Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
How is it any different than using a suppressed rifle with a 3000 dollar optic and popping deer from 1000 yards away. Technology changes the hunting game. Often times more than not. He still had to go out and get it done. Which he did. If your that much of a purist, then grab a longbow and a flintlock. It's all right place, right time anyways.
Congrats on the deer man. Again.

GB1

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
It's a matter of legal or illegal, not whether it is cheating or not. smile

Nobody's right if everybody's wrong.
Getting into reloading to save money is like getting married for free sex.
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by DaveinWV
Legal doesn't neccesarily equal ethical, sporting, fair chase or even "hunting". It's legal to shoot deer off their feeder inside a small enclousure/high fence. Sometimes killing is just killing. The OP killed a deer. Whether he hunted or not or killed it under fair chase is debatable.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Originally Posted by DaveinWV
Legal doesn't neccesarily equal ethical, sporting, fair chase or even "hunting". It's legal to shoot deer off their feeder inside a small enclousure/high fence. Sometimes killing is just killing. The OP killed a deer. Whether he hunted or not or killed it under fair chase is debatable.
The difference is that "legal" is reasonably objective. We can all agree (again, within reason) on what is legal and not legal. "Ethical," "sporting," "fair chase," and "hunting" are all subjective to some extent, so not everyone will agree. As you said, debatable.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I figured most of the negative comments would come from the cell camera not the feeder. Funny the people that think a feeder takes all the work out of it. Meanwhile I haven’t see a good buck at a feeder in a few years on my lease and spent the last couple of weeks planning on new spots in the woods away from food plots for next year.

I don’t care how you killed him, that’s up to you. My only comment would be that it’s a mistake to not hunt an area just because you don’t have good bucks on camera. Year in, year out the best deer killed on our lease never walked in front of a camera. Mature bucks have an uncanny ability to avoid them. Kind of like fishing, you gotta go to know.

IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I’d put it in the freezer gladly, probably wouldn’t put it on the wall though. I’d hate to have to tell that story to anyone that asked about it.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I’m
Originally Posted by LSU fan
I figured most of the negative comments would come from the cell camera not the feeder. Funny the people that think a feeder takes all the work out of it. Meanwhile I haven’t see a good buck at a feeder in a few years on my lease and spent the last couple of weeks planning on new spots in the woods away from food plots for next year.

I don’t care how you killed him, that’s up to you. My only comment would be that it’s a mistake to not hunt an area just because you don’t have good bucks on camera. Year in, year out the best deer killed on our lease never walked in front of a camera. Mature bucks have an uncanny ability to avoid them. Kind of like fishing, you gotta go to know.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Cheers. Great deer.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
To those who think the criteria for hunting is just a matter of legal or not completely miss the ethical concept of ‘ fair chase ‘. Those who in the financial world who exploit legal loopholes or those companies that misrepresent their products because it’s technically legal are taking advantage of the public, our lands, resources and the general public’s inherent rights. The Kodak vs Polaroid suits are a perfect example of this mind set. Kodak stole Polaroids patents and engineering property knowing very well they could make a monetary killing selling a stolen property by dragging it through the courts for decades until the patent ran out. Was it legal, yes, but was it ethical absolutely NOT.

The entire basis of public law , ( John Stuart Mill ), is based on ethics and protection of your fellow man. In a truly ethical society you don’t need politicians constantly rewriting legal code trying to contain loopholes. So to those who believe technology will always drive and change the ethical rules of hunting I truly believe sooner than later we will find ourselves hunting from our homes with cameras, drones and remote firing mechanisms. Sounds crazy but if technology keeps on encroaching on hunting, much like 360° scanning fishing sonars, the true foundation of the hunt is over. Understand the rate of technological growth has completely overrun hundreds of years of law. New gadgets could care less about ethics since they only do their job. The legal system cannot keep pace with technological advancement but shouldn’t hunters be able to draw the line. I sure hope so

Rick

Last edited by Woodpecker; 12/12/23.
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by Woodpecker
I’m

?🤷🏼‍♂️

IC B3

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I’m

?🤷🏼‍♂️

I honestly don’t know where that post attributed to me came from. I’m confused too

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I’m

?🤷🏼‍♂️

I honestly don’t know where that post attributed to me came from. I’m confused too

👍🏼

RL Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
To those who think the criteria for hunting is just a matter of legal or not completely miss the ethical concept of ‘ fair chase ‘. Those who in the financial world who exploit legal loopholes or those companies that misrepresent their products because it’s technically legal are taking advantage of the public, our lands, resources and the general public’s inherent rights. The Kodak vs Polaroid suits are a perfect example of this mind set. Kodak stole Polaroids patents and engineering property knowing very well they could make a monetary killing selling a stolen property by dragging it through the courts for decades until the patent ran out. Was it legal, yes, but was it ethical absolutely NOT.

The entire basis of public law , ( John Stuart Mill ), is based on ethics and protection of your fellow man. In a truly ethical society you don’t need politicians constantly rewriting legal code trying to contain loopholes. So to those who believe technology will always drive and change the ethical rules of hunting I truly believe sooner than later we will find ourselves hunting from our homes with cameras, drones and remote firing mechanisms. Sounds crazy but if technology keeps on encroaching on hunting, much like 360° scanning fishing sonars, the true foundation of the hunt is over. Understand the rate of technological growth has completely overrun hundreds of years of law. New gadgets could care less about ethics since they only do their job. The legal system cannot keep pace with technological advancement but shouldn’t hunters be able to draw the line. I sure hope so

Rick

Ethics according to who??? What happened that wasn't fair chase? Is it like when gunpowder was introduced to hunting? The ethics argument is a personal conviction and what you think versus what someone else thinks is ultimately determined by the law.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
seems to me that hunting over a feeder is much the same as hunting over a water tank/hole, or over a well used game trail. Nothing wrong with doing any of that. After all, we humans are smart enough to know to hunt in a spot that gives us the best chance at the opportunity to fill any given tag.

Congrats on a nice buck.

Laws aren't preventative measures. In other words, more laws won't prevent gun crime from happening.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Great buck!

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Feeding and baiting deer are illegal here as is using electronic communication during a hunt, hunting from a motorized vehicle of any kind and running deer with dogs. It's been that way for as far back as I can remember and I'm in my 60's so naturally most hunters here think of them as unsporting practices. Obviously anything goes in other States so hunters there tend to think these things are OK.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Nice buck!

Small Game, Deer, Turkey, Bear, Elk....It's what's for dinner.

If you know how many guns you own... you don't own enough.

In God We Trust.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Grok thought Ong wasn’t ethical when he put a stone tip on the end of his spear instead of just using a fire-hardened sharpened stick like a real sportsman.

Mathew 22: 37-39

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by cra1948
Grok thought Ong wasn’t ethical when he put a stone tip on the end of his spear instead of just using a fire-hardened sharpened stick like a real sportsman.

Reminds me from way back when Virginia allowed inline muzzle-loaders *GASP* and a few years later scopes on those inlines!!!

FJB & FJT
J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Originally Posted by Raeford
Originally Posted by cra1948

Reminds me from way back when Virginia allowed inline muzzle-loaders *GASP* and a few years later scopes on those inlines!!!

Yeah, same progression and debate in Georgia back in the day…

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

501 members (219 Wasp, 01Foreman400, 160user, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 45 invisible), 2,410 guests, and 1,035 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,662
Posts18,512,891
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.