Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I thought it was a good read myself.

His worst mistake in my book is leaving out the 270 Winchester.

Nobody’s perfect whistle

Semper Fi
GB1

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
I thought it was an excellent article.

Who was the target of his inspirations? He makes the older crowd smile. The younger crowd might be irked (and a few older ones too). It gets people talking.

Errors? No worries. The most glaring one, in my view, was crediting the 30-40 with anything. All it was, after all, was a copy of the 303 British, but with a 308 barrel.

[Linked Image from c.tenor.com]

If it ruffled a few feathers, so be it. It livened up a mundane Saturday for some. Well done! laugh

And a tip of the hat goes to Pappy for livening up the newly wed and nearly dead!

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Great article and good read for us old farts caught in the past. I shoot a 6.5 Swede in a sportorized 96 Infantry rifle for pronghorn. A 38-55 Winchester 94 /w octagon barrel for close in deer. MY favorite 30-06 load is the old 220 gr rn. I shoot a 1911 Fox Sterlingworth SxS,12 gauge.

I nod to the new technology though as I have an AR and an Inline ML

Last edited by saddlesore; 11/25/23.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A lot of younger hunters discount the effectiveness of older rifles and cartridges in the hands of older hunters.

Cutting edge technology is nice to have, but probably significantly useful in a relatively small percentage of the whole.

Or so it seems to me at age 68.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
"Luddite" just doesn't come off when your writing for an online magazine. But, I get it and feel the same way sometimes. However, I couldn't help thinking the guy just needs to get laid. And, in the bio, "Some think the best Southern writer alive"? Did he write that? Sheesh. God, save me from being an angry old man (kind of headed in that direction).

"One should not talk to a skilled hunter about what is forbidden by the Buddha."

- Hsiang-yen by way of Gary Snyder
IC B2

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Add 1970s VX-ii to the errata.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
I'm not a "Luddite" or I wouldn't be typing this, but just because something is supposed to be "new and improved", doesn't mean it is. I'm old enough to have seen many fads come and go. Most of them were touted as the best thing since sliced bread, and many of them fizzle just as soon as the hype dies down. The shooting/hunting world isn't immune.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Technical errors I can overlook in an article that, after all, is not a technical article. I've long since quit trying to correct every distribution of conventional wisdom in the gun world that most here, at least, know is not true...just smile and nod my head.

The guy was just expressing what a number of us here believe: the constant current of latest, greatest technigorical advances in the shooting world improve the bottom line for gun and ammo companies and purveyors of same (not to mention gun writers) much more than they improve the success rate of typical shooters/hunters.

Mathew 22: 37-39

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
More truth than fiction, IMO. I like his snarky humor, semi pissed off syntax. A fun read at any gate. I'd have liked to have seen the original draft before the editor got a hold of it.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The guy was just expressing what a number of us here believe: the constant current of latest, greatest technigorical advances in the shooting world improve the bottom line for gun and ammo companies and purveyors of same (not to mention gun writers) much more than they improve the success rate of typical shooters/hunters. "

Well said! In fact that goes for most of what comes out in print.

CRS, NRA Benefactor Life Member, Whittington Center, TSRA, DWWC, DRSS
Android Reloading Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Roger Pinckney
nd optics? No finer scope around than the very affordable 1970s Leupold VX-II in 1-4x

Lost me right there. The man shouldn't even be published if he doesn't know there's a difference between a Vari-X II, a VX-II, and a VX-2. That kind of error destroys the man's credibility, if you ask me.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
A few comments:

I am also something of a Luddite, as I own and hunt with both rifles and shotguns made in the 1800s up to the supposed cutting edge of today. Among them is a custom Griffin & Howe 1903 Springfield, made by G&H the same year as Ernest Hemingway's--and which I paid more for than any other firearm in my collection. Have also taken plenty of game with rifles and sights/scopes that were deliberately used because they're considered "handicaps" by many 21st century hunters. Those have included several 99 Savages, in chamberings from .22 Hi-Power on up, including at least half a dozen .250s. The sights have ranged from old apertures to a Noske 7/8" tube scope with a post reticle which took a whitetail at over 250 yards.

As I've mentioned recently here (and elsewhere) I don't own a 6.5 Creedmoor anymore after owning several, and probably never will again. Instead my "Creedmoor equivalent" is a custom 6.5x55, built by me and Charlie Sisk, on an FN Mauser commercial action with a Lilja barrel Charlie installed--and a stock made out of "California English" walnut that I fitted, shaped, finished and checkered myself.

But after writing for quite a few magazines over the decades, including Gray's Sporting Journal (where I also served as editor for a couple years in the 1990s), National Geographic and most American gun and "outdoor" magazines, I know it is also possible to write/publish entertaining articles that are also factually accurate. When I read one that has as many factual errors as this one I start to distrust the writer, even though I might agree with some of his non-technical opinions.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
...When I read one that has as many factual errors as this one I start to distrust the writer, even though I might agree with some of his non-technical opinions.

