Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Tyrone
Originally Posted by stinkycoyote
I'd take a 30-30 over the 7.62x39 by a mile for a hunting cartridge that burns only 30 grains of powder.
You had me until that! LOL! smile

Good write-up.

thanks, and that's correct, the sd of the typical 7.62x39 is barely deer size game adequate, under .2...the 30-30 with 150 and 170 gr bullets the norm is more than adequate for deer size game with 150's and the 170s take it well into 3rd class game...that's an entirely different level than the 7.62x39, no joke, if big game hunting and the choices is a .30 cal only burning 30 grains...it's 30-30 every day that ends in Y and twice on Sundays wink

GB1

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by LSU fan
How much shorter would you expect the barrel life to be on the arc? And how are you calculating efficiency?

a similar ratio between the 6.5 creedmoor and 6 creedmoor....we already know you couldn't wear out a 6.5 Grendel bolt action barrel..but adding a couple hundred fps might be a different story with the Arc, will it still be awesome barrel life...more than likely, can you wear one out? perhaps, if they do with ppc/br/dashers then you probably have your answer, keep to saami pressures will certainly help, that 123gr at 52,000 psi and 2400 fps isn't ever gonna need a tube

Very few people are going to shoot enough to wear out a 6arc barrel, even at the Hornady bolt action loads of 62k psi. I definitely wouldn’t neuter it just to prolong the life

as for barrel length and bullets getting to their speeds in what lengths, slower heavier gets to it's thing over shorter distances, faster lighter stuff seems to need more length to get to its speed, so decades of listening to gun talk on the forums say, 308 vs 6 creedmoor...16" barrel...which one you choosing and why? will let the extra experts quantify it if needed, example, the factory rating of 108 vs 123 eldm is about 4 ft/lbs more ke than the 108, do believe this gap widens as you go shorter between light/heavy same charges etc. bows do this too, shot 70 lb for ages, 350 gr arrows would leave with 70 ft/lbs ke, 450 gr arrows would leave with 72 ft/lbs ke...same bow, its not a linear thing going from slower heavier to lighter faster

A lot to unpack here but the key is for decades the gun forums have spouted untrue bullshit. People repeat what they think they know without actually collecting data. I’d take the 6 creed all day and expect approx the same velocity loss per inch between that and the 308. Maybe a little more but not enough to care about.

Foot pounds of energy is meaningless but go for it gives you a warm fuzzy feeling.

Nothing wrong with the Grendel but your reasons for choosing it over the arc are a little off….

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The ARC simply squirts a .620 BC,at a velocity the 264 Grendel can’t even BEGIN to attain,with a BC in the realm. Such facts reliably hurt Tender Feelers and contrived Stupidity. Hint.

With same one simply arranges flatter trajectory,less wind drift,greater impacty velocity and increased Terminal Effects,starting at the muzzle and they never wane. Recoil is reduced to boot. Hint.

Hurt Feeler Reports can’t/won’t change Physics. Hint…………….

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I really like the 6.5 grendel... Honestly since you are look at a bolt gun, the Howa mini carbon is really lite... would make a great little package.

The worst thing ever to happen to cops is the personal video recorder... Now people can see the truth
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I'd take a 30-30 over the 7.62x39 by a mile for a hunting cartridge that burns only 30 grains of powder.

Good write-up.

thanks, and that's correct, the sd of the typical 7.62x39 is barely deer size game adequate, under .2...the 30-30 with 150 and 170 gr bullets the norm is more than adequate for deer size game with 150's and the 170s take it well into 3rd class game...that's an entirely different level than the 7.62x39, no joke, if big game hunting and the choices is a .30 cal only burning 30 grains...it's 30-30 every day that ends in Y and twice on Sundays wink

Man, I’m starting to feel like I’m picking on you but…. SD has been irrelevant for a long time now. I damn sure wouldn’t factor than in when picking a cartridge.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I have Howie Mini Carbons in 224,243 and 264 Grendel,as well as Gas Passers. Hint.

She’s Pretending aloud and is a CLUELESS Drooling Dumbfhuqk. Hint……..

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Big Stick
I have Howie Mini Carbons in 224,243 and 264 Grendel,as well as Gas Passers. Hint.

She’s Pretending aloud and is a CLUELESS Drooling Dumbfhuqk. Hint……..
What size of game have you used the 6MM on? How do the long high BC bullets expand at farther distance with it?

H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
While SD is pretty irrelevant, especially with whitetails….I’m betting the 154gr 7.62x39 SPs have decent SD, if one cares. I’m also fairly certain that given the same case size, the larger bore is generally more efficient for burn, velocity vs projectile weight, and barrel length vs velocity….just as a rule of thumb.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I have never seen a .243” 112gr hit anything larger than Booner Black Bears. Hint.

If only for conversation, wears a .271 SD(moot) and a .620 BC (such things MATTER). Hint.

