Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Why would anyone care if the cartridge used was in the B&C Book? The cartridge would make no difference at all other than maybe something for people to talk about!

GB1

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by DonFischer
Why would anyone care if the cartridge used was in the B&C Book? The cartridge would make no difference at all other than maybe something for people to talk about!

Which is exactly why some want it to be listed--so they can "discuss" whether their favorite cartridge is better, which seems to be one of the primary discussions on the Campfire.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

Which is exactly why some want it to be listed--so they can "discuss" whether their favorite cartridge is better, which seems to be one of the primary discussions on the Campfire.

I know I’d be interested myself.

Semper Fi
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C

Why would anyone care about which hunter shot the animal? It's all about the animal. You are so ludicrous.

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Ghost And The Darkness

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by buffybr
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
I'd like to see the most current edition of B&C records. A Coast Guard guy named David Simmerman killed a brown bear I had been hunting. I think it fell just outside the top 10. That would have been around 1998.
There are 14 pages of the Alaskan Brown Bear records in the latest (15th Edition) B&C Records of North American Big Game.

I could not find David Simmerman's name listed.

Even if he had his bear officially scored, maybe he did not enter it.

In my own case, when I shot my Musk Ox and one of my Central Canadian Barren Ground Caribou, I had them officially scored, but I didn't send them into B&C headquarters for several years. Then after I shot my Quebec-Labrador Caribou and had him scored, the B&C official measurer, who I have known for over 30 years, asked me why I hadn't sent in the score sheets of my other animals, and he was a little upset that I hadn't sent them in. So I then sent all 3 of those score sheets in, and now I'm very honored to have been included in both the 30th and 31st B&C Big Game Award books and also this new 15th Edition Record Book.

Thank you for checking on that.

Congrats on your accomplishments!

IC B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
I think something we forget is years ago there were very few calibers to choose from.Until the 1960's the main calibers were .30-30 class .300 Sav/.30-40 class and the 06/.270 class. The only magnum in an average rifle was the .300 H&H. When I started elk hunting in the 70's, the .300 Sav. was common then probably the 06 and .270. The .25-06 wasn't very old so some were trying that. There simply wasn't much selection.
Also in this area elk hunting was just getting off the ground so to speak. The few elk that were here existed in the mountains. Shots were not very long unless you found one in a park or clear cut. So the old deer hunters just used their deer rifles for elk. Shots were close, and at large target. Also rifles in the west were more difficult to come by than in more populated areas.
Gradually, elk spread over all of Wyoming today, every part of the state is an elk area of some kind. Now much of the shooting is in open prairie country or large open canyons.
And rifles of all kinds are fairly cheap and ammo was usually easily obtained. I think these changes are forgotten by most folks, or they never saw things in the old days.

Very good points all!

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by colorado

Why would anyone care about which hunter shot the animal? It's all about the animal. You are so ludicrous.

lol…….👍

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Not what folks are asking for regarding record books, but, a bit about effectiveness on just under 1000 elk culled out of Teddy Roosevelt Nat'l Park 2010-2013.

TRNP Culling Non-Lead Projectile Results

We can still have a spirited debate about chamberings AND throw in copper vs. traditional projectiles too. Should be good for about 50 pages now. (grin)

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

572 members (1minute, 1badf350, 17CalFan, 204guy, 1936M71, 71 invisible), 2,340 guests, and 1,376 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,683
Posts18,493,925
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.