Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
S
S
Originally Posted by Swamplord
I [Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]personally haven't done anything in .257 cal off the RUM case diameter but did one off the 338 Lapua/Norma for short actions ... smokes the 257 Wby with ease, using less powder
Interesting and looks great

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
The wildcat concept has such honored members as Ringman and Swamplord on its side; that tells you all you need to know of the idea of building new wildcats in 2023. Kinda like how the biggest Leupold proponents on the fire are Burns, rcmagulia, and VarmintGuy - it's a sign to anyone halfway sane to stay away from the product.

Thanks for the mention.

Although I’ve had great success with Leupold Scopes, I’m sure I could have done as well with any other quality optic.

Natural Talent works that way

To run down Swamplord’s or anyone’s wildcatting is pretty ignorant. Anytime a High BC bullet can be pushed faster, ballistics are improved

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
A lot of shooters don’t know this, but the faster you shoot a bullet the more the BC increases, most BC measurements are taken somewhere around 3000 fps I don’t have the number that the BC goes up with increase velocity, but it is significant I have been told by three separate bullet manufacturers, I have confirmed this myself I shooting bullets with a certain BC at a much higher velocity, and the drop at the other end, was significantly less than if the bullet had continued at it, advertised BC.

RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
i built a 25 Creedmoor and it shoots 2 and 3`s most of the time , but for deer hunting my 257 Weatherby mag. shooting a 103 gr. Hammer bullet at around 3700 FPS works just fine for me ,its a 1/2 -3/4 inch 3 shot 100 yard rifle off a good cement bench with the right powder.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by mathman
I personally haven't done anything in .257 cal off the RUM case diameter but did one off the 338 Lapua/Norma for short actions ... smokes the 257 Wby with ease, using less powder

By "shitting all over a guy's cool idea" do you mean asking questions like how does the highlighted statement comport with the laws of physics?
Magic, of course! I.e. a lack of pressure tested data.

IC B2

Ringman Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I [Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]personally haven't done anything in .257 cal off the RUM case diameter but did one off the 338 Lapua/Norma for short actions ... smokes the 257 Wby with ease, using less powder

That one looks like what I was seeing in my mind. Thanks for the photo.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Teal
What 25 caliber bullet has one so impressed that they feel if they just pushed it faster - it would be better than a comparable bullet in another caliber?

Your question is a non sequitur. It conveys no information.

Everyday Hunter
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
The 25 cal by far has the smallest bullet selection of all calibers up to 338, even 270 has a better selection so you have to make the best with what you have to work with. I don't see any new 25 caliber offerings anytime soon if ever. I think the last one was the 25WSSM and that was 2004 yes that's right 20 years ago, and as far as blanks I haven't seen any one stock those in a while so you might have to rechamber an existing barrels.

I have saying It has always worked for me here it goes.

"The less time a bullet spends in the wind the less it will affected by the wind The shorter the time of flight the better"

That's all I got for now.

RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Berger & Hornady now have 257 bullets in the over .600 BC class but to what advantage? And I'm a 25 fan.

Any neck down on a RUM is a good thing though, it can keep the barrel makers in business. Saying that is curmudgeon coming out of my old ass I guess, but otherwise what's the point? Hasn't most of it been done by now with what we got. Look at the Dakota cartridges.

Just rambling,,,,,wildcatters, Rock On!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Ringman
What 25 caliber bullet has one so impressed that they feel if they just pushed it faster - it would be better than a comparable bullet in another caliber?

The point of a question isn't to convey information, it's to receive it.

Look up "question" and try and understand the definition.

Me

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
"And I'm a 25 fan"

Sorry but the correct accepted terminology is "I am a quarter bore fan"

Now go write that on the blackboard 100 times.

Did I just date myself?

Can you even say blackboard anymore?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The wildcat concept has such honored members as Ringman and Swamplord on its side; that tells you all you need to know of the idea of building new wildcats in 2023. Kinda like how the biggest Leupold proponents on the fire are Burns, rcmagulia, and VarmintGuy - it's a sign to anyone halfway sane to stay away from the product.

It's never not funny when some internet rando tries to boost her cred by running other down.

Rick is an known in the world of long range precision shooting but some do nothing rando poster wants to seem tough by running her suck yet has never done anything in her sad life but post on the internet.

[Linked Image from external-content.duckduckgo.com]

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by gunzo
Berger & Hornady now have 257 bullets in the over .600 BC class but to what advantage? And I'm a 25 fan.

Just rambling,,,,,wildcatters, Rock On!

A friend of mine who is one of the top precision shooters in the country was one of the first sponsored by Blackjack Bullets when they came out with the .257 caliber 131 grain bullet.

He was shooting a 6.5-‘06 in some practical matches that don’t require barrel-burner stages.

He chambered a 25 Creedmoor and shot the 131. He said it’s like cheating. Soon, everyone was building them and kicking ass

Blackjack quit and now he shoots the 134 grain Hornady and says it’s legit.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns

It's never not funny when some internet rando tries to boost her cred by running other down.

Rick is an known in the world of long range precision shooting but some do nothing rando poster wants to seem tough by running her suck yet has never done anything in her sad life but post on the internet.

🤣

The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
The 250 Savage is a great little round that never gets enough credit.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
During a constructive day, I ran some numbers & semi found that the 25 Creed or 25 Souper(25-308) might be the sweet spot for recoil vs. trajectory or something. At that time.

Run some numbers of your own, & you might be surprised. But the constant upgrading & release of better & better bullets makes for a tough conclusion.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
A good 25 cal wildcat that is pretty straight forward and user friendly is the 257 WSM I use 270 WSM brass that I neck down. I use a gutted 270 WSM die to do a full case resize and a 25 WSSM die for the neck, shoulder, and for seating the bullet. They hold 70gr of powder once prepped so you can get 100 rounds out of a pound of powder. A full case of powder and an 87gr V Max will get you 4000 FPS rain or shine. it is a common reamer to rent.

Last edited by granitestate1; 12/06/23.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by granitestate1
A good 25 cal wildcat that is pretty straight forward and user friendly is the 257 WSM I use 270 WSM brasss that I neck down. I use a gutted 270 WSM die to do a full case size and a 25 WSSM die for the neck, shoulder, and for seating the bullet. They hold 70gr of powder once prepped so you can get 100 rounds out of a pound of powder. A full case of powder and an 87gr V Max will get you 4000 FPS rain or shine. it is a common reamer to rent.

That would be bad ass with the 134

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JohnBurns

I think he mentioned you in his post as well.

You ain’t chopped liver in the Long Range Hunting and Shooting World

Randos gotta aim high for effect

😂😂😂

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Ringman

The point of a question isn't to convey information, it's to receive it.

Look up "question" and try and understand the definition.

Teal,

I figured out my problem. The thread is about cartridge cases and your question is about bullets. Sorry for the misunderstanding. I was not thinking about bullets, but I did some checking and think I would use a Hammer Hunter Tipped 95 grainer about 4,000 feet per second.

Everyday Hunter
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
As GUNZO said above, the .25-308 sits in a lovely sweet spot. The .308 has the same case capacity as Ackley's famed 250 AI with much easier case forming steps.

If you have such a needy ego that your pet's velocity must exceed everybody else's pet round, go ahead and neck down a .50 BMG for all I care. Your barrel maker will be able to finance a new yacht.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

527 members (1Akshooter, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 204guy, 007FJ, 1OntarioJim, 55 invisible), 2,397 guests, and 930 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,802
Posts18,496,340
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.