform and people love a man in uniform.

I always liked it too

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I work way more than I hunt and wear orange for work way more than hunting.

Orange hat.

Dude at the grocery store wears the safety vest for cart wranglin'.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
You never know what kind of people are hunting on public or driving by road hunting. I have encountered people that got overly excited and said they shot at rustling leaves. Called taking a sound shot. It is a thing. You never know what kind of nut is in the woods or driving around road hunting.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I where it wear required.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Louisiana regs.... (copy and paste is easier than typing it)

Generally, when you’re hunting deer during the open firearms deer hunting season, you’re required to wear a total of at least 400 square inches of hunter orange or blaze pink on your head, chest and/or back.
If you’re hunting on privately-owned land, you may wear a hunter orange or blaze pink cap or hat in lieu of the 400 square inches.
If you’re hunting deer from elevated stands on privately-owned land, you are not required to wear hunter orange or blaze pink. However, if you’re hunting on privately-owned land where hunting with firearms is allowed, you must wear the 400 square inches of hunter orange or blaze pink OR a hunter orange or blaze pink cap or hat while walking to and from elevated stands.
If you’re an archery deer hunter hunting on lands where firearm hunting is not allowed, you are not required to wear hunter orange or blaze pink.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bbassi
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
We have areas with lots of hikers and bikers. They're the ones who need it.
As romantic as that sounds, when was the last time you heard af a non-hunter being shot by a hunter (that wasn’t related)?

Don’t get me wrong. I’m not disagreeing with you. It just doesn’t happen as often as we might expect it to I don’t think.

New York was the state that started it. When they first started their modern deer season it was a bit of a circular firing squad. Morbidity was extremely high. They did a study and decided on a few measures believed to reduce injury. Hunter Orange was one of them. With Hunter Ed, folks are taught basic catechisms like don't shoot at sounds, don't shoot at skylit animals, etc. All together, the morbidity stats dropped. No one ever went back and figured out the exact cause of the drop.

What is clear is that at the time of the hunter orange rule's inception, invisibility of the hunter was one of the primary causes of being shot. Whether that would be true today remains to be seen.

One thing I will say. I was hunting the Indian Creek WMA east of Cincinnati back 20-some years ago. It was socked in with fog. I hunted in the pea soup and heard and saw nothing. I started out around 10 and the sun came out just as I was approaching the rim. The fog rolled back and there were all these orange spots on the far hillside and down in the bottoms flitting around. It was incredible. What blew my mind was that, as I watched, they came remarkably close to each other without interacting. I'd been down in that soup for hours, and here were little blobs of orange like fireflies on the far hillside.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
These are random pics off the web... fkn disgusting blaze orange nonsense !!!!
[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Sadly... there are hundreds of these pics that support the gun control bs.... Far too many stupid mtrfkrs out in the woods with guns ...

So bad .. that that some states had to create "blaze orange" laws so these stupid mtrfkrs would stop shooting and killing each other every hunting season ... yet they still do !!!!

I bet if it was a hanging or firing squad offense then less stupid mtrfkrs would shoot other hunters and blaze orange would never be a requirement...

Thank God this stupidity isn't required in Alaska ....

"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants".
RAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Irony here is, NHFG promotes the use of Hunter Orange, but not for themselves. Hunter green, green black plaid, green with red shoulders, seem to be their wardrobe.

America is (supposed to be) a Republic, NOT a democracy. Learn the difference, help end the lie. Fear a government that fears your guns.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I hunt family land have neighbors on both sides so I do wear an orange cap. One stand I have in the woods I wear a orange vest sometimes depends what time of day it is.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Swamplord
These are random pics off the web... fkn disgusting blaze orange nonsense !!!!

Sadly... there are hundreds of these pics that support the gun control bs.... Far too many stupid mtrfkrs out in the woods with guns ...

So bad .. that that some states had to create "blaze orange" laws so these stupid mtrfkrs would stop shooting and killing each other every hunting season ... yet they still do !!!!

I bet if it was a hanging or firing squad offense then less stupid mtrfkrs would shoot other hunters and blaze orange would never be a requirement...

Thank God this stupidity isn't required in Alaska ....

🤣

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Virginia has seasonal requirements for blaze orange. During the general firearms season for deer, and during the early muzzle loading season for deer while hunting deer. I do wear it when required, but not during the seasons leading up to deer season. Though if I take a seat at a treee, I'll generally put a strip of blaze orange around the tree above my head.

