Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
jorgeI Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
In what year did Remington do away with the locking bolt safety and why and if you replace it with an after market trigger will the bolt lock?

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My understanding is that it was 1982 when they did away with the bolt locking. Replacing the trigger with a new one will do away with that feature.

jorgeI Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
TY.But why?

Last edited by jorgeI; 12/11/23.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by jorgeI
TY.But why?

Because some people consider it a safety hazard to have to take the rifle off safe to remove a round from the chamber.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have 700's that lock, and those that don't. While I don't consider the older ones to be a hindrance, I prefer the newer ones. The 3 position safety, as a Winchester and Howa, is better, although the 700 and 7's are my favorite bolt action rifle, and the most that I own.

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
TY.But why?

Lawyers! That didn't get Remington, but the [bleep] didn't stop. finally got yjre job done. On to the next gun maker!

Last edited by Switch; 12/11/23.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Just buy a Tikka!

jorgeI Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Switch
Just buy a Tikka!

No thanks, Winchesters, Browning Safari Grades, CZ (550s), or Weatherbys for me. I did see a really nice 700 in 3006, but that non locking bolt safety is a non starter for me.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Just buy a Tikka!

No thanks, Winchesters, Browning Safari Grades, CZ (550s), or Weatherbys for me. I did see a really nice 700 in 3006, but that non locking bolt safety is a non starter for me.

Jorge, I own quite a few Remington 700 and 7 rifles, and most of them have an aftermarket trigger. It's really an improvement, and an easy fix to the locking bolt thing.

jorgeI Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by JamesJr
Just buy a Tikka!

Jorge, I own quite a few Remington 700 and 7 rifles, and most of them have an aftermarket trigger. It's really an improvement, and an easy fix to the locking bolt thing.

That would be the only way I'd buy this rifle, installing an after market. IT's really a nice piece.

IC B3

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Ruger also has a 3 position bolt safety. The middle safety will allow you to extract a live round and the firing pin can't fire. It is similar to the Winchester. Old Mausers have a 3 position bolt safety. Why Remington didn't do this is beyond me. Easy to have a misfire. If you accidentally drop a Remington and it hits on the bolt, it could fire, unlike other rifles. I have slipped and fell while hunting. I had to slam on the brakes on my truck one time, and my guns fell out of the gun rack. Don't use a gun rack anymore. Knocked my scope off about 8". Cheap scope, like 50 years ago.

L
LBP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Just buy a Tikka!

Jorge if it’s a Walker trigger you can also pick up a pre-82 safety lever from online parts places like Numrich and fit it to your trigger housing.

I forgot about having to mill the slot for it on the receiver if it doesn’t have it. Definitely something to check.

Last edited by LBP; 12/11/23.

Will Munny: It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.

Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.
jorgeI Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Thank you guys for the info,

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by LSU fan
TY.But why?

Because some people consider it a safety hazard to have to take the rifle off safe to remove a round from the chamber.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

THIS

Ive had both and just prefer to open the bolt on a live round with the rifle on safe.

And yes Ive replaced a few triggers and the bolt lock feature goes away

Calling predators and getting in and out of vehicles and box blinds necessitates a lot of chamber loading/unloading...just makes me feel better....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Locking bolt safety rifles are not for children! You will like the non locking bolt safety if you like hunting with an open bolt. lost cartridge, and chamber full of crap!

jorgeI Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Locking bolt safety rifles are not for children! You will like the non locking bolt safety if you like hunting with an open bolt. lost cartridge, and chamber full of crap!

THIS. I hunt with a locked and loaded rifle. Edited to add, guys, I don't want this turning into a pissing contest or a "I hate 700s" thread. Most of you guys know how I feel about them anyway, but some of the older 700s are real nice rifles and to me, the non-locking safety has always been a showstopper.

Last edited by jorgeI; 12/11/23.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I have no problem with the non-locking bolt version although once I did have my bolt come open in some thick brush. Almost never a problem for me though.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I once went to the expence of adding a Mod 70 type 3 position safety to a 700. I should have just used a push feed Model 70 action and wouldn't have had at ugly gap where the safety used to be. I could have welded and reshaped action and filled and repainted glass stock, but looney can only go so far!

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
. Edited to add, guys, I don't want this turning into a pissing contest or a "I hate 700s" thread. Most of you guys know how I feel about them anyway, but some of the older 700s are real nice rifles and to me, the non-locking safety has always been a showstopper.

jorge you should know by now the 'fire guys can and will turn anything into a pissing contest.

We can ramp them up and sit back and watch by changing the thread title to"Jews love M700s, pro-lifers love 700s, and they were created on day three of the earths creation..."

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
One of the most accurate factory rifles I've ever shot was a LH 700 BDL with a locking bolt. Factory ammo, 4 × 4 with a sand bag under the forearm, left fist under the butt stock and a crpy scope. You could easly cover the 100 yard five shot group with a nickel. The owner of the rifle kept the target, he told me other people have tried to match the group and no one has succeeded. Honestly I don't think I could repeat it either. 🤭

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

281 members (1lessdog, 2ndwind, 204guy, 280shooter, 264mag, 06hunter59, 39 invisible), 2,053 guests, and 602 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,445
Posts18,507,878
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.