Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Steve Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Hell one was spotted a couple of times along the Sandy River near the Columbia in Oregon just a while back.

North American wolverine receives f...species under the Endangered Species Act

North American wolverine receives federal protection as a threatened species under the Endangered Species Act

The Service seeks public comment on an interim 4(d) rule promoting measures tailored to the wolverine’s conservation needs.

PORTLAND, Ore., — The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service is announcing its final rule to list the distinct population segment of the North American wolverine in the contiguous U.S. as a threatened species under the Endangered Species Act. The Service is also issuing an interim rule under ESA section 4(d) tailored to the wolverine’s conservation needs that exempts take related to research activities, take incidental to lawful trapping for other species, and take resulting from forest management activities associated with wildfire risk reduction in the contiguous U.S.

“Current and increasing impacts of and associated habitat degradation and fragmentation are imperiling the North American wolverine,” said Pacific Regional Director Hugh Morrison. “Based on the best available science, this listing determination will help to stem the long-term impact and enhance the viability of wolverines in the contiguous United States.”

In September 2023, the Service updated its 2018 species status assessment for the North American wolverine with an addendum that reflects new information since 2018. The addendum evaluated updated information on climate change, habitat connectivity, trapping, snow, population density, and impacts on genetic diversity, as well as considered changes in regulatory mechanisms and conservation measures. The North American wolverine is a medium-sized carnivore found within the Northern Rocky Mountains and North Cascade Mountains in the contiguous U.S. and alpine regions, boreal forests, and tundra of Alaska and Canada. Wolverines are snow-adapted, cold-climate, territorial animals with large home ranges.

In 2013, the Service proposed to list the North American wolverine in the contiguous U.S. as threatened under the ESA. In 2020, after reevaluating the wolverine’s status, the Service determined listing the wolverine was not warranted. In 2022, the District Court of Montana vacated that decision, requiring the wolverine to be reconsidered for listing under the ESA. The proposed and final rules and the comments received on the proposed rule are available at http://www.regulations.gov in Docket No. FWS-R6-ES-2012-0107.

The Service requests comments or information from other concerned federal and state agencies, Tribes, the scientific community, or any interested party concerning the interim 4(d) rule. A 60-day comment period begins Nov. 30, 2023 and comments must be received by Jan. 29, 2024. The proposal and information on how to submit comments can be found at http://www.regulations.gov/ by searching under docket number FWS–R6–ES–2012–0107.

Carpe' Scrotum
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I saw one in the UP a few years ago. He was crawling up a river bank as our boat passed by

First and only time I've seen one

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
They are being seen all over the place----recently in California, a place in Utah where never seen before, nine of 'em seen together on a Montana snow field a year or two ago and as you pointed out, one recently seen in Oregon.

Tarquin
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
wolverine a real tough savage fighter and smart

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image from baitem907.com]

still trapping in Canada, Alaska, ect

The climate change BS angle is going on the lower 48

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Years ago when I lived in NW Montana, a local family trapped 27 wolverines one winter in the upper Whitefish Mountain Range. There was no limit on the number of animals that they could trap, and Montana F&G (or anyone else) didn't have any idea how many wolverines lived there.

I also attended a MT FWP presentation on wolverines, and the biologist said that they had gps tracked wolverines that had traveled over 100 miles from where they were collered.

I've only seen 2 wolverines in the wild, one in an Unlimited Bighorn sheep unit in SW Montana, and the other while hunting Dall sheep in Canada's MacKenzie Mountains. Luckily I had a tag for the one that I saw in the Mackenzies.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

SAVE 200 ELK, KILL A WOLF

NRA Endowment Life Member

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image from i.imgflip.com]

I’d say they are endangered in this day and age.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
well years ago on the Rum River between Cambridge and Princeton in Minnesota someone caught a Wolverine in a trap that was tagged found out it belong to a TV host filming wild animal adventures and after that he no longer was on TV. it was all hush hush after that too.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by KFWA
I saw one in the UP a few years ago. He was crawling up a river bank as our boat passed by

First and only time I've seen one

Michigan had one in the Lower in the Thumb area several year back.....guys running coyotes treed it was living in a State game Area.....at the time they were not listed protected got listed real quick.....it stayed in the Game Area for several year then died of natural causes it was found and a mount was done it is owned by the DNR.....

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I heard the largest population of Wolverines was located in Glacier National Park. There is/was a study going on starting last spring. Haven't looked to see if any definitive numbers have been posted yet or not.

https://www.glacier.org/newsblog/wolverine-research-underway-in-glacier/

Life is but the memories we've created.....Sully Erna
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Maps of their range vary quite a bit. Some show that they can be found here in so. Idaho but I've never talked to anyone who's seen one. They're supposed to be more common in the north half of Idaho.
For all we know, they might be at the peak of their population or they might be at the bottom. The feds don't know and are calling them endangered without any knowledge of whether they are or not. They say that climate change has limited their range. How do they know that? It's just political crap.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Steve Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Whether or not the wolverine should be listed (it shouldn't) how come the ESA doesn't have a requirement as to what population levels have to be achieved that would require de-listing.

I know, dumb question. But some congress person should write or amend a bill to require this as part of the listing. Also all currently listed species should have the de-listing population levels add within a year or it gets de-listed.

Carpe' Scrotum
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Not only the ESA. The Wild Horse and Marine Mammal laws should be amended to have delisting levels. Both have increased populations way too high and need to sun setted.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
MAC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Saw one in CO 30 or so years ago on Quanella Pass crossing a snow slide. Only one I have ever seen

You get out of life what you are willing to accept. If you ain't happy, do something about it!
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
A rancher killed one that was harassing his cows in ND 3-4yrs back.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've seen quite a few from the air in Alaska.

Proud NRA Life Member
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by K1500
[Linked Image from i.imgflip.com]

I’d say they are endangered in this day and age.

I see them here in Wyoming from time to time. Not endanged around here.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I think I have trapped 10 or so of them now, in Alaska. Have a rug within 10 feet of me now, in my office. Never have seen one that wasn’t in a trap, despite quite a bit of time flying in bush planes in good habitat for them.

I tried trapping them in Montana back when you could do so, to no avail. They’re a neat critter and will jack up a foothold trap like nothing else.

As far as them being listed as threatened in the lower 48….well they were ‘protected’ anyhow as no state other than Alaska has allowed their hunting or trapping for the last several years. Any project or permit however that is proposed in designated habitat that is processed by land management agencies is now going to have yet another hurdle to deal with…more consultations and more paperwork….more delays.

How fun.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Only ever seen one.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm sure it makes little to zero difference to most posters here but the recent classification of the Wolverine is 'threatened' not 'endangered'.

There is a difference..

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

544 members (1badf350, 219DW, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 1minute, 10Glocks, 70 invisible), 2,405 guests, and 1,206 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,687
Posts18,513,529
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.