Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Owned most makes of 44’s in the last 50 years. Ruger Superblackhawk, Redhawk, Freedom Arms, S&W, and Colt. Can’t really go wrong with any of them as long as you can work around mediocre triggers as far as the Rugers and Anaconda goes. If you have the time, patience, and money in the checkbook any trigger can be improved.
I sent my new Anaconda off to Heffron for one of his premier action jobs and now consider the Anaconda to have the best SA trigger of any revolver I ever handled.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by DesertMuleDeer
(snip)

I don’t particularly remember the Redhawks shooting loose as evidenced by more end shake or side-to-side play with the hammer back. It’s that the lock would come out of the bolt notch on the cylinder upon firing and the cylinder would rotate free on high-round count guns.

I don’t know the physics of what’s happening, but suspect the basepin arrangement of the Blackhawk stands up to heavy usage better with less deflection (bolt notch moving away from lock in recoil) on high round count guns than the mechanism on a Redhawk (or S&W), but that is a guess. I also suspect the heavier frame and larger cylinder of a Redhawk would stand more pressure than a Blackhawk but that is another guess.

Snipped your post to address the Redhawk.

I have one I bought in 1987 and it's been shot quite a lot with max+ loads. Most a LBT WLN .500 nose 320gr1400 fps.

I just dug it out to see if I could see any wear that might explain your experiences.

The action was pretty dirty and rotation of the cylinder was stiff and gummy.

I could get the hammer to full cock before the bolt entered the bolt latch. Some wear on the pawl/ratchet had slowed the timing. Little bit of lube on ratchet/pawl and cyclinder pin have the bolt locking right at full cock.

I have shot that revolver enough to have broken not 1 but 2 of the sturrips that connect spring to hammer. If I was to start shooing it again I would replace the pawl and maybe the ratchet.

My .45 Colt Redhawk bolt engages the notch long before the hammer reaches full cock.

My guess is the Redhawks you have seen not locked after firing had fired unlocked due to wear induced timing issues.

Something to check on any revolver under hard use and keeping the pawl/ratchet lubed will reduce wear.

I am a huge fan of the Redhawk but any machine is going to wear and all revolvers will lose timing on a long enough time scale.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
People make a lot of noise about the Redhawk triggers, as if they are something positively wretched. I have seen some very good groups fired from Redhawks used in the double action mode. Of course I have heard more than a few people complain that they could not fire a group while using a Glock or a Sig-Sauer, stating that they had to have God's Gun, the 1911 in .45 ACP.

I think most of the noise comes from folks who make a lot of excuses why they can't shoot groups with anything other than their gun, and even then it is often a case of " well I am not at my best, but you should have been here Tuesday".

If you are a proficient shooter, you can shoot a Redhawk well double action. If you are not, having pretty much any gun, custom tuned or not is not going to help you much.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
People make a lot of noise about the Redhawk triggers, as if they are something positively wretched. I have seen some very good groups fired from Redhawks used in the double action mode. Of course I have heard more than a few people complain that they could not fire a group while using a Glock or a Sig-Sauer, stating that they had to have God's Gun, the 1911 in .45 ACP.

I think most of the noise comes from folks who make a lot of excuses why they can't shoot groups with anything other than their gun, and even then it is often a case of " well I am not at my best, but you should have been here Tuesday".

If you are a proficient shooter, you can shoot a Redhawk well double action. If you are not, having pretty much any gun, custom tuned or not is not going to help you much.

Truth ^^^^^^

Semper Fi
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Will you all quit talking about 44 magnum revolvers.........

I sold mine about 3-4 years ago but have 4-500 rounds of loaded ammo. Even put a couple Ruger Bisley on my gunbroker watch list. What the heck am I going to do with a 44 mag Bisley? I already have a 45 colt and 480 Ruger. 44 mag seems a bit redundant. But I really want one.........

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
IC B2

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Still liking my 83/8” model 29-3 . Shot it the other day at 100 yds. Got a one shot group that measured .429 .

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Im excited. Its not here yet but I have a pre lock 629 DX 8 3/8 on the way, Im hoping for good things. Most of my 1 shot groups are running about .430 or .431 but I'll keep working on it...

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by dogwater
Im excited. Its not here yet but I have a pre lock 629 DX 8 3/8 on the way, Im hoping for good things. Most of my 1 shot groups are running about .430 or .431 but I'll keep working on it...

You definitely picked a good one

Last edited by HeavyLoad; 01/10/24.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Damn! I went to retrieve my old Chrono (Krono?? Crono?? Can't remember how they spelled their brand) unit, intending to bring it to the range with the .44 Mag load in question, and it's not where I thought it was. Haven't seen it in many years, but I thought I knew where to find it. Oh well. Are they still in business?? How much is a new one?

Go getcha a new Garmin.

Garmin Xero Chrinograph

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Yeah, I'm going to be all over that.

I'll tell my chauffeur to get the Rolls ready. grin

IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by kenster99
Still liking my 83/8” model 29-3 . Shot it the other day at 100 yds. Got a one shot group that measured .429 .

