Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks!

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
GB1

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by CBB
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

243, 85gr Sierra spitzers, 43gr 4350

Public land
Hell yeah

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Congratulations to the PA men!

RAS Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
We dropped off the two I posted at the processor today. They had some massive boomers there and tons of decent bucks. It’s been an excellent year for deer hunting in our part of PA. It’s much, much better than it was 20-30 years ago. The part of PA we hunt is almost all public. It’s excellent hunting. I don’t live in PA but will travel there every year to trout fish and deer hunt.

"...aspire to live quietly, and to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we instructed you, so that you may walk properly before outsiders and be dependent on no one." - Paul to the church in Thessalonica.

C
CBB Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by RAS
We dropped off the two I posted at the processor today. They had some massive boomers there and tons of decent bucks. It’s been an excellent year for deer hunting in our part of PA. It’s much, much better than it was 20-30 years ago. The part of PA we hunt is almost all public. It’s excellent hunting. I don’t live in PA but will travel there every year to trout fish and deer hunt.

Sssshhhhhh……. Let everyone keep thinking there are no deer and PA sucks!!! Haha

Hunt...
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Managed one of my shortest deer hunts yesterday evening - 3 minutes.

Had my dad drop me off on the logging road to a small field we plant with clover. It's about an acre or a bit bigger and is bordered by a 10 year old clearcut on one end. We have a double stand in the corner. It's the same stand Dad shot his buck from this year.

I eased up the logging road and saw deer in the field. I texted dad to hang back (he drives the 4 wheeler up the road to retrieve deer). It was 2:38 PM. I eased into the woods bordering the logging road and slowly moved closer to get a shot window. Deer starting moving out the far end of the field headed for somewhere else but not spooked, just ambling along.

I looked around for a rest because the shot was going to be quick and about 75-80 yards. I dropped to kneeling and found a finger size sapling to use as a rest. It wasn't the most steady but was sufficient for what I needed to do. The biggest doe started walking across the logging road and I bleated to her with my mouth. She didn't stop waking so I whistled. She stopped and I put the crosshair tight to her shoulder and squeezed. She hit the ground so quick I lost sight of her in the recoil. The rest of the deer took off. I retrieved my brass and walked into the field where she lay. It was 2:41 PM grin

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Nice stuff Bill.

I’m glad I’m not the only one who catches brass before worrying about the important stuff! grin

Semper Fi
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Good job, Bill.
I haven't found the right doe to drop the hammer on yet.

F
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
F
2 bucks down in our camp so far. Couple more days before we gotta head back to Florida.
Hoping for the weather to calm down and the deer to start moving

Hook and Book, Shoot and Scoot
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Flhoundhunter28
2 bucks down in our camp so far. Couple more days before we gotta head back to Florida.

Are you getting snow where you are?
We got hit pretty good last night. About 14".

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bwinters
Managed one of my shortest deer hunts yesterday evening - 3 minutes.

Had my dad drop me off on the logging road to a small field we plant with clover. It's about an acre or a bit bigger and is bordered by a 10 year old clearcut on one end. We have a double stand in the corner. It's the same stand Dad shot his buck from this year.

I eased up the logging road and saw deer in the field. I texted dad to hang back (he drives the 4 wheeler up the road to retrieve deer). It was 2:38 PM. I eased into the woods bordering the logging road and slowly moved closer to get a shot window. Deer starting moving out the far end of the field headed for somewhere else but not spooked, just ambling along.

I looked around for a rest because the shot was going to be quick and about 75-80 yards. I dropped to kneeling and found a finger size sapling to use as a rest. It wasn't the most steady but was sufficient for what I needed to do. The biggest doe started walking across the logging road and I bleated to her with my mouth. She didn't stop waking so I whistled. She stopped and I put the crosshair tight to her shoulder and squeezed. She hit the ground so quick I lost sight of her in the recoil. The rest of the deer took off. I retrieved my brass and walked into the field where she lay. It was 2:41 PM grin

That’s how to do it!

Years ago I was hunting on a friend’s farm at Gettysburg. He had a stand in the woods on the back side, the same woods BTW where they began Pickett’s Charge in the movie. I was climbing up and spotted a buck crossing below in the brushy field. Finished climbing, unslung the .270, and cracked him. Climbed down. Done.

What fresh Hell is this?
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Great buck CBB!! Congrats!!

Bwinters, I've proved to myself many times it only takes 5-15 minutes to kill a deer, but I've also proved that it sometimes takes days or even weeks, such as this yr is going so far. Ha! Only a 1 horn fork buck so far and a doe at 100 yds going 100 mph. Wasn't seeing deer around in the fields this yr and it is proving out in the woods. Don't know what's going on, but I'll keep at it.

One is alone in a land so vast, there is only the mountains, the wind, and the eyes of God.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by CBB

243, 85gr Sierra spitzers, 43gr 4350

Public land

That's a hellova buck!

Camp is where you make it.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Going to head out tomorrow morning to try to fill my 4C antlerless tag.

F
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
F
Yes it has been snowing and blowing for about 36 hrs now in Conneaut lake. Deer aren't moving real well. Hopefully they get back to moving tomorrow when the weather mellows out

F
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
F
Great bucks by all. Congrats to everyone

B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Teeder

What County? I'm heading down to Potter in a few hours. I'm wondering if I can get up the hollow.

They say everything happens for a reason.
For me that reason is usually because I've made some bad decisions that I need to pay for.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yes it has been snowing and blowing for about 36 hrs now in Conneaut lake. Deer aren't moving real well. Hopefully they get back to moving tomorrow when the weather mellows out

You're about 20 minutes south of me. Just went through there on Saturday.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bbassi
Originally Posted by Teeder

What County? I'm heading down to Potter in a few hours. I'm wondering if I can get up the hollow.

Crawford Co.
Northwest corner of Pa.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Punched my 4C antlerless tag 8:30 this morning. Have a 3D tag to fill then I'am done.
[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

Stew cubes!

Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

654 members (16gage, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 67 invisible), 2,782 guests, and 1,320 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,304
Posts18,526,023
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.