Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
When you're on water it is good to wear bright colors.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I always wear a blaze orange cap during deer season, even though all of hunting is on private land and inside a shooting house. I carry an orange vest with me in case I have to walk the woods for some reason or another. Part of my farm borders some land owned by Mennonites and there is a hunter every 50 yards or so there, so it pays to be careful because they tend to shoot first regardless of who's land it is.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I only wear orange when I'm in jail.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Oldman03
Louisiana regs.... (copy and paste is easier than typing it)

Generally, when you’re hunting deer during the open firearms deer hunting season, you’re required to wear a total of at least 400 square inches of hunter orange or blaze pink on your head, chest and/or back.
If you’re hunting on privately-owned land, you may wear a hunter orange or blaze pink cap or hat in lieu of the 400 square inches.
If you’re hunting deer from elevated stands on privately-owned land, you are not required to wear hunter orange or blaze pink. However, if you’re hunting on privately-owned land where hunting with firearms is allowed, you must wear the 400 square inches of hunter orange or blaze pink OR a hunter orange or blaze pink cap or hat while walking to and from elevated stands.
If you’re an archery deer hunter hunting on lands where firearm hunting is not allowed, you are not required to wear hunter orange or blaze pink.

I keep one of those elastic orange toppers for cowboy hats with me in my backpack. Slip it over my ballcap when hiking in or out of my stand locations on private land. Works well enough.

Now with even more aplomb
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Wearing this now.[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by shaman
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by shaman
What is clear is that at the time of the hunter orange rule's inception, invisibility of the hunter was one of the primary causes of being shot.

I don't believe "invisibility" is the right word because lots of times the shooter says they shot at something they saw and thought was an animal.

Mistaken for game is the term used by LE, it's misidentification.

That's a good point. However, it gets damn hard to say: "I thought it was a deer!" if the target is wearing orange.

Hunter Orange does help in shoot-through and shoot-pass accidents. If you see orange, anywhere in the field of view, it is wise to hold your shot.

No doubt it helps. In Colorado the law was implemented at the same time mandatory hunter education was, I believe in 1970. Before that we averaged 20 "accidents" a year around 10 of them fatal, and after the numbers went way down. Some years we have zero fatalities, most years maybe 1 or 2 with a lot more people afield.

So it helps but I agree with everyone who says it should be voluntary.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by SDLEFTY
In SD it's required for deer but not pheasants. I've guided way too many casual bird hunters that I require it when I'm guiding them. The things I've seen them do boggles the mind at times. All common sense goes out the window when the action picks up.

Sdlefty, hit it on the head here.but I'd also add that the orange makes you visible in the background and might keep someone from shooting in your direction . Every year the SD Conservayion Digest in a fall issue reviews all firearms related shooting accidents.98+% of these accidental shooting happen by turkey and pheasant hunters with an occaisional one in waterfowl hunting. Once in a blue moon a shooting of a big game hunter with a ctr fire rifle. But only big game hunters are required to wear orange. Mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
With the ‘mistaken for game’ shootings, what % are in either sex seasons where it isn’t necessary to see antlers?

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Maybe check WISQARS database for injuries if they dissect it down that specific.

Gonna think old shaky farts climbing and falling out of tree stands causes more harm.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by slumlord
Maybe check WISQARS database for injuries if they dissect it down that specific.

Gonna think old shaky farts climbing and falling out of tree stands causes more harm.

No doubt. Unless you construct a Taj Majal with steps and a stone landing at the bottom..... grin

The last shooting fatality here was a guy with a muzzleloader who shot a bowhunter. The shooter had a bull tag, and there were antler point restrictions.

His story when he got to court was that he had been watching a five-point bull and the bowhunter somehow worked his way in between. But that's not what he told the deputy on the scene right after it happened. That story was that his buddy was trying to bugle one in and there were multiple bulls bugling and coming in.

They recovered the bowhunters cell phone and he had shot a video of himself listening to a bugle, and blowing his own bugle and saying he was moving in on a bull, right before the shooting.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

IC B3

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Always...

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by RHClark
I always wear orange. It's the law here and a good idea. I typically hunt on the ground out of a folding lawn chair. I've had many deer including trophy bucks, within 50 yards or less that never saw be. The key is to have enough in front of you to break up any pattern.

Same here

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
400 inches above the waist is the law in Montana. It’s the last thing I put on and first thing I take off when I am in the truck.

Hardly anything looks more stupid than a cab full of orange driving down the road…

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Wearing orange is dumb....but I put 5 gallons of raw honey...7 quarts of petroleum jelly, a can of Stanadyne and 8 quarts of ATF strained through pantyhose in every tank of diesel for my diesel pickups.

Just pays to be careful ya know?

I am MAGA.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by shrapnel
400 inches above the waist is the law in Montana. It’s the last thing I put on and first thing I take off when I am in the truck.

Hardly anything looks more stupid than a cab full of orange driving down the road…

Judging by your photos, you bring at least 2-3 sets of clothes and several different old rifles. Must take you some serious time posing with your various hunting costumes dragging deer between winter wheat and more natural grass habitats.

Poser, literally.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by BuzzH

Judging by your photos, you bring at least 2-3 sets of clothes and several different old rifles. Must take you some serious time posing with your various hunting costumes dragging deer between winter wheat and more natural grass habitats.

Poser, literally.

You keep trying, but you are still a loser. Remind us again how many elk you have killed.

What a piece of $hit you are, basking in your homemade radiance. You brag of how many days you hunt each fall. You claim over 22 in November alone. As the quintessential killer you claim to be, that means 3 days killing stuff and the rest bragging about it…

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Idaho does not require adults to wear orange. They ‘recommend’ it but not require it, as it should be. I’ve seen fewer and fewer orange clad hunters every year and so far this year I haven’t seen a single orange vest in the field, just some orange hats. So far I haven't heard of a single accidental shooting. Luck? Maybe, maybe not.

I despise the "rule".
So far, I've been fortunate enough to always being able to hunt private ground, so orange isn't a big deal.
Oklahoma requires "hunter orange" anytime you hunt except for turkeys and waterfowl. Private or public land.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
With the ‘mistaken for game’ shootings, what % are in either sex seasons where it isn’t necessary to see antlers?
Not needing to see antlers would explain the mistaken for bear homicides...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
When I was a kid back in the 70's....

My Mom wouldn't allow us kids to wear white during deer season and we couldn't play outside without orange of some sort

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by BuzzH

Poser, literally.

You keep trying, but you are still a loser. Remind us again how many elk you have killed.

What a piece of $hit you are, basking in your homemade radiance. You brag of how many days you hunt each fall. You claim over 22 in November alone. As the quintessential killer you claim to be, that means 3 days killing stuff and the rest bragging about it…

It's not a race to see who can kill the first raghorn and 2 year old mule deer buck out of the wheat stubble.

I hunted 22 days in a row will be hunting the rest of today. Tomorrow I'll check a couple whitetail spots on my way home from hunting Montana. You know, with my cheap NR Native tags. Will meet up with some friends to get some elk killed in Wyoming. Then off to Arizona to chase coues deer.

My hunting schedule would kill the average man.

Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

126 members (44mc, 7887mm08, 35, AceBall, achlupsa, 12 invisible), 1,733 guests, and 826 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,760
Posts18,514,972
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.