Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 19 1 2 3 4 5 18 19
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Love canning some venison, we do about 10-15 quarts each year. Wife and I have been on a weight loss journey since March and have nearly eliminated processed foods from out doet, along with very few carbs. Hoping to create some new soups without potatoes/starches. Did a Moose/Green bean/mushroom soup/stew that came out awesome. Smoked a moose roast for a few hours, then let if cook in a crock pot till it fell apart. We've also been cooking the shanks in some broth low and slow for however ling it takes to fall apart, then shred everything up.

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, used up, worn out, bottle of Jim Beam in one hand and a .45 in the other, loudly proclaiming WOW-- What a Ride!"
GB1

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Im not going to lie.... when I first read the title I was kinda pissed/ offended. As much as I love big racks as the next guy, you cant eat the antlers. I am 90% a meat hunter and wild game, primarily venison, feeds my family of 6 for most of the year. In lean years or when I am deployed and we have to buy beef as our red meat protein both the wife and kiddos gripe. From field to table my meat never leaves my possession. I too have a vacuum sealer and an electric grinder. Your meat prep is top notch and rivals my own. Great job! Just looking at it all makes me hungry.

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same... President Ronald Reagan
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by New_2_99s
Originally Posted by JPro
My family usually eats about 4-5 deer a year, as several of those will be does that were 110-120lb on the hoof. Some will be made into smoked link sausage by a local processor. Most of it we will cut into roasts or other whole cuts, along with a lot of burger. We're big on ground meat recipes and rarely ever buy beef burger.

Same, as above, we have taken to vac packing whole muscles, as it gives more options.

Us too, on the burger.

I will buy some, when we have too, but not from a supermarket, only local producers, or the farmer's co-op.

The burger I see in local stores is expensive, and the last I bought had more gristly bits than what I got from my last processor, and of course my own, which I trim pretty carefully. I ground a bunch of the one I killed with my xbow and since my grinder is a smallish one, I triple-ground it, with excellent results. I like leaving big chunks as well, to be ground or not later.

Have two at a new (to me) processor now. Two is more than I can comfortably handle at a time, and I like having them hang in a cooler for a while before getting cut up.

BTW, that chunk of backstrap I posted was cooked on a Cuisinart GR-150P1 Deluxe Electric Griddler. I used the flat plates, preheated to sear at 450. Five minutes. Been looking for an easier, less messy way to cook steaks, and this works well. Cleans up in a minute or two, no flying grease.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Grew up eating more venison than beef or anything else. I have had no problem continuing that for as long as I can hunt and butcher. Back then it was roasts, steaks, burger, and canned.

Now it's all that plus jerky, snack sticks, summer sausage, italian sausage occasionally, breakfast sausage, cube steak, a raft of recipes, and a smoker.

Yeah, lots of love for venison.

I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children may live in peace. ~~ Thomas Paine
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I used to eat a lot of venison but I found out it was a gout trigger for me so I cut back.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Loading up the ice chest with a couple of does during the Mississippi primitive season a few weeks ago.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Since a lot of times I'm just cooking for myself, sausages are a favorite way of processing my venison because of the variety I can make & it's easy to cook small quantities.

Seared backstrap, potatoes baked with horseradish & lemon and sautéed mushrooms. Not a bad lunch. I eat venison all year until the freezer is empty. I always have fun refilling it.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Every once in a while a triggering of the gout tingling in the toes let's me know to be careful with the red meat intake. I know there's meds. and pills for such but at mid 60 I try to stay as much off meds. as I can so instead I drink the Red Cherry all natural juice on a limited basis as needed as the red meat still provides good protein. Once again moderation is the Key. IMO!

HS 58

I Learned a long time ago to Separate My Want's from My Needs!

A man's Gotta Do What a Man's Gotta Do!

Know Thy Self!

TRUMP DID WIN!!!
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Gout is from the pit of hell.

