Hop To
Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
R
roanmtn Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Phil Shoemaker wrote back to me. I was told he had stopped brown bear charges with a 30-06. His favorite load for brown bears is a 200gr Nosler Partition. Yep! That should penetrate with a sectional density of 301.

Glenn Campbell
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'd be surprised if JOC hadn't killed a griz with one of his 270s.

R
roanmtn Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
If I remember correctly, the bears were killed incidentally to hunting a moose and a sheep. One of the bears came rolling down a steep hill and came close to rolling over him when he shot it with his .270. I can't remember what weight bullet he used. Probably a 130gr as he really preferred the 130gr.

Glenn Campbell
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
I'd be surprised if JOC hadn't killed a griz with one of his 270s.
He had

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by roanmtn
Phil Shoemaker wrote back to me. I was told he had stopped brown bear charges with a 30-06. His favorite load for brown bears is a 200gr Nosler Partition. Yep! That should penetrate with a sectional density of 301.
His opinion hasn’t wavered in years. I corresponded with him when I first got on this forum about what he recommended for bear. He pretty much told me to run a 200 grain partition in an 06 with as much RL22 I could fit in the case. I no longer have an 06 but that advice still stands today in my load notes as a dandy bear load. No browns or grizz but some solid black bears

Keep your powder dry and stay frosty my friends.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Great thread. I've enjoyed reading this.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Question for all you Grizz guys. How big are interior bears. Big boar and big sow. I’ve read plenty about them and seen a couple visiting out west but never dealt with them up close. I’ve been around some big black bears,400-550 lbs. I’d have no problem taking a big black bear with a stout 270 load not sure how much more an interior Grizz would take to dispatch.

Keep your powder dry and stay frosty my friends.
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Here are a couple of interior Grizzlies I’ve caught on my trail cameras. Some are no joke.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
brinky,

The biggest grizzly the Montana Department of Fish, Wildlife & Parks has ever weighed whole, on certified scales with witnesses, weighed 1102 pounds.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
brinky,

The biggest grizzly the Montana Department of Fish, Wildlife & Parks has ever weighed whole, on certified scales with witnesses, weighed 1102 pounds.

Where was that bear trapped?

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What's the average?

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
brinky,

True. An early book titled "The Grizzly Bear" documents an bear brought into a butcher shop scales in Spokane WA weighing over 1100 if I re call correctly.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by pathfinder76
Here are a couple of interior Grizzlies I’ve caught on my trail cameras. Some are no joke.

Awesome pics. Man they’re cool animals!

Semper Fi
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by moosemike
Well, Bella Twin has been mentioned. How far can we be from a Karamojo Bell sighting in this thread?

I think we're closing in on a new corollary to Godwin's law: "As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches 1."

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My first “adult” center fire was a .270 Win - still my favorite (I am snobbishly excluding a 30-30).

Love reading these stories proclaiming the glory of the .270.

Last night I finished reading James Gary Shelton’s “Bear Attacks - The Deadly Truth”. One story, in particular, changed my perspective for hunting in bear country with any of my .270 / 7mm Rem Mag / .308 Win.

Chapter 4 - Carcass Defence Behavior documents a grizzly attack. Two British Columbia logging workers came within proximity of a male grizzly with an animal carcass. Not close enough to see the grizzly nor the carcass.

The men were working when they first saw the bear approaching them when at an approximate distance of 40 feet. The bear disappeared back into the brush. The men next saw the bear at 20 feet when it lunged at them.

At a distance of 7 feet, they fired two rounds of buckshot (shot size not specified) into the bear’s face. The bear stopped but did not go down. The third cartridge loaded in their gun was a slug (12-gauge - slug size, style, and brand not specified). This shot struck the bear just below one eye. The bear was knocked over backward, but not killed.

“The bear went wild; it was spinning around on its side, roaring and bellowing at the top of its lungs.”

The man without the gun dug around in their back pack and found more slugs (filtering through birdshot and buckshot) and the gunman reloaded with slugs. The fourth shot hit the bear in the chest, just behind the right front leg.

“The bear collapsed on its side and lay still for a moment, then jumped up and ran to their right, stumbling and bellowing as it went out of sight. They could see that the grizzly still had ample power, and it sounded like the bear was coming around behind them in the timber. Then, all of a sudden, it was very quiet.”

The men hiked their way back to their helicopter drop site where they radioed to be picked up. 40 minutes later, the helicopter arrived.

They flew back to the attack site and could see the bear lying in a pool of blood, trying to crawl up a steep slope.

They later returned with a Marlin 44 to insure the bear was dead. At a distance of 80 feet, they shot into the bear 6 times to insure it was dead.

Later, a Conservarion Officer investigated. He reported that the bear traveled 250 yards before dying.

——-

This grizzly took a 12-gauge slug in the face, took another slug in the chest, traveled 250 yards and was still alive more than 40 minutes later.

I don’t think I would use any of my 270 / 7mm / 308 in bear country.

Adventure is the only thing you buy that makes you richer
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by shaman
Originally Posted by moosemike
Well, Bella Twin has been mentioned. How far can we be from a Karamojo Bell sighting in this thread?

I think we're closing in on a new corollary to Godwin's law: "As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches 1."

Absolutely!

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
For those of you that like Alaska hunting stories look up Alaska` Wolfman by Jim Rearden. It covers the life of Frank Glaser from 1915 t0 1955.

He hunted with many guns and killed much game. I think it is a Good read.

R
roanmtn Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
When I was a little kid I was able to read a lot of Russell Annabelle. The stories of Alaska were very exciting and full of adventure with his old hunting partner. I came to wonder if he had mastered the art of slightly embellishing the facts(BS). I do like Alaskan adventure stories especially from Russel Annabelle from many, many, MANY moons ago.

Glenn Campbell
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by ipopum
For those of you that like Alaska hunting stories look up Alaska` Wolfman by Jim Rearden. It covers the life of Frank Glaser from 1915 t0 1955.

He hunted with many guns and killed much game. I think it is a Good read.

Yep, a great read--and well-researched and written, like all of Jim Rearden's writing.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by roanmtn
When I was a little kid I was able to read a lot of Russell Annabelle. The stories of Alaska were very exciting and full of adventure with his old hunting partner. I came to wonder if he had mastered the art of slightly embellishing the facts(BS). I do like Alaskan adventure stories especially from Russel Annabelle from many, many, MANY moons ago.

His name was Annabel, and yes he often embellished facts. He was kind of like the Alaskan version of Peter Hathaway Capstick. But both could tell a story well enough to sell a lot of stories....

John Steinbeck
Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

51 members (35, BallisticBRYAN, Akhutr, 338reddog, 8 invisible), 1,384 guests, and 835 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,208
Posts18,503,878
Members73,994
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.