Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Yes the Remlins had sharp edges. And numerous other issues.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My Remlins don’t have sharp edges. Maybe I was lucky or maybe because I got later ones???

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Bugger
My Remlins don’t have sharp edges. Maybe I was lucky or maybe because I got later ones???
I don't know Bugger. Early in Remington production I found sharp edges, poorly indexed barrels, canted/misaligned sights, horrible wood to metal fit, poorly finished wood with horrible checkering. I soon lost interest and quit looking.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
The only thing I've noticed is sharp edges. So, I took one of my closely-guarded pennies and rubbed the sharp edges with that. Still has a crisp edge, but isn't a hazard anymore.

I heard all about the Remingtons, so never really considered one.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

My impression from the talk I heard is that Remington was getting their act together towards the end and actually made a fairly good product. So that very well may be.

I got one better than that--I've not had a Leupold fail....yet....

IC B2

L
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
L
Craftsmanship isn’t developed over night, lever guns were not in Rem / Ruger line when they took them on. Remington had to stop production and re- boot to get the quality up to snuff. I expect Ruger took some of the lessons learned. I am happy these companies are keeping these lines alive and working to improve.

I have handled several of the marlins and think they did a nice job all around.

If you see one on the rack with sharp edges, poor fit, quality issue, point out the defects to the dealer and ask to see another. If purchase one on-line assure you have inspection privileges, and send it back. Point out the defects to the dealer and let them work with the mfg, Ruger will learn from mistakes.

Bottom line….If the gun doesn’t feel right don’t buy it, it’s not one of a kind. You have plenty of options, including used JMs 😉

Shop Smart, be patient, and be happy!

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by LeverGunner
Craftsmanship isn’t developed over night, lever guns were not in Rem / Ruger line when they took them on. Remington had to stop production and re- boot to get the quality up to snuff. I expect Ruger took some of the lessons learned. I am happy these companies are keeping these lines alive and working to improve.

I have handled several of the marlins and think they did a nice job all around.

If you see one on the rack with sharp edges, poor fit, quality issue, point out the defects to the dealer and ask to see another. If purchase one on-line assure you have inspection privileges, and send it back. Point out the defects to the dealer and let them work with the mfg, Ruger will learn from mistakes.

Bottom line….If the gun doesn’t feel right don’t buy it, it’s not one of a kind. You have plenty of options, including used JMs 😉

Shop Smart, be patient, and be happy!
Ruger hasn't "learned from their mistakes" on their own branded guns. I have no reason to believe they will on the Marlins. I've personally seen more garbage from Ruger over the past 40 odd years than any other gun company. The most recent an American rimfire .17 HMR I purchased that had hard chambering and would not extract fired shells right out of the box. Every fired casing needed to be pried out of the chamber with a screwdriver and with difficulty from shot one and it did the same with Hornady, Winchester and CCI ammuntion. This tells me the gun was not test fired at all before being shipped from the factory.. I sent that POS back, whereupon Ruger sent me another with the same exact issue. I called customer service again and they offered to send me a third example. At that point I told them I didn't want any more of their junk and to send me a refund. Which they promptly did after I sent their second piece of junk back..

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Vic_in_Va

My impression from the talk I heard is that Remington was getting their act together towards the end and actually made a fairly good product. So that very well may be.

I got one better than that--I've not had a Leupold fail....yet....
I have one of the last 45-70 22" Remlins.
I can't find anything wrong with it.

B L M - Bureau of Land Management
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Razor sharp edges. Always a mark of quality, attention to detail and vigorous quality control. LOL

It literally takes just a penny to smooth it out.
grin

I had read that one of the improvements they wanted to institute was eliminating just that. If they addressed sharp edges, I would hate to see how the older ones were....

Other than that, I don't have any complaints so far.

Damn, you'd think Ruger could scrounge up a few pennies.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I agree with you, but they were there and I remedied the situation. So far, that's my only complaint, and from what I've read on 1894s, it's been an issue for awhile. I'm not sure about JM guns, but apparently the Remingtons. This is the first 1894 I've had. At least it has the twist I want, the barrel looked good in the borescope, the trigger doesn't take two men and four boys to pull, and it it hits where pointed.

Do you have it scoped? If so, what kind of groups are you getting?

