Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 300savagehunter
2 yrs ago Jeep wanted $600 to change a headlight bulb.
Makes sense on some jeeps. They blow to change out and flat rate books show 2-4 hrs depending on model

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
They probably forgot to add disposal fee too.

Don't limit your challenges
Challenge your limits
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Swifty52
Originally Posted by Teal
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Shop rate is probably 125 dollars or a bit more.

You think they should do it for free?

This - along with 1/4 hour minimum charge - yeah, 54 bucks makes sense. Not for me but how they got to the number.

They got the number from the flat rate book.

And I bet the book tells the tech to disconnect the battery before doing such "electrical" work.

I'd never pay it but I get how they got to 54 bucks. Flat rate's prob 3/10 of an hour, so that's 18 mins, 48 in labor, 6 bucks for the bulb. (local powersports dealer is 160 an hour so I think 160 is prob the neighborhood the shop rate is)

Me

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
They take advantage of the ignorant and the old.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Originally Posted by CCCC
Fortunately, due to some will power and acquired skills, we have never been subject to dealer shop charges or even most mechanic services. But, that world is real - the businesses exist to make the profit, and to maximize that when they can.

If you don't need or care for caviar - don't buy it. If you can't shine your shoes or don't wish to do so, wear them scruffy or pay someone to shine them. But, why knock the guy who has formed the business to do what others will not or cannot?

I think capitalism is in there somewhere.

Then don't biotch about $50 aspirin in a hospital? wink
It's fine to complain if that is needed, or if it helps you feel better. But, when you put yourself into a system, you deal with the systemic. The entire med care/insurance scheme is beyond ridiculous and far from capitalistic- a condition that our society has enabled and supported - so far. It will take more than complaining to correct that one.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by reivertom
They take advantage of the ignorant and the old.
And women, and girly men.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
seeing how mechanics around here are $200 an hour just to look at the car, does not surprise me at all

The worst thing ever to happen to cops is the personal video recorder... Now people can see the truth
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
centershot;
Top of the morning to you sir, I hope your part of Idaho is getting a mild winter so far too and you're all well.

When I read the title to the thread, I was reminded of a couple instances from when I was in charge of maintaining the equipment and vehicle fleet for a mid sized local construction company.

The boss' wife drove a Mercedes SUV - a diesel so maybe a 450? I want to say it was a 2016-2018 model maybe?

Anyways, she brought it to me one day to see if I could look into a burned out taillight bulb on the passenger side.

When I took a look initially, I couldn't figure out how they'd managed to hold the taillight assembly in.

If memory serves I had to go in through the back and remove an access cover in the storage area at the back, but when I got that cover off I saw what looked like a medium sized computer which was directly in front of the bulb holding assembly.

Since I had no idea what would happen if I disconnected the computer and had no way of re-flashing or rebooting the thing, I put the cover back on, informed the lady and then called a local shop which specialized in German cars.

They did the job alright, but charged here something close to $1500 because of the labour to do the computer removal and reboot, etc.

The second instance was the first time one fine but chilly BC winter day the dash on our '03 Dodge pickup informed me that I needed to replace a taillight bulb.

Easy enough I thought, but since the pickup doesn't fit into our car garage at home I had to work at it outside. When the taillight assembly screws came out and nothing moved - at all - I had to resort to reading the owner's manual.

In there they informed the gentle reader that one "should not and could not" remove the taillight assembly if the ambient temperatures were even close to freezing as one risked breaking the plastic pins which were what was holding the silly thing so firmly in place.

For the life of me I can't recall exactly how it was I warmed it up enough to pull that assembly very carefully straight out, but I do recall complaining loud and long to my wife afterwards how some engineer somewhere - likely in Mexico where the truck was assembled - built something that couldn't be worked on outside for half the year.

Now if we started a thread on changing headlight bulbs, I'd have another story about that same truck and might admit to how many hours it took me to find that one hidden screw which nobody in the YouTube videos I watched managed to mention...

Not that I'm bitter mind you, not much... laugh

All the best to you all this Christmas Season.

Dwayne

Last edited by BC30cal; 12/15/23.

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Doctors have it easy- - - - -only two models to work on, and no changes for at least a thousand years. They also get to bury their mistakes. If you want to bitch about what a mechanic charges, do your own repairs. Don't bitch about farmers with your mouth full, and crawl under your house and unclog that schiddy sewer pipe while you're at it!

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by centershot
Makes me wonder how many would have them do it?

Women.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
IC B3

DMc Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Stealership…. Lol

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Who gave the order to stop counting votes in the swing states on the night of November 3/4, 2020?
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
As reported by several people above, fixing things on cars today is no longer a screwdriver and wrench deal. Cars are intricate and require specialized training to do what seems like simple things. Or stuff gets broken, and then you can be really deep in parts and labor. It is better and cheaper in the long run to let the experts do it - even if it seems like a simple job but turns out not to be.

On many FWD vehicles now, you have to drop the engine to change the spark plugs. That's just one example.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Dinny
Stealerships have been doing that for as long as I can remember. That said, they do have their purpose. I call the parts dept anytime I need a part number to cross reference and buy somewhere else.

And I'll call you out as a first class A-hole.

"243/85TSX It's as if the HAMMER OF THOR were wielded by CHUCK NORRIS himself, and a roundhouse kick thrown in for good measure."
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I used to love when a customer would come back and complain that I didn't grease their front end during a LOF and then gladly show them how retarded they are because their vehicle doesn't have zerk fittings. Or the [bleep] that insisted in looking over your shoulder while you worked. "Accidently" dropping the oil filter into the roll around drain pan would throw oil onto their clean shirt.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 358Norma_fan
Stealerships have been doing that for as long as I can remember. That said, they do have their purpose. I call the parts dept anytime I need a part number to cross reference and buy somewhere else.

Why?

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Hastings

Why?

Why do you think it's ok to make a parts guy look up all the part number for you when you have no intention of buying them? They're usually on commission and you're taking time away from them that they could be doing a job that actually pays.
I don't begrudge anyone for wanting to save money, but if that's your goal, then do your own dam work and figure out what you need yourself. Would you call a lawyer and expect him to give you free advice so you could represent yourself in your own trial? Or call a realtor to look over your house sale that you're doing yourself and not expect to pay them?

"243/85TSX It's as if the HAMMER OF THOR were wielded by CHUCK NORRIS himself, and a roundhouse kick thrown in for good measure."
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
You guys are forgetting the charge for "shop supplies", you know the two disposable shop towels for the mechanic to wipe his hand on = $50.00 thank you so much.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Imagine that......a repair shop that wants to charge a customer to repair something. And to make matter worse they actually quoted a price to do it in advance.
Shocking I tell you, absolutely shocking.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Hastings

Why?

Why do you think it's ok to make a parts guy look up all the part number for you when you have no intention of buying them? They're usually on commission and you're taking time away from them that they could be doing a job that actually pays.
I don't begrudge anyone for wanting to save money, but if that's your goal, then do your own dam work and figure out what you need yourself. Would you call a lawyer and expect him to give you free advice so you could represent yourself in your own trial? Or call a realtor to look over your house sale that you're doing yourself and not expect to pay them?

I wonder how many parts people I've put into the welfare system calling and talking to them for 5-10 minutes every few years. 🤣😂

Medics bury their mistakes..
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
got $300 to change a fuse once... felt like a Doctor for a day...

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

627 members (160user, 10Glocks, 1badf350, 10ring1, 21, 007FJ, 69 invisible), 2,617 guests, and 1,374 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,093
Posts18,483,005
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.