-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I may pick up one of the Left Hand 10-22's sometime, but I really like my 10-22 as it's set up right now... Beyer mid-weight barrel, Ruger (super light) plastic factory stock, pretty much nothing original except the receiver. It's accurate and only weighs around 4 1/2 pounds.

The empties flying out the right side of Ruger's 10-22 action don't bother me, never had an issue with brass hitting me or even coming close... But I struggle with disengaging the safety quickly.

So when Ruger came out with the LH 10-22, I wanted to try out the Left Hand 10-22 Trigger Group. Thanks to Crystal at Ruger Customer Service (cweidlichruger.com), I was able to get one ($95.96/shipped). After ordering it, she called me back and asked if it was for a LH or a RH 10-22... That if it was for a RH rifle, the technician said that he would put a cut for the ejector for RH ejection. I knew up front this would be an issue and figured I'd do the cut when I got it - but took them up on the offer.

I have yet to tear it down, but everything else appears to be the same as a RH trigger group. The pull as received, is a consistent 2#-14 oz.

It suffers from two common 10-22 maladies; 1.) the bolt doesn't release from locked open if you pull the charging handle back, I thought they remedied that on the BX-Trigger? Doesn't matter, drop in parts are available or a couple of minutes with a dremel will remedy this. and 2.) Magazines don't drop freely. A bit more problematic, but I've got a magazine latch plunger that I've already modified.

I dropped it in and ran a couple of magazines through it, no issues. I'll play with it more and tear it down later.

Just to be very clear; This is in a RH 10-22 and I am using RH (not LH) magazines.

Furthermore; The LH 10-22 Trigger group is not a catalogued item - you have to contact Ruger customer service, and the Ruger technician cutting a RH ejector slot was a courtesy.

Jerry

Picture showing the ejector in the slot for RH ejection;
[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

Top Trigger is a LH Trigger Group modified for use in a RH 10-22 Action. Bottom Trigger is a standard RH Trigger Group;
[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

Si vis pacem, para bellum
GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I've never had an issue using the Ruger 10-22 safety. The modification in the picture looks extremely simple to do. I also would not get rid of my right handed 10-22 to get a left hand model. YMMV. However, with this being said, if modifications render the rifle with some issues, I would not do them. Mags should drop out like a hot knife through butter. I've carried the 10-22 a lot in the field, and never had an issue using the right hand safety. Same can be said with the Rem 1100's and 870's. However, I do prefer the left hand 870. The left hand 10-22 has too many idiosyncrasies, that I will likely never buy one. Until it's designed better. No left hand mags for example.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
"The modification in the picture looks extremely simple to do."

BSA, If you're referring to changing the ejection on a LH trigger group from LH to RH then yes, an easy Mod.

"YMMV. However, with this being said, if modifications render the rifle with some issues, I would not do them. Mags should drop out like a hot knife through butter."

Yes they should, but I've had several 10-22's... In factory form some would always drop free, some would not with some magazines, and a few would seldom drop free. It's a bother, but fixable.

Likewise, no 10-22 without a modified bolt lock will release the bolt by pulling the bolt handle back, doesn't matter if it's a LH or a RH trigger group.

Jerry

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
They make LH safeties for RH 10/22s...Tom

https://www.pikearms.com/catalog/product/5040-00418

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Tom,

Thanks a lot for the link.

I'll pick one up and see about installing it in my Kidd trigger.

Jerry

IC B2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

174 members (3333vl, akpls, 450yukon, 264mag, 805, 204guy, 24 invisible), 2,063 guests, and 1,153 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,626
Posts18,492,886
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.