Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I cooked up my chukar and quail from my recent hunt. Marinated in teriyaki overnight. Bacon wrapped then baked. I think Chukar is my favorite eating bird. It's absolutely fantastic. I may have to do that hunt again just for the table fare.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

And the quail cooked the same way.

Last edited by 10Glocks; 12/10/23.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Are chukar white meat breasts and dark meat legs and thighs ??

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I would say yes. Chukar breast meat is whiter than quail. Quail seems to be pretty much all dark meat. All this based on this meal alone.

Last edited by 10Glocks; 12/10/23.
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Worth the hiking, for sure.

Attached Images
Wild Small.jpeg (13.99 KB, 694 downloads)

The Rifle is the Weapon of Democracy
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
My wife's uncle hunts them in around the Snake River in Oregon. He's told me how good an eating bird they are. Of course, here in the east they are all captive bred. But fine eating , nonetheless.

IC B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
After the first and last time I had Chukar I would have to agree with you.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
They're delicious because of the effort it takes to kill one.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Confused
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by high_country_

Unless you're hunting pen raised parrots with yer flatland fat lab...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 10Glocks
I would say yes. Chukar breast meat is whiter than quail. Quail seems to be pretty much all dark meat. All this based on this meal alone.

What kind of quail are you referring to? Bobwhite?

California Quail (AKA Valley quail) and IIRC mountain quail are really white meated like chukar and ruffed grouse.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Bobwhite. Bobwhite breasts seem fairly dark. Not thigh and leg meat kinda dark, but darker than typical white breast meat. And darker, definitely, than Chukar. At least with these birds.

I've eaten Bobwhite before. It's easy to dry them out cooking them. They way we cooked them above kept them nice and moist. Marinated in teriyaki overnight, wrapped in bacon, and cooked at 325 until the deep breast meat hit 165.

The chukar, though, had a better overall flavor. And there's a little more to them than the bobwhite.

Last edited by 10Glocks; 12/14/23.
IC B3

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by high_country_

A lot of truth here. But they really are damn good eating

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Shot a handful of them (pen raised birds) for training with my Airedale over the late summer/early fall. They are delicious. She likes them, I like them. Delicious.

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Down here in Bobwhite country, we mainly dust them with flour and fry. All the quail I've killed here in GA all my life have what I would consider white-meat breasts. I'm talking about wild quail. I have noticed that some of the pen-raised birds are a little darker meat.

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
First time was many years ago on a regulated hunting ground. I was told they were delicious and it was true. Since then because I run bird dogs I have shot more chuckers than I can count and both my wife and I really like them. I am still shooting them and eating them, I belong to a Sportsmans club that has a spin off bird dog club and we shoot chukars , quail and pheasants . They are all good. I will admit I have never shot them in the NW US.

Last edited by oldtimr1; 01/04/24.

The more I get to know people, the better I like dogs, life is short, eat dessert first.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I thought the same thing about chukar the first time I had it.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I do like to eat chukars. It’s been a long time ago tho.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
WILD Bobwhites are White/light meat Birds.......I really KNOW

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Chukars are fine eating bird for sure. Seasoning and milk dredged in batter then fried. Fit to eat.

Think i need a bigger gun
G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Two reasons for hunting wild chukars again and again.

- best table fare of any bird, bar none. Delicate white meat.

- revenge

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Where do you live

I am coming to dinner

How much bacon do you want me to bring

What kind of beer do you like

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Bobwhites here are white meated breasts. I have had pen raised chukars that were given to me. They are good.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
My wife Eileen and I have hunted and cooked a lot of wild upland birds over the decades, many of them when we put 12,000 miles on out vehicles in 2000, when she was assigned to write her book Upland Bird Cookery by, believe it or not, Ducks Unlimited--which after a search a couple years earlier for somebody write Duck & Goose Cookery assigned it to her. It sold so well she also got the call for the upland book.

