Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
If lubrication is your goal, there are LOTS of better choices.

If rust protection is your goal, it kind of depends on the circumstances. It's fair at that for inside, low humidity situations.

Rarely does one product fill both roles the "best".

Cleaning is cleaning, & depends on what you are trying to clean. Again, a dedicated cleaner will almost always work "best".

MM

Hi MontanaMan,

My goal is to do the best possible job I can do on every aspect of my M1917 while refinishing it.

The rifle has fed me for years so it deserves the best. I bought Ballistol, based on one particular video I watched by a very serious gun collector.

I am open to all suggestions, and definitely not adverse to using different lubricants for different parts of the barrel and action.

Last edited by KillerBee; 11/27/23.

KB

GB1

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Well guys, I finally used the BALLISTOL I bought last month today while cleaning out the action and the inside and out of the barrel of my M1917. I really like the stuff and am happy I bought it! Cleans very well and leaves a super slick lubricating residue.

The outside of my barrel looks new which says a lot, especially being a 106-year-old barrel. My barrel looked clean before I started, but after spraying it and letting it soak for a while, I was surprised to see some brown gunk come off the barrel on my blue shop rag.

Everything looks brand spanking new, looking forward to killing something with my freshly cleaned and lubricated action and barrel, I know you guys know exactly what I mean.......hehe

Two big Thumbs up from me. cool

Last edited by KillerBee; 12/11/23.

KB

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Not a stock holder or have any interest in....But all of my guns look new, they get cleaned after every outing. I hunt around the world, literally. I carry a spray can of G-96 in my gun case, checked baggage for airline transport. It has been a companion for 50 years. For shotguns, a spray of G-96 down the barrel, set in a garbage can, left for two hours and a full day of a 2,000 bird shoot comes mirror clean with a bore snake, dissolves the shell cup plastic, lead, powder, etc. Displaces water in the rain too.

Inside my rifle bores I use Sweet Shooter. It is Techron suspended in a solvent, reported to make a slick, easy to clean bore, when shot in the wet bore break in process.

“To expect defeat is nine-tenths of defeat itself. It becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. It is best to plan for all eventualities then believe in success, and only cross the failure bridge if you come to it."
Francis Marion - The Swamp Fox
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for your input Rapier, holly-mac you sound like on serious Shooter/Hunter!

I use Truly Remarkable Bore Solvent inside my barrels, and it works great. Usually, I only shoot 5 to ten rounds per year out of my M1917 so it works very well for me.

When researching the best bore solvents, I read an online article by OutdoorLife, in their article they list Hoppe's Famous No. 9 as the Best Overall solvent on the market, go figure. Best Spray was BALLISTOL from what I have seen so far it's exceptional.

I will be looking into Sweet Shooter and was surprised it wasn't on the OutdoorLife shortlist. Neither was Truly Remarkable.

https://www.outdoorlife.com/gear/best-gun-cleaning-solvents/

* Best Overall: Hoppe’s No. 9
* Best CLP: Break Free CLP
* Best Solvent and Lube: FrogLube Extreme
* Best Non-Toxic: Breakthrough Military-Grade Solvent
* Best for Copper Fouling: Barnes CR-10
* Best Spray: Ballistol
* Shooter’s Choice MC-7 Bore Cleaner
* Lucas Oil Extreme Duty Bore Solvent
* Shooter’s Choice Maximum Strength Copper Remover

Last edited by KillerBee; 12/12/23.

KB

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Interesting list. Barnes cr-10 did not work well for me. I like Montana Copper Killer followed by No. 9. Only been using N0. 9 for 65 years.

Show class, have pride, and display character. If you do, winning will take care of itself.
Coach Bryant.
IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
i used to go out and buy "today's" copper cleaner and gun oil. i found that Sweets, Shooters Choice and Gunslick's foaming bore cleaner was it. i tried Hoppes, Froglube, Barnes, Montana...you name, i probably bought it.

now for gun oil it is either non-aerosol Ballistol (short storage) or aerosol G96 Gun Treatment (long storage). i'll use G96 if i buy a rifle, either new or used.

i shoot cast bullets in my rifles and revolvers. fit is King. i usually go .002 or .003" above the bore size. my 30-40 Krag and 444 Marlin are about 4500-5000 rounds out of them. the bore is still bright and shiny as the day i cleaned them. i will use Ballistol on the rifles, but never inside the bore. well, i clean the bore about after 1000 rounds. and by clean, i'll take a Ballistol patch that goes thru the bore about 4 or 5 times.

i also use Ballistol on my muzzleloaders.

"Russia sucks."
---- Me, US Army (retired) 12B & 51B

Russian Admiral said, after the Moskva sank, "we have the world's worst navy but we aren't as bad as our army".

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by SlickLizard
Interesting list. Barnes cr-10 did not work well for me. I like Montana Copper Killer followed by No. 9. Only been using N0. 9 for 65 years.

Only 65 years? hehehe

You are a stud, good on you!

KB

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Yes, but I wipe all but a very thin film out and shoot a fouling shot before anything serious like an animal. Rem oil or no 9.

Show class, have pride, and display character. If you do, winning will take care of itself.
Coach Bryant.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I use Ballistol exclusively on all my black powder guns. It is the best hands down for storage of a muzzleloader. I works better than anything I've used to keep down the surface rust, especially inside the barrels. It rinses out well with just hot water before you shoot. As soon as I get through shooting, I swab the barrels until I can clean them properly and then store them with a coat on and in the barrel.. I've had no problems in damp weather since using it. The only downside to me is the strong smell. I always wash it off before hunting deer, etc.

Last edited by reivertom; 12/21/23.
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
No. 9 good for powder build up but does nothing for copper fouling.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Charles E. Petty, who gives me the impression he’s a curmudgeon of rare abilities, once wrote that when someone tells him so and so is the best lubricant, he just says, “And HOW do you know THAT?”. He also said he uses whatever he has, usually something he’s been given.

What fresh Hell is this?
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I know one pro gunsmith who uses nothing but no 9. It takes it longer to get copper out than ammonia base solvents.

Coach Bryant.
R
R
I use Ballistol as my PD cartridge sizing lube with no need to clean the cases of any residue after sizing and the Ballistol has thoroughly dried. I was skeptical after reading about this usage in an AS article but am now an ardent follower.

Rick M.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
now use old-fashioned ballistol mixed with water to clean black powder and then wipe down with pure ballistol. I also have a ballistol aerosol that I use or just wiping the black powder collection down once in a while . I have ever have not used it on conventional firearms I have other stuff that I use and not saying it's better it's just a habit..

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

58 members (BlackHunter, blackhawk44, aaronward9, 10gaugemag, big_g270, 9 invisible), 1,522 guests, and 814 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,557
Posts18,510,434
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.