Camp is where you make it.
GB1

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by southtexas
Originally Posted by Jeffrey
The 70 grain Speer semi-Spitzer is a bonafied deer killer and doesn’t need a fast twist. Super accurate in my Kimber. I’ve killed deer from 50-200 yards with that rig and the results were seemingly identical. Complete pass throughs with good expansion. I once killed a large boar pig with a single shot to the skull at 270 yards with that load. Instant death and an awesome audible thump on impact.

I've always heard that the 70gr Speer is an excellent deer bullet. But I saw a box today on the shelf at a LGS and it says "VARMINT" in large letters on the box. Have they changed the design?

The box has always said “varmint” on it for as long as I have used them, which is only a few years. But it’s just a word on a box. I have cut one lengthwise and it’s a simple thin jacket with uniform lead core. I think the weight and velocity hit the sweet spot of expansion and penetration in the 223. Besides, our Texas deer are like varmints anyhow. Give them a try and see what you think.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
You're all lucky to kill a doe much less a big buck with a 223.

Nuff said...... hint.....

L
LBP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
Originally Posted by fortymile
Surprised no one has mentioned Speer Gold Dot. Not easy to find but used to be made in 55, 62 and 75 grain versions. Those bullets expand beautifully and hold together, and Speer put them in factory ammo. Again, if you can find it.
Been mentioned several times. In fact was mentioned in the OP.
?? I looked again, saw no mention of the Speer Gold Dot. OP mentions the Federal Fusion. Both are good choices IMO but the Gold Dot bullets would be my first choice for deer.
Pretty sure they are the exact same bullet.

Fusion is a factory load, Gold Dot is a component bullet.

I recommended the Power Point because of availability. My favorite.224 bullet for deer and such is the 75gr Gold Dot hands down. They’ve been hard to find as a component for a couple years now. All three Gold Dots are loaded in Speer’s LE line and can be found online.

Will Munny: It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.

Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by REDVANES

Did you, perchance, read the first page of this thread?

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Originally Posted by Jeffrey
The 70 grain Speer semi-Spitzer is a bonafied deer killer and doesn’t need a fast twist. Super accurate in my Kimber. I’ve killed deer from 50-200 yards with that rig and the results were seemingly identical. Complete pass throughs with good expansion. I once killed a large boar pig with a single shot to the skull at 270 yards with that load. Instant death and an awesome audible thump on impact.

Same here. Got a nice 6 pointer with the Speer 70 grain in my 223 Rem. 150 yds., Pass thru, 2" exit hole behind the shoulders, did the mule kick, DOA 25 ft. later.

Last edited by nimblehunter; 12/01/23.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I’ve shot several truck loads of deer with Sierra 1365’s out of 22-250 and 223. No complaints. Also like 55 and 60gr hornady SP. Of the 3 I’d probably pick the 60 horn SP but put any of those in the right place and it’ll be time to get the knife out.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
This one is not a fan of the .223/55gr ttsx. Shot him in the heart at 40-50 yds. Death run of 30 yards, watched him fall. When I gutted him, the heart was actually off. Not much blood on the dry ground but enough if you needed it.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com][/quote]

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by LBP
Surprised no one has mentioned Speer Gold Dot. Not easy to find but used to be made in 55, 62 and 75 grain versions. Those bullets expand beautifully and hold together, and Speer put them in factory ammo. Again, if you can find it.
?? I looked again, saw no mention of the Speer Gold Dot. OP mentions the Federal Fusion. Both are good choices IMO but the Gold Dot bullets would be my first choice for deer.

I recommended the Power Point because of availability. My favorite.224 bullet for deer and such is the 75gr Gold Dot hands down. They’ve been hard to find as a component for a couple years now. All three Gold Dots are loaded in Speer’s LE line and can be found online.

Why has the 75gr Gold Dot become your favorite? I’ve shot 3 deer with the 77TMK and one with the 64BSB, no exits with any of that small sample. If the 75gr Gold Dot would give me exits, it would likely become my favorite as well if I could find acceptable accuracy.

Thanks.

Frank

IC B3

L
LBP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by fshaw
Originally Posted by LBP

Why has the 75gr Gold Dot become your favorite? I’ve shot 3 deer with the 77TMK and one with the 64BSB, no exits with any of that small sample. If the 75gr Gold Dot would give me exits, it would likely become my favorite as well if I could find acceptable accuracy.

Thanks.

Frank

That’s exactly why, it exits. I’ve shot probably a dozen deer so far with the 75gr Gold Dot and haven’t caught one yet.

Will Munny: It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.

Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I have used a wide range of .224 bullets on deer through various cartridges. I like the tougher bullets driven fast by the larger platforms and the various 70-80 grain bullets have their use but a good 55-65 grain soft point is hard to beat, especially from a .223. Not fancy but they work.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by JRS3
I have used a wide range of .224 bullets on deer through various cartridges. I like the tougher bullets driven fast by the larger platforms and the various 70-80 grain bullets have their use but a good 55-65 grain soft point is hard to beat, especially from a .223. Not fancy but they work.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Exactamundo

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by SamOlson

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by ingwe
Originally Posted by SamOlson

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Hint, hint……

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
77 Tipped game king if you can find them

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by mckbcat2000
77 Tipped game king if you can find them

Sierra doesn't list a 77 grain game king on their website. Do you mean a match king?

Mathew 22: 37-39

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Perhaps germane to this discussion... Today I was boning out a shoulder roast from a buck I shot about seven weeks ago with a .223, the bullet being a 65 grain SGK. Distance was about 30 - 35 yards. When I got the meat off the shoulder blade, I found a dime sized hole in the middle of the shoulder blade. There was a crack running vertically from the hole to the top of the shoulder blade. There were a few particles of core and jacket in the muscle around the hole. That was the shoulder on the off side of the deer.

I was shooting from above and only had a couple of seconds to take the shot as he left where he'd been standing in a spot to obscured to take a shot and was heading across a small opening to more brush. I shot him in the neck just ahead of the chest, smashed the spine and down through the forward part of the heart-lung area before busting through the offside shoulder, stopping under the skin. He dropped DRT and never moved.

I think that's pretty good performance from a 65 grain bullet traveling pretty fast.

Mathew 22: 37-39

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by LBP
Originally Posted by fshaw
Originally Posted by LBP

Thanks.

Frank

That’s exactly why, it exits. I’ve shot probably a dozen deer so far with the 75gr Gold Dot and haven’t caught one yet.

Thanks for your reply. What was your load?

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by cra1948
Perhaps germane to this discussion... Today I was boning out a shoulder roast from a buck I shot about seven weeks ago with a .223, the bullet being a 65 grain SGK. Distance was about 30 - 35 yards. When I got the meat off the shoulder blade, I found a dime sized hole in the middle of the shoulder blade. There was a crack running vertically from the hole to the top of the shoulder blade. There were a few particles of core and jacket in the muscle around the hole. That was the shoulder on the off side of the deer.

I was shooting from above and only had a couple of seconds to take the shot as he left where he'd been standing in a spot to obscured to take a shot and was heading across a small opening to more brush. I shot him in the neck just ahead of the chest, smashed the spine and down through the forward part of the heart-lung area before busting through the offside shoulder, stopping under the skin. He dropped DRT and never moved.

I think that's pretty good performance from a 65 grain bullet traveling pretty fast.

That's been my experience with the 55gr too for the most part.

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

82 members (01Foreman400, 35, 405winash, 10gaugemag, 300_savage, 11 invisible), 801 guests, and 780 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,845
Posts18,517,392
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.