She does not use pen-raised birds for her recipes, so we did a lot of hunting--and found we both liked chukars and Hungarian partridge the best of all upland birds, because they're a combination of light and dark meat, with more flavor than all-white-meat bird, but not overwhelming like some all-dark-meat birds can be for some people, such as woodcock, sharptails, prairie chickens and sage grouse. Though all can be very good with the right field-care and cooking techniques.

Ptarmigan also rank right up there, for the same reason as chukars and Huns. Have hunted them from Alaska to Nunavut Territory to northern Quebec.....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Grew up eating chukars. As kids the grownups would use us as the bird dogs running up and down the hillsides to flush 'em out.

Funny, we always cleaned our dinner plates after a day of that...

It's you and the bullet, and all the rest is secondary.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by MonkeyWrench
Worth the hiking, for sure.

Looks like my backyard?

Eagles may soar, but a weasel never got sucked into a jet turbine!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Have eaten lots of ringnecks, a few pen-raised chukars, and a quail or two, but ruffed grouse stand out for me as the best eating of all of them. Pretty hard to come by though these days.

What fresh Hell is this?
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Ruffed grouse are excellent, especially for those who prefer white-meated game birds. Have plenty of them right around here in Montana, and have also hunted them in Alberta and Michigan.

But blue/dusky grouse are also all white meat, and twice the size of ruffs, even a little bigger than pheasants. If you prefer white meat they're a good choice.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Pretty cool birds. Love hunting them with shotgun or camera:

I have noted that they're often found in the same country where I hunt mule deer. Steep, rugged terrain. Often chuckar are hard earned.

Regards, Guy

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I like chukars better than quail. But I like Pheasant the best. Wild or farmed.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Elk hunting in Wyoming a few years ago. Grouse all around me , on the ground , just a few feet away . Packing a 338 magnum, no handgun . Threw my shoulder out throwing rocks at them , never hit one . Was wishing for my Colt Frontier Scout 22 , or even a slingshot.
Lesson learned.

Last edited by kenster99; 02/23/24. Reason: Spelling
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Dunno if Wyoming allows shooting grouse with a rifle, but Montana allows rifles of any chambering for "mountain grouse," which means ruffed, spruce and blue grouse (these days sometimes called "dusky"). Have shot the heads off all three with big game rifles chambered for rounds from the .257 Weatherby to the .338 Federal and .338 Winchester Magnum. (Also have killed quite a few with my Colt Frontier Scout .22....)

John Steinbeck
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The Holy Grail of Mountain grouse hunting in NW Montana is a rare version on the 94 Winchester in 410. Works for drive by's and the occasional flushed bird.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I went chukkar hunting for my first time in Oregon a couple moths ago. I think I’m hooked and my next dog will be an upland breed. Hard to hit those birds when they’re jumpy, they’re really fast!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 308Palma
I went chukkar hunting for my first time in Oregon a couple moths ago. I think I’m hooked and my next dog will be an upland breed. Hard to hit those birds when they’re jumpy, they’re really fast!

First time is fun.....after that it's revenge. Well coming from someone who has chased them in the Great Basin region of the west.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
The Chukar's "chukking call" is one of those sounds that reminds you that you are in good country.
Some say that they are laughing.

B L M - Bureau of Land Management
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Agreed, IMO when it comes to game birds Chukar's the best.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I worked with a guy that hunted them in Snake River country. They would drop the hunters off up on top and they would hunt their way down to the river. Then they'd get picked up by boat. He had a good set up.
For those that haven't hunted them, you hunt down on them. They'll fly downhill but they'll run uphill. Uphill hunting does not work on chukar.
And "hot 6's"....leave the dove and quail loads at home....chukar are tough.
1-1/4oz #6 shot at 1330 fps
Steel, I would use #4 shot (maybe #6 for the first shot)

Pro Tip
If you get into a covey and expend your 2 or 3 shots, reload immediately and get ready.
Quite often there will be some late flushers.
While you're doing that you're trying to mark where any birds fell.
It's good, clean fun.

