Print Thread
Hop To
M
Mwbyler Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Good luck to all you Ohio gun hunters tomorrow. I am in KY this year ready to head out for the last day of rifle season. Having moved to KY this passed summer I will be missing the gun opener, started the first opening day in 83 for me, still remember that day vividly. Feels strange not prepping for a trip to the strip mines in southern part of the state. Watching the extended weather forecast every day hoping for snow.All the years I spent taking each one of my boys with me for their first opener, calling my brother to nail down last minute plans on opening morning. Putting in for vacation for the week at work. Maybe next year I can make it back and hunt those rugged strip mines. Good luck to all of you that make it out.

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
GB1

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Ashtabula county Ohio… I gun hunted some public land there years ago. I was in my early 20s, had an older guy that was my buddy and had tied up that way. Jim Subota had a trucking company out of Cleveland, and had a lake out out where we stayed. I heard what seemed like thousands of shots that Monday. Guys was walking through the woods hollering, had guys standing around campfires in the woods, just waiting on a deer to come by. I told the good lord of he’d get me out of that situation Zane back home to Alabama, I’d do the next one myself. 🤣

All jokes aside we did have a good time, but won’t ever go back I don’t think. It’s way different up there on public land.

M
Mwbyler Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by Chapoosa
Ashtabula county Ohio… I gun hunted some public land there years ago. I was in my early 20s, had an older guy that was my buddy and had tied up that way. Jim Subota had a trucking company out of Cleveland, and had a lake out out where we stayed. I heard what seemed like thousands of shots that Monday. Guys was walking through the woods hollering, had guys standing around campfires in the woods, just waiting on a deer to come by. I told the good lord of he’d get me out of that situation Zane back home to Alabama, I’d do the next one myself. 🤣

All jokes aside we did have a good time, but won’t ever go back I don’t think. It’s way different up there on public land.
Ashtabula co was my stomping grounds for many years, it's become one of the top countys in Ohio for deer, not a whole lot of public land in the co, a big tract called Dorset wildlife area, might have been it and right after it opened when you hunted, throw some Amish into a public area and it's gets crazy and can be dangerous, Ashtabula holds some trophy bucks. I always hunted my own property and had permission for some other private tracts.

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I got lost up there. First time in my life I had ever got lost in the woods. Like I said I was in my early 20s and never had any need for a compass in Alabama. I knew where I was by the land terrain, and where the sun came up and set. Well up there the land looked a lot alike. I parked at the parking lot and set out hunting, it turned heavy clouded and set in to snowing. It never crossed my mind that I couldn’t find my way back to the truck, with fresh blanket of snow and the sun behind the dark sky. So needless to say, I got lost. I was going to where I thought I needed to be, I walked up on an Amish guy and his teenage looking son. I apologized to him for messing up his hunt up front and asked him which way was the parking lot. He never said a word to me, just pointed in a direction and gave me a go to hell look. I said thanks and headed that way, luckily I found my way back out. Next day I just came home. 😁😁

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I shot a yearling doe Tuesday evening (my last day to hunt) in Southeast Ohio. Athens County. It was cold and windy. I didn’t hear nearly as many shots as I used to. I think there are a lot more people bow and crossbow hunting now, and less people wanting to be out in the cold during gun season.

Ron

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
Orwell
IC B2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

628 members (117LBS, 1lessdog, 1234, 10ring1, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 61 invisible), 14,337 guests, and 1,203 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,290
Posts18,545,223
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.