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yes the Remlins had sharp edges. And numerous other issues.
I have a late remlin and it’s been great. The later guns were pretty decent. The new ruger made guns look pretty nice but haven’t cycled or shot one.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I’ll agree with you Blackheart on Ruger’s. But I’ll say my Remlins are nicer than my JM’s. They have better finish, bluing & the feed flawlessly.

The rumor, which I am inclined to believe, is that Marlin relied on craftsmen to do a lot of finish work and their drawings were inexact. Remington management wanted computer precision. The drawings from Marlin were ‘pathetic’. Remington tried to follow Marlins drawings and created the early Remlins. It took the Remington engineering department to correct the issues. In the end Remington had a design down pat for the “Marlin 336 etc.”.

I have a JM 35 Remington 336 that someone could pry out of my fingers. I don’t live where a 35 makes much sense.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Razor sharp edges. Always a mark of quality, attention to detail and vigorous quality control. LOL

It literally takes just a penny to smooth it out.
grin

I had read that one of the improvements they wanted to institute was eliminating just that. If they addressed sharp edges, I would hate to see how the older ones were....

Other than that, I don't have any complaints so far.

Damn, you'd think Ruger could scrounge up a few pennies.

You'd think. I was somewhat disappointed in that, having owned several Ruger products and my experience with a Ruger-made 1895, though it disappointed me with the fact that the throat in the barrel was too short, which I fixed.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
I agree with you, but they were there and I remedied the situation. So far, that's my only complaint, and from what I've read on 1894s, it's been an issue for awhile. I'm not sure about JM guns, but apparently the Remingtons. This is the first 1894 I've had. At least it has the twist I want, the barrel looked good in the borescope, the trigger doesn't take two men and four boys to pull, and it it hits where pointed.

Do you have it scoped? If so, what kind of groups are you getting?

I had just typed a detailed response, but it just disappeared. With no effort at load development it shot some 1" groups at 50 yards, about what I expect, but bear in mind I was shooting leftover ammo, if that has any bearing. It is scoped, and that is a Leupold VX-3i in QRW rings on a MI rail.

I was not trying to wring it out for accuracy, but simply function-check the platform as a whole. Got additional ammo loaded today, so 100 yards is next. Bumped the charge a smidge as the chrono and sooty cases indicated it may be slightly under-loaded, and H-110 isn't the best for that.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by Sweets
Picked one up today. Was thrilled as I've been waiting for them to release them and didn't know they did. I almost passed thinking it was a 44mag. I really want to like this....I REALLY do, so I want to give it a chance. Here's my first take. Got it home and loaded 5 357 flat nose soft point 158gr. Wanted to see how it would cycle. IT DIDNT. Jammed up tight on first stroke! Had to take it all apart. The edges are razor sharp, so I'm typing this with band aids on my fingers. Lol. Get it all back together, seems to function, feed and eject just fine. Then I noticed the rear sight just flops around. Will figure out what to do with that, but for just shy of $1300, I expected better. Like I said, I REALLY want to like it, and I most likely will but,COME ON RUGER!!!!!

PSA is advertising these at $999 which is just shy of twice what I paid for my last one, new.

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A

You are dead right Bugger.
The early Rwmlins may have had a few issues but thw later ines were as good as thw very best Marlin ever put out.

I used a bunch of these since the 1971 1895 was reintroduced and the later Remlins I saw were great lever rifles. Even bought one for myself.

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
W
W
I’ve got 3 new ruger made marlins, one 1984 in 44 and it is perfect with all aspects of the gun. I also have a 1895 SBL and a trapper in 45/70 these also are perfect. IMO these ruger made guns are as good if not better than the old JM stamped models. And I have lots of the older guns that I absolutely love but ruger is doing a great job on there production.

B
B
Oh really

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I just bought a Ruger/Marlin .357 last Friday and I'm very impressed with it! Slick right outta the box, great wood to metal fit and the quality of the machining is better than any JM 1894 I've had or handled.
I put a Burris 1.5x Full Field on in Weaver mounts and grabbed some Federal A.E. 158 grain soft points. On a WINDY 37° day with snow squalls, 3 shot groups at 50 yards were an inch, give or take.
Her trigger can use a bit if work, but its liveable.
The bore doesn't copper foul and cleans easily.
I paid $1000 for her.
Yikes!
But she's a fine little carbine.

Keepin my back green and my powder dry.
The LORD bless and keep you
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

563 members (1minute, 1234, 160user, 10Glocks, 16penny, 57 invisible), 2,414 guests, and 1,285 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,527
Posts18,472,663
Members73,939
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.