Deer, moose and elk, and rodents, can't see orange. They see it as grey. I've never noticed blaze orange ever being a detriment hunting deer or squirrels. Turkeys cans see the full spectrum. But curiously, in the fall, turkeys don't seem to mind it. I've had turkesys work their way upo to my deer stand whgile I was in orange and not seem to mind. I've shuffled my feet and they wandered off, only to come back in 20 minutes or so.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by slumlord
Game wardens will accept UT Vol Nation sports and fan sweats and ts, caps toques 😃too.

Conveniently vol nation attire can be had at most county correctional facilities. Excellent for hwy cleanup and hunting...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Always hated wearing orange. (possibly because I chafe at being required to do anything)

Here it's cap and torso.

20 years ago we didn't need it in muzzleloader season, and I only wore a cap if I was
hunting with a gang. Many of those guys didn't, one young guy wore Carhart bibs,
the brown duck ones.

Last drive of the day, I was standing at the edge of a small opening. Could see about 75 yards to the heavy brush the drivers were pushing. I heard a little branch crack,
set my trigger turned so i could get the gun up in that general direction. Staring holes in the brush, just a little more rustling. Saw a bit of movement, then finally the guy in
bibs appeared.

I wasn't about to shoot at a sound. (Some do)
Didn't even have the muzzle pointed toward him, or the gun shouldered.
But it scared the Beejeebers out of me.
That brush was thick, if he had pushed a deer out when he was 20 or 30 yards
in, i absolutely would have shot in his direction. I've heard round balls go bouncing through brush, it's hard to tell where one might have went.

Still hate wearing orange.
Still ignore the law on occasion on our property.
But I'm now a firm believer in hats at least.
Off our property, or anytime I'm moving. The orange ribbon thing if sitting.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by shaman
What is clear is that at the time of the hunter orange rule's inception, invisibility of the hunter was one of the primary causes of being shot.

I don't believe "invisibility" is the right word because lots of times the shooter says they shot at something they saw and thought was an animal.

Mistaken for game is the term used by LE, it's misidentification.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RHClark
I always wear orange. It's the law here and a good idea.
Agree ....... I don't trust other folks with my safety.

I don't understand why so many bristle at having to wear it.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by smokepole
What is clear is that at the time of the hunter orange rule's inception, invisibility of the hunter was one of the primary causes of being shot.

I don't believe "invisibility" is the right word because lots of times the shooter says they shot at something they saw and thought was an animal.

That's a good point. However, it gets damn hard to say: "I thought it was a deer!" if the target is wearing orange.

Hunter Orange does help in shoot-through and shoot-pass accidents. If you see orange, anywhere in the field of view, it is wise to hold your shot.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by smokepole

“Sound shots” and pre Boomers allowed to hunt with buckshot in the good ole 1950s. Everyone so eager for that precious deer liver. Yum yum
🤮

Elmers with very little trigger restraint or discipline. I tell u whut u sombitch im gonna git me nuther one of them doe patches from the Herter’s on my jacket. Other Elmers will recognize me in the coffey shop as a successful hunter. They will envy me and my 63 Rambler painted flat black too.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I wear a fleece orange and camo vest. It has my GPS on one side and my 2-way radio on the other plus spare batteries.

I also carry some form of orange hat, a ball cap or a stocking hat. I tend to wear these when riding a bike in and out or carrying meat. If I don't have an orange hat I wrap some flagging on the one I have on.

Finally, I keep a mesh orange vest in my pack. I use it as a loaner, to mark points so I can return to a course, to cover game when packing it and to cut up for extra flagging if I run out.

I think the orange is more important when hunting rabbits-crows etc or shooting sage rats with a group.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
https://fox47.com/news/local/hunter...king-dog-in-adams-county-sunday-dnr-says

A deer hunter mistakenly shot a 47-year-old woman walking her dog Sunday in Adams County.

The Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources said the woman was walking her dog on a private property when a 62-year-old hunter believed her dog to be an antlerless deer and shot at the dog.

The incident happened during the opening weekend of gun deer hunting season.

The woman was struck in her abdomen and was transported to the hospital by Med Flight.

The incident is under investigation, according to the DNR, and it's not clear whether charges will be filed against the hunter.

Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

409 members (160user, 1badf350, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 1lesfox, 163bc, 34 invisible), 2,195 guests, and 1,052 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,761
Posts18,515,147
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.