And here I thought a group was at least three shots. Nice to see you narrowed it down to one.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Hang on there Tex..Since when is a group only one shot? Even a blind squirrel finds a acorn once in a while!!!

Easy's gettin' harder everyday
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by JohnBurns
Originally Posted by DesertMuleDeer
(snip)

I don’t particularly remember the Redhawks shooting loose as evidenced by more end shake or side-to-side play with the hammer back. It’s that the lock would come out of the bolt notch on the cylinder upon firing and the cylinder would rotate free on high-round count guns.

I don’t know the physics of what’s happening, but suspect the basepin arrangement of the Blackhawk stands up to heavy usage better with less deflection (bolt notch moving away from lock in recoil) on high round count guns than the mechanism on a Redhawk (or S&W), but that is a guess. I also suspect the heavier frame and larger cylinder of a Redhawk would stand more pressure than a Blackhawk but that is another guess.

Snipped your post to address the Redhawk.

I have one I bought in 1987 and it's been shot quite a lot with max+ loads. Most a LBT WLN .500 nose 320gr1400 fps.

I just dug it out to see if I could see any wear that might explain your experiences.

The action was pretty dirty and rotation of the cylinder was stiff and gummy.

I could get the hammer to full cock before the bolt entered the bolt latch. Some wear on the pawl/ratchet had slowed the timing. Little bit of lube on ratchet/pawl and cyclinder pin have the bolt locking right at full cock.

I have shot that revolver enough to have broken not 1 but 2 of the sturrips that connect spring to hammer. If I was to start shooing it again I would replace the pawl and maybe the ratchet.

My .45 Colt Redhawk bolt engages the notch long before the hammer reaches full cock.

My guess is the Redhawks you have seen not locked after firing had fired unlocked due to wear induced timing issues.

Something to check on any revolver under hard use and keeping the pawl/ratchet lubed will reduce wear.

I am a huge fan of the Redhawk but any machine is going to wear and all revolvers will lose timing on a long enough time scale.

Not sure on your theory regarding ratchet/pawl. It's been a long time and the guns went down the road when they had problems. Two of the guns doing this were from memory 1987 Super Redhawks (one 7.5" and one 9.5"), which I believe would have been the first year of production for the Super. They were both exhibiting the behavior mentioned within a couple of years but probably had at least 20,000 rounds each of hot loads through them by then.

I still really like the Super Redhawk. The 7.5" balances particularly well to me and the Hogue grips on the newer ones handle recoil well to my hands and you can get a pretty good single-action pull on one with a little work. I have another one I picked up at I believe Cabelas about 10 years ago. Good shooter, though I haven't shot it
more than 200-300 rounds.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Woodpecker
When I was in the business I never once saw a twisted frame but then this could be a simple matter of terminology used by some here. I worked on lots of 44 mag S&W’s, trigger work on Blackhawks and Super Blackhawks on one or two RedHawks. One common feature of most 44 mag revolvers is low round count. People buy them cause it’s a 44 Mag but most don’t shoot them enough to wear them. I worked at one gun shop that I swear always had eight or more under the counter and we finally just stopped taking them in. None had been shot enough to worry about. So in the 80’s and 90’s you could pick up like new 29’s and Blackhawks for around .50-60 cents on the dollar.

Never ever seen a 44 mag Redhawk with health problems or a Super Blackhawk. Never worked on a Colt Anaconda but have repaired and serviced a number of 29’s and 629’s. The Smith & Wesson design where hot loads are concerned and lots of them ( 20K +-) will develop end shake. If the gun has been shot a lot with full power loads it can get to the point where it doesn’t pay to fix. The end shake and other typical issues is the result of frame stretch, not twisting. Though I like Smiths because they balance well, fastest lock time and ability to really slick up, the design has some inherent weaknesses. The removable side plate reduces a lot of frame metal and rigidity, there is no way around it. But it really only comes into play with hot ammo like the 44 mag or 357’s in K-frames. The 686 ‘L’ frames solved this. They also suffer a bit from a weak cylinder ratchet design. No side plates on the Rugers or Colts.

If I were in the market for a DA 44 mag revolver I’d spend a lot of time seeing if it fits your hand then grips. I for one can’t get used to a Redhawk as the frame and grip design are too big for my hands. The SA Blackhawks will work for just about anybody.

Good Luck
Rick

I've seen a "twisted" frame on a .44.

Years ago I bought a like-new three-screw Super Blackhawk. A friend, who was new to hand loading had just bought a new model .44 and wanted to go shooting. Mid-way through the day, I laid my new-to-me three-screw on the bench and walked away to do something. My friend, unbeknownst to me picked it up and loaded his handholds into the gun and blew the top left half of the cylinder off with what was apparently a double charge of 4756 and a commercial cast bullet. The frame was definitely twisted and bent, but I've never seen it to my knowledge on an intact .44.

Luckily, I stepped away that day because I had been standing to his left when we were shooting together earlier. Glad I didn't catch a piece of cylinder in the face.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

567 members (10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 55 invisible), 2,587 guests, and 1,347 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,292
Posts18,525,764
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.