B L M - Bureau of Land Management
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Had some the other night. Chunked up in and air fried breasts and tossed in some wing sauces when done. Kids gobbled them up.

Took the legs/thighs and pressure cooked. Deboned and Wife made a tortilla soup out of that meat, and it’s great as well.

I like them and bobwhites better than pheasants by a long shot. Like chuckar better than quail because they’re so much bigger. I’d call them white meat without hesitation.

Trying for grouse, both ruffed and blue? in NE Utah this fall when I’m out there for “work”. My buddy at the plant says he will get me on them.

He says grouse is no problem, but I’m on my own due chuckar, “they’re right up on that ridge top, go get them, I’m going fishing” are his usual words.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Try my wild chukar diet for rapid weight loss! That pesky "Law of Gravity" is all on their side.... And they come from the neighborhood of the Himalayas!

The last sound you may hear on this earth is "Yuk, yuk, yuk" like the Three Stooges from the top of the next rockbreak! (And guess who is the real stooge).

(I still won't hunt pen-raised birds).

Last edited by Mesa; 03/22/24.

Was Mike Armstrong. Got logged off; couldn't log back on. RE-registered my old call sign, Mesa.
FNG. Again.
Mike Armstrong
M
Campfire Regular
Online Sleepy
Campfire Regular
M
You could wrap a golf ball in bacon and cook it. Taste great, but a bit chewy.

Vena dura, ocyus occide, excusas non offer!
J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Confused
Campfire Outfitter
J
Chukar are the king of gamebirds

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Nothing like that to be had around here unfortunately.
Used to be bobwhite years ago before fire ants and
during the fur boom, but nothing any more.
Lots of dove in some areas.
There's a good many scattered put & take HF
places with different quail and some partridge
and assorted items.
The quail I know of for sure. We got to hunt
one of the put & take places during dove
season one year because the doves were
eating all the quail feed and the owner didn't have
any quail hunts scheduled. If it wasn't a classic
pointy doggy style field and stream worthy type
hunt, he abhorred it. Doves were the same as
bluejays and grackles to him

It would be nice to be able to pop a couple of
bobwhite for supper again.

K
K
I grew up hunting bobwhites in NW Missouri back in the 70's. Didn't see any pheasants until I hunted on my brother in laws farm in north central Kansas from 1986 to 2001. There are few quail and no pheasants where I live now in SE Kansas so I hunt chukars on preserve hunts to train my brittany. I do like eating them better than quail for sure. Did a Good Friday hunt last week to finish the preserve season and made some chukar an' dumplins for my Easter dinner.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Direct_Drive
The Chukar's "chukking call" is one of those sounds that reminds you that you are in good country.
Some say that they are laughing.
It's basically them saying "chuk you"

"The Ballpark burgers were free, why not eat them?"
- Wabi-
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yep!

Was hunting chukars on the east side of Hell's Canyon of the Snake River in Idaho around 20 years ago, during one of those great-hatch years. Found and shot quite a few--but could hear plenty of coveys saying "chuk you" all the way across the river....

John Steinbeck
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Growing up us kids were the "chukar dogs" over on 12-mile canyon where they flourished. Both up and down the hill we'd go keeping them in action for the grownups to shoot.

It was worth it because boy, are they good eating!

It's you and the bullet, and all the rest is secondary.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
We used to hunt chuckars during the mid-day hours of our rifle mule deer hunts on the Deschutes River in Oregon, we used to raft in and pretty much had the place to ourselves. One year 7 rafts of chuckar hunters and their dogs came in and pretty much messed up the deer hunting.

After that, we went deer hunting a week earlier because chuckar season was closed. Boy, I missed those days! Tough choice for mid-day activity, chuckar hunting or trout and steelhead fishing!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

576 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 160user, 1936M71, 1234, 007FJ, 57 invisible), 2,537 guests, and 1,381 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,695
Posts18,475,163
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.