I rather like them at 1500fps impact velocity. From a 2750fps short barreled 243 Grendel launch, in current atmospherics at the house,that is 1000yds+. Hint.

Just saying………

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
They do matter, can you buy that off the shelf loaded and ready to go? No, so then wtf are you talking about lol, why not shoot the dasher if you are going custom level top reloading options, you always put 91 octane in your Honda Civic? Weirdo

These discussions to include everyone and be apples to apples have to be factory off the shelf. What section are win here little stick? Don’t you have some .22’s to shoot? Lmao

IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

Good write-up.

Man, I’m starting to feel like I’m picking on you but…. SD has been irrelevant for a long time now. I damn sure wouldn’t factor than in when picking a cartridge.

It’s the other way around, walking you into it lol. Do tell what the winning formula is please?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You Clueless Drooling Google Gals are a hoot! Hint.

I just had 1-7” K&P Dasher spout for my Accuracy International AT hit the porch and it too is slated for 112’s expressly. Hint.

Though if only in “fairness” I shoot them in 6x45,243 Grendel,6 ARC,6 BR,6 XC,Seex Kreed,243 Win,243 AI,6-284 and 6-06. Hint.

You Brokedick Day Dreaming Dumbfhuqks are HILARIOUS! Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!…………

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L

Good write-up.

It’s the other way around, walking you into it lol. Do tell what the winning formula is please?

Sure you are. My version of the winning formula is to match bullet construction to impact velocity, put a premium on shot placement, and kill stuff.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

Good write-up.

Sure you are. My version of the winning formula is to match bullet construction to impact velocity, put a premium on shot placement, and kill stuff.

I see, well that wins most of time with common bullet choices and cartridges but you are missing that final ingredient and it’s as simple as explaining why they 150 is known as great deer bullet in 30-06 and the 180 is for elk/moose. Penetration depths matter for game intended so you’re just getting lucky with you’re formula. The current best is matching construction with impact velocities FOR GAME INTENDED which means including sd to understand if you’ve got a 14” penetration option or a 36” penetration option. Class dismissed wink

And yes this automatically assumes we can place the shot as there is no replacement for placement. You still don’t take a 30-06 125 gr psp for Alaskan moose and why that would be better suited to coyotes and wolves. Sd is the answer.

Last edited by stinkycoyote; 11/30/23.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I only have (1) 7-08 which has killed (5) Moose in as many shots ala 120TSX. All exited. SD is fhuqking moot. Hint.

Keep Pretending aloud with your Google,you Amazingly CLUELESS Fhuqk. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!…………

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L

Good write-up.

I see, well that wins most of time with common bullet choices and cartridges but you are missing that final ingredient and it’s as simple as explaining why they 150 is known as great deer bullet in 30-06 and the 180 is for elk/moose. Penetration depths matter for game intended so you’re just getting lucky with you’re formula. The current best is matching construction with impact velocities FOR GAME INTENDED which means including sd to understand if you’ve got a 14” penetration option or a 36” penetration option. Class dismissed wink

And yes this automatically assumes we can place the shot as there is no replacement for placement. You still don’t take a 30-06 125 gr psp for Alaskan moose and why that would be better suited to coyotes and wolves. Sd is the answer.

90% sure you’re trolling….

H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H

Good write-up.

90% sure you’re trolling….

One would think. Otherwise, it’s a lot a bandwidth to tell us he doesn’t understand hunting bullets, without just telling us he doesn’t understand hunting bullets.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Big Stick
I only have (1) 7-08 which has killed (5) Moose in as many shots ala 120TSX. All exited. SD is fhuqking moot. Hint.

Keep Pretending aloud with your Google,you Amazingly CLUELESS Fhuqk. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!…………

because the mono keeps all of its weight means it loses the least amount of sd as compared to typical cup and core designs, bonded rides much closer to mono for these comprehensions, which we're still working on here, careful with those projections

sd and construction and impact velocity for game intended is the formula, just because one happens to choose mostly from adequate choices doesn't mean one actually understands why it works, hint, facking clueless

ever thought about sectional density reduction rate? why does the 120 mono work so good for moose and why didn't you use the 120 ballistic tip? you ready for this little stick?

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by hh4whiskey
One would think. Otherwise, it’s a lot a bandwidth to tell us he doesn’t understand hunting bullets, without just telling us he doesn’t understand hunting bullets.

lol, hang in there, we're just getting into the good stuff, not trolling but I'll take that as a compliment considering this forum's overall politeness lol, class is in

trolling, educating...which one is it? we will find out soon

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Your Googlefhuqkery is hilarious,you Magnificently STUPID Fhuqk. Hint…………..

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

521 members (10gaugemag, 222ND, 163bc, 1badf350, 219DW, 1Longbow, 66 invisible), 2,540 guests, and 1,107 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,485
Posts18,529,733
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.