Then you best chastise the editor as well. He should have turned it around with a note to the author to check his facts. It wasn't just Pinckney. laugh

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Steve, did you miss this at the end?

Roger Pinckney is a native of the SC Lowcountry, a veteran of twenty-five Northwoods winters and is author of twenty-two books of fiction and non-fiction. He’s been Senior Editor of Sporting Classics for twenty-eight years and has hunted the alphabet, Argentina to Zambia. Many consider him among the greatest living Southern Writers.

If you did see it and and were just poking fun, nevermind! I just woke up from my nap and my sarcasm detector is still a little fuzzy. At any rate, if ol’ Roger wanted to stir the pot, I think it worked.

Last edited by Pappy348; 11/25/23.

What fresh Hell is this?
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by mathman
Add 1970s VX-ii to the errata.

Or a $50 Weaver V-7

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Steve, did you miss this at the end?

Roger Pinckney is a native of the SC Lowcountry, a veteran of twenty-five Northwoods winters and is author of twenty-two books of fiction and non-fiction. He’s been Senior Editor of Sporting Classics for twenty-eight years and has hunted the alphabet, Argentina to Zambia. Many consider him among the greatest living Southern Writers.

If you did see it and and were just poking fun, nevermind! I just woke up from my nap and my sarcasm detector is still a little fuzzy. At any rate, if ol’ Roger wanted to stir the pot, I think it worked.

No. In most organizations, there is more than one person who checks articles - proofreaders for grammar, as well as content editors. Sometimes, "editors" are names given to the writing staff and they aren't really editors. Being a "senior editor" doesn't necessarily mean that he's at the top of the food chain. There are editors in chief and managing editors that are higher up than "senior editors". It's a term that is often company specific.

The more appropriate question would be - who checked his work or did his story just get approved without any checks? laugh

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Pappy348
At any rate, if ol’ Roger wanted to stir the pot, I think it worked.

He did, Pappy348! And, thanks for sharing it. Good conversation starter even if he's not a great writer, didn't do his homework, etc. He certainly voiced something alot of folks feel.

And, as much as I can be nostalgic and love at least reading about our history, that doesn't mean cutting edge stuff is all nonsense. Most of the stuff we are nostalgic about was the best, modern stuff available at the time. When the first mountain man showed up with the cutting edge invention of the day - the cap lock - and showed it to his mountain man buddy, his buddy turned his flat brim backwards grabbed his private parts and said, "Ohhhh shhhhhi.....!"

"One should not talk to a skilled hunter about what is forbidden by the Buddha."

- Hsiang-yen by way of Gary Snyder
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by Steve Redgwell
[quote=Pappy348]Steve, did you miss this at the end?

No. In most organizations, there is more than one person who checks articles - proofreaders for grammar, as well as content editors. and sometimes "editors" are names given to the writing staff. Being a "senior editor" doesn't necessarily mean that he's at the top of the food chain. There are editors in chief and managing editors that are higher up than "senior editors". It's a term that is often company specific.

The more appropriate question would be - who checked his work or did his story just get approved without any checks?

Unfortunately Steve, it might be more accurate if you'd said, "There are still, in a very few organiations, someone who occassionally checks ...

Mathew 22: 37-39

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
Perhaps. Perhaps not. smile

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by Steve Redgwell
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
...When I read one that has as many factual errors as this one I start to distrust the writer, even though I might agree with some of his non-technical opinions.

Then you best chastise the editor as well. He should have turned it around with a note to the author to check his facts. It wasn't just Pinckney. laugh

Yes, exactly. There have been a few editors I've written for over the years who've been as sloppy, some of whom even edited errors (whether factual or grammatical or spelling) into my work.

I have also have an old history with Sporting Classics. Was asked to write for them back in the 1980s, and did a couple of times. In fact wrote one SC article that was reprinted in a hardcover collection of "best" stories about some subject, because the book's editor thought it was pretty good.

But the money for my first SC article hadn't turned up six months after it was published--which happened to be when Eileen and I did a two-month tour around the U.S. in our pickup & camper, with a canoe on top of the camper. We didn't have much money, but back then had the time to do that--and I wanted to see (and fish in) more of the country east of the Mississippi. (Was also writing about fishing as much as hunting back then.)

Among our stops were several visits to the headquarters of magazines I was writing for, and one was in Columbia, South Carolina, where I met with Sporting Classics' editor John Culler.--who was also at least one owner of the magazine. He turned out to be a slick-talking BS artist, which is why I never wrote for SC again. (Though did eventually get paid....)

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

559 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 007FJ, 1Akshooter, 10ring1, 65 invisible), 2,502 guests, and 1,345 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,049
Posts18,500,964
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.