Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by granitestate1
It is not one of those that has a catalytic converter is it? The feds can screwup things without even trying.
LMAO... Got THAT right...

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
GB1

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I don't like the cat, never have had one. Simpler is better than complicated.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Pulled two mummified wood ducks from my mother-in-law's stove pipe...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by bluefish
Guys, can anyone offer some ideas? Our woodstove was not burning as well last spring since it needed a good cleaning after the season. Now, nothing will stay burning in it at all. I do the usual routine of some paper and dry pine kindling to get it hot and everything burns out and this is with the flue in even a wide open position. Can anyone offer thoughts and ideas please?

Thanks!
Did your stack get cleaned? If there is little/no draw after that perhaps something happened at that time.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Pretty basic, it's either drawing air or it ain't ...... is there anyway possible that it isn't "that cold" outside? If the air temp outside is close or warmer than inside it may not pull very well.

Could also be on the inlet side....something plugged up.... this should be evident if it burns good with the door cracked.

Another pro tip, I quit fuggin with paper and tiny kindling years ago.... I use a plumbers MAP torch.... can point it up the pipe for a few seconds to warm up the chimney, usually only need 2-3 MAP bottles per winter....pretty cheap.

IC B2

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Yup, chimney sweeps sound old fashion, but you should clean it out every 3-5yrs. An air tight house won't draft the stove.

Speaking of dirty chimneys, I've seen 5ft flames out the top of the chimney (at night) when the creosote starts a chimney fire...it can get hot enough to burn through the seams between the fire brick and start the attic on fire.

U.S. government was established to represent citizens, NOT TO RULE OVER THEM.
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Something is impeding the air flow. Could be a nest, dead animal, probably not soot if it was cleaned last spring.

We burn about 5 cords per year. I sweep my own chimney. Do it usually two or three times per year. I know it's time to sweep it when I open the stove door and a little smoke flows out.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
If the chimney sweeper didn't pull the baffles out of the stove before sweeping, you might have a pile of soot on top of the baffles, blocking airflow into the flue. (assuming you have a baffled stove).

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Tru story πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚ we just had built our house and it was a few months before we hooked up our stove.Somebody had a genius idea to stuff a wal mart bag over the flu pipe.It won’t there when we hooked it up to try it LOL

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by Mr_TooDogs
Is the room/house sealed so tight that there is no/little incoming air to allow draft airflow?
Good thing to check! A fresh air intake is a good upgrade to a fireplace or wood burning stove.

IC B3

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
You got one of these ?
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
If the chimney sweeper didn't pull the baffles out of the stove before sweeping, you might have a pile of soot on top of the baffles, blocking airflow into the flue. (assuming you have a baffled stove).

+1.
Assuming you have a modern high efficiency stove with a baffle and secondary burn air pipes just under the top surface.

If the pipe has no clean out Tee, in order to clean the chimney, you must disconnect the pipe right above the stove and put a catch bag on to capture the soot. If not, the soot will accumulate on top the baffle and partially block the air flow from the stove into the stove pipe and chimney.

Old school non baffled stoves would let the chimney sweep soot drop straight into the stove.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Bought one of those welded Chinese models with the glass (?) door.
Swept the stove pipe every year and it just got worse and worse....until it would only burn the starter blocks and smoke up the house! It was horrible! 😑
Decided to replace the pipe between the stove and the ceiling.
That's when we found a baffle just below where the stove pipe attaches!
Dude had FOUR YEARS of soot, ash and creosote build up that was blocking the exit from the fire box! 🀯
Shop vac'd that crap out, reassembled the stove and it worked like a champ!!!

Each fall, we sweep the pipe from the cap to the damper above the stove.
THE NEXT DAY, after all that crap has had a chance to settle down, we pull the pipe between the stove and the ceiling and vacuum all the crap off of that baffle!
We've never had another problem! πŸ˜‰πŸ‘

Check to see if there is a baffle in the stove between the fire box and the smoke exit.
On our stove, the ONLY way to get to the baffle to clran it is through the stove pipe connection.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
BTW!
Last year was our year to change the Triple Wall pipe up through the attic. Over $360??? 🀯
Single wall pipe between the stove and the ceiling was beginning to look bad.
A local HVAC supply house asked me if I'd like the "telescoping" pipe!
Huh?

Attaches to your stove and an outer pipe slides up and screws to the ceiling flange!
Makes changing out the stove pipe a breeze! ....and doesn't cost but pennies more than that old "cut-to-fit" and assemble pipe!

The easiest way is to screw the outer pipe to the ceiling flange, then pull the inner pipe down and slip it over the stove flange.

Last edited by MartinStrummer; 11/28/23.
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
Is your wood dry enough? Do you use a moisture meter?

This.

I am MAGA.
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
A chimney running up the outside wall unininsulated can get so cold that a draft is hard to establish.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
Is your wood dry enough? Do you use a moisture meter?

Unless it's rain soaked or been submerged in a lake, even the greenest of woods will burn.
You just gotta have a hot enough starter. πŸ˜‰

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Our stove is a Lopi 1750. It's pretty easy to maneuver the baffle bricks (four of them) out of the way, before sweeping the pipe. Then all the soot ends up in the firebox where it's easy to shovel out.

B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by earlybrd
You got one of these ?
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

No, it’s a lever on bottom left of the stove which is moved horizontally, left to right. Left is wide open and right is mostly closed. Just started another fire in it and it got going and died out. I believe as well it has to do with airflow. I’ll figure out the make/model and post it up.

The way life should be.
E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
You need more air flow gotta have hit chunkin like a train then back it off

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

607 members (1minute, 1234, 117LBS, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 60 invisible), 2,506 guests, and 1,277 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,872
Posts18,518,060
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.