Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by PatB
my old house had the transom windows, screened in porches, knob and tube wiring, huge laundry/pantry and an attic fan, no a/c.. fireplace in every bedroom and living area. No phone line. Was built at the turn of the century.. Neat old place, I lived in it for 32 years and loved every minute.
Our 1st house was like that, build between '05 and '10. It also had knob and tube wiring. A good bit of the wire insulation had dried and fallen off leaving bare wires all over the attic. It also only had 5 outlets for the entire house. I rewired it and added beaucoup outlets. I also added a 200amp service. It had an old oil furnace and I wanted the capacity to go electric when it was time to replace the beast.

It was a tiny 2 bedroom house. Originally, it had no bathroom and there was a closet between the bedrooms. The closet had been converted into a bathroom, accessible only through the bedrooms.

Back to the thread - there really wasn't any part of that old house that I missed when we finally got the money to buy something bigger.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Certifiable
My house was built in ‘38…

of the things so far mentioned I have mail slot in front door, phone alcove, fold out ironing board and kitchen cabinets that vent to the outside

Mine in 1922. Have the fold down ironing board in the kitchen. Wife made me keep it 30 years ago when I wanted to rip it out to set the fridge back into the wall. Sits in front and is too damn close to front of stove for my liking but hey happy wife😏

Aslo the original school bell style front door bell is exposed in kitchen and has a connection to the back porch which I disconnected as the kids were growing up and would ring it to see us go to front door just for chits and giggles.

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We had a milk door when i was a kid. A buddy had the coal door and chute.

"I Birn Quhil I Se" MacLeod of Lewis
I Burn While I See
Hold Fast MacLeod of Harris
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Wood lath and plaster walls. 15' high celings, wiith 8' tall double hung wood sash windows with cast iron sash weights on cotton ropes.....so much fun to replace. Pop, bang, middle of the night, stuff.

Good old days of no insulation in the walls or the celing. Wood floors that squeak or when someone walks above drops dirt onto you or in your plate. I love it.

Our first house in NH was a 3 story built in the 1800s that we the wife and me rented as newlyweds because it was cool, yeah, cool is the word, unless at head height, then it was hot. Then you get the fuel oil bill for that monster. Took an oil tanker to feed the boiler for hot water and the steam registers.

“To expect defeat is nine-tenths of defeat itself. It becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. It is best to plan for all eventualities then believe in success, and only cross the failure bridge if you come to it."
Francis Marion - The Swamp Fox
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
first house we owned had a mail slot in the door and we'd get our mail that way , also had a coal chute on the side feeding into a dedicated room under the porch. Built in 1934 - very high quality little brick tudor cottage. I loved that house, wish I still had it. House had zero installation though. In the winter it felt like you were sleeping next to an open refrigerator door with the headboard next to an exterior wall.

also had a meter in the basement and the utility man had a key to the house - something we didn't know when we bought it. My wife was a stay at home mother and this man just walks in the back door unannounced one day, scared the schit out of her.

He was apologetic but I was never comfortable with a copy of my house key out there in the general public.

House I have now has a laundry chute and we use it regularly. Goes from the second story to the basement.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
IC B2

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

592 members (16penny, 10gaugeman, 17Hunter, 163bc, 1234, 10gaugemag, 66 invisible), 2,144 guests, and 1,215 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,824
Posts18,496,551
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.