Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 37 1 2 3 4 5 36 37
Ringman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MarineHawk
We can see objects more than 10 billion light years away. Aside from the age of the earth, that means the universe is more-than 10 billion years old because that is how long it took for the light to get here.

You education is dated. Speed of light is measured from one point to a reflector and back. Many scientists are arguing the speed from the sender is infinite, thus throwing off any accurate measurement. Light years are NOT time. They are a distance. If the light speed from the sender, the star, is infinite, the light from a star would be observed instantly. In one of the papers I read some scientists discovered the speed of light, after going through a windshield, was 450 mph.

There's just a lot we don't know and like Mark Twain said, "It amazing what a wholesale lot of conjecture scientists can come up with from such a trifling investment of facts."

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Scientifically, the universe appears to be about 14 billion years old. For the universe to be younger or older than that the laws of physics would have to have been different in the past than they are nowadays. Maybe that’s possible, but we don’t have any way of knowing if the laws of physics have changed.

The scientific principle of uniformity says that we assume that things happened in the past just like they happen today ~ that the laws of physics haven’t changed. But it’s still an assumption, we can’t prove it. But again, if the laws of physics haven’t changed, then the universe appears to be about 14 billion years old.

Regardless, it’s not a central issue to the faith of Christianity. When you get to Heaven, God’s not gonna say, “Did you think the universe was young or old…’cause if you thought it was old…you’re outta here”…!

The real issue is did Jesus rise from the dead for your sins, and if you put your trust and confidence in Him for that, then you’re saved, and all of this age of the earth stuff (as interesting as it is) is indeterminate (not determined by the Bible) and again, not central to following Jesus.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
Ringman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
javascript:quickReply(18971904)
Originally Posted by Ringman
Roughly 4.5B years. Even tree ring data goes back 14,000 years.

Sorry for you to display your ignorance. The oldest tree ever dated, a bristle cone pine, was about 5,000 years old. Those who can't accept dendrochronology try to overlap trees. It doesn't work.

It is completely valid. If you don't understand how it works, that okay with me.

I do understand. It is a proven fact of biology, trees can and do produce more than one ring per year. It doesn't take many of those years to throw off your measurements. Hope is a wonderful thing.

Everyday Hunter
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Some of you folks spent a lot of time trying to validate a book of fiction.

Ringman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by antlers
Scientifically, the universe appears to be about 14 billion years old. For the universe to be younger or older than that the laws of physics would have to have been different in the past than they are nowadays. Maybe that’s possible, but we don’t have any way of knowing if the laws of physics have changed.

The scientific principle of uniformity says that we assume that things happened in the past just like they happen today ~ that the laws of physics haven’t changed. But it’s still an assumption, we can’t prove it. But again, if the laws of physics haven’t changed, then the universe appears to be about 14 billion years old.

Regardless, it’s not a central issue to the faith of Christianity. When you get to Heaven, God’s not gonna say, “Did you think the universe was young or old…’cause if you thought it was old…you’re outta here”…!

The real issue is did Jesus rise from the dead for your sins, and if you put your trust and confidence in Him for that, then you’re saved, and all of this age of the earth stuff (as interesting as it is) is indeterminate and again, not central to following Jesus.

There is a problem with uniformitarianism. It assumes there was no creation and there was no world wide flood. There is nothing being created at this time and there is not a world wide flood at this time. Watch the video.

I certainly agree with you about the central theme of God's Word. But if you watched the video you would realize for some it is what brings them to Jesus. It is what brought me. Therefore I use it in my Christian apologetics.

Everyday Hunter
IC B2

Ringman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Marley7x57

You would do well to do a little research. I remember three archeologists: Nelson Gulik, Clifford Wilson, and William Albright being on the same dig in the Middle East (I am old.). Gulik was an atheist, Wilson a born-again Christian, and Albright was antagonistic toward the Bible but not an atheist. One thing they all agreed on was the ancient Jews were careful historian. Perhaps you didn't know that.

Everyday Hunter
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Well I just wish somebody had put up a warehouse full of single malt scotch whisky in the oak barrels a few hundred years ago...

"To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." -- Thomas Jefferson

We are all Rhodesians now.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Let's ask the alien UFOs that have been buzzing around forever.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by ironbender
Not this shït again.

Fuggin one trick pony you are.

No schitt....the earth is NOT 6000 years old like your bible says it is.....hate to break the news to you Wrongman.....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

+P+ Fo'sho !

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Bible is BS, theologians are wrong, scientists are right. The smart ones moved past this centuries ago. Even when the scientists are wrong...the Bible is still complete BS.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
People tend to believe whatever supports their belief system. Theres still people out there that think Ron Wyatt found the ark of the covenant with blood only showing the DNA from a mother in it. Of course he left it because angels said he had to.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Ringman and Crappy Hamster covered this already. Aluminum cookware memory loss??

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M

You would do well to do a little research. I remember three archeologists: Nelson Gulik, Clifford Wilson, and William Albright being on the same dig in the Middle East (I am old.). Gulik was an atheist, Wilson a born-again Christian, and Albright was antagonistic toward the Bible but not an atheist. One thing they all agreed on was the ancient Jews were careful historian. Perhaps you didn't know that.

Worthless information from easily manipulated individuals. Certain that more Christians go atheist than the other way around. Most born agains are born brain dead anyway.

PS: take a science class or 3.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A

Worthless information from easily manipulated individuals. Certain that more Christians go atheist than the other way around. Most born agains are born brain dead anyway.

You're debating a guy who never finished high school.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Ringman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ingwe
Originally Posted by ironbender
Not this shït again.

Fuggin one trick pony you are.

No schitt....the earth is NOT 6000 years old like your bible says it is.....hate to break the news to you Wrongman.....

Upon what do you base your assertion on?

Everyday Hunter
Ringman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

If what you posted is true, you should have no trouble naming five Ph.D creationist scientists who became evolutionists. I can give you a dozen Ph.D evolutionist scientists who became creationist.

Everyday Hunter
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Ringman: The age of the earth" is 4,540,000,000 (four billion five hundred and forty million years!) old!
Thats a LONG time!
I am 76 (seventy six) years old and am glad/thankful I have been in existence that long.
I do, though, plan on outliving the earth - if at all possible.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Longbob
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Ingwe knows.

Hell, he was there!

That was mean. True, but mean.

Ingwe loves being called old.

Just don't bring up the leopard thong.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Upon what do you base your assertion on?

This question is disallowed due to multiple grammatical infractions.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Page 3 of 37 1 2 3 4 5 36 37

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

119 members (6MMWASP, 673, 10gaugemag, 2ndwind, 1minute, 29aholic, 12 invisible), 1,852 guests, and 913 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,758
Posts18,514,941
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.