E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
What’s a good source for summer sausage casings I’m gonna try that

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Fresh back straps, loins. The rest anymore gets ground up for burger, and my favorite from that is different sausages one can make.
Ground venison can be made from any piece of meat from neck to rump and is purdy versatile. Drop it stews, soups, make burgers, jerky the list goes on.

happiness is elbow deep in elk guts.
NRA life member
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by earlybrd

Just bought 30 LEM 1.5 x 12 mahogany fibrous casings for summer sausage yesterday at Academy Sports. 9.99 per 10 pack. I dunno if that's a deal or not, can't recall what I paid past years, but I was loading up a shopping cart with lots of other meat making stuff so didn't care. Needed them anyway.

To add: if this is your first go at summer sausage you need to know; when you're done baking/smoking to correct internal temp you need to drop them in ice water to cool all the way through. Otherwise, that casing is gonna be a bitch to peel off when you slice it up.

I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children may live in peace. ~~ Thomas Paine
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I like venison with meticulous trimming and handling.

Rut venison sucks and it kills my motivation to kill mature bucks anywhere close to the rut anymore.

We eat 4-5 bucks a year. Roasts, streaks, and most importantly grind. I usually grind a whole buck or two and do 10-15% beef fat mix.

I figure we eat fish/game 5-6x a week. It might as well be good.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I don’t think my wife had no clue as to what beef tasted like until she went to school…….and then, very rarely at home. Their primary meat was game, deer, elk,moose, even after she was married!

After our marriage, we ate very little red meat that wasn’t game until about 10 years ago when we started slowing down ……old age sucks! memtb

Last edited by memtb; 12/02/23.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
Originally Posted by Feral_American
Originally Posted by earlybrd

Just bought 30 LEM 1.5 x 12 mahogany fibrous casings for summer sausage yesterday at Academy Sports. 9.99 per 10 pack. I dunno if that's a deal or not, can't recall what I paid past years, but I was loading up a shopping cart with lots of other meat making stuff so didn't care. Needed them anyway.

To add: if this is your first go at summer sausage you need to know; when you're done baking/smoking to correct internal temp you need to drop them in ice water to cool all the way through. Otherwise, that casing is gonna be a bitch to peel off when you slice it up.
Gotcha will do

MAC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I pretty much live on venison.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

You get out of life what you are willing to accept. If you ain't happy, do something about it!
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by New_2_99s
Show us what you've got & what you do with what you love !!

Heart;

Flat irons;

Looking good my man.....I need to take more pics like these and also learn more about butchery, different cuts and whatnot. I can't compete with what you got going there but here are a few...

Wyoming antelope. Keeping things as clean as realistically possible.

Small Montana whitetail buck. Wet aging in the fridge which isn't my first choice, but it works.

My favorite way to eat trout and about the only way I can really stomach smaller trout.....fish tacos over a campfire in the backcountry. I've been known to pop a grouse on the trail for the same reason.

I can't find pics, and it isn't glorious culinary but boiling pieces of moose or sheep tenderloin in a jetboil, then throwing it in with Mountain House at spike camp has a special charm....

Last edited by T_Inman; 12/02/23.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
We eat it all the.time. I killed my last buck this morning. One doe tag left.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Nice work!

Just how I like mine, just barely unable to run off my plate.

It’s why they call it red meat…….

Me too. "So that a veterinarian of some talent could revive it."

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
This year was warm so I actually butchered at camp…kinda. Cut up and bagged for trim and burger. The good straps and loins got put on ice until I got home and vac sealed them.

We’re going to get some sticks and polish made this season I think.

I have a decent amount to grind up. Typically we don’t mix the grind. But we bought a 1/4 of beef and some of it is kinda tough. So, we’re going to mix it with the grind.

Last edited by tzone; 12/03/23.

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Buckstopper
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Nice work!

Just how I like mine, just barely unable to run off my plate.

It’s why they call it red meat…….

Me too. "So that a veterinarian of some talent could revive it."

+2

-Ken

Page 3 of 19 1 2 3 4 5 18 19

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

444 members (1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 1Longbow, 17Fan, 12344mag, 57 invisible), 2,805 guests, and 1,260 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,112
Posts18,483,398
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.