Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Some folks believe anything mechanical or electrical is pure magic and think the dealership is the only place to get it repaired.

I could have built my own house, but preferred to earn the money doing something I actually knew more about and paying a professional with that money.

Life is full of options. Personally, I prefer to work on our vehicles myself, but can understand why many people don’t.

Last edited by gregintenn; 12/15/23.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by gunswizard
You guys are forgetting the charge for "shop supplies", you know the two disposable shop towels for the mechanic to wipe his hand on = $50.00 thank you so much.

Shop supplies is usually calculated as a % of the labor unless they use the entire thing, like a whole tube of RTV - that's itemized on the parts bill. Covers the small consumables you can't charge for - like a squirt of PB Blaster or a couple zip ties.

Me

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Be thankful you’re able to do it yourself. Many can’t so have to pay.

Another question is who goes to a dealer for an oil change?
That. I change oil myself, then I know exactly what kind of oil goes in it.. And I sure wouldn't take it to any such place as a 'Jiffy Lube'... Way too many horror stories re: JL...

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by gregintenn
Some folks believe anything mechanical or electrical is pure magic and think the dealership is the only place to get it repaired.

I could have built my own house, but preferred to earn the money doing something I actually knew more about and paying a professional with that money.

Life is full of options. Personally, I prefer to work on our vehicles myself, but can understand why many people don’t.

Opposite for me.

I like working on houses.

Can't stand working on vehicles

Will gladly take my Ford to the dealership for the works package, oil change, tires rotated, etc. Hell yes, if there are bulbs out, go ahead and change them too.

Can I change oil? Yup.

Would I prefer to pay to have it done? Fugg yes

DON’T BE TOO PROUD OF THIS TECHNOLOGICAL TERROR YOU’VE CONSTRUCTED. THE ABILITY TO DESTROY A PLANET IS INSIGNIFICANT NEXT TO THE POWER OF THE FORCE.

- Darth Vader
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by Dinny
Originally Posted by 358Norma_fan
Originally Posted by Hastings
Stealerships have been doing that for as long as I can remember. That said, they do have their purpose. I call the parts dept anytime I need a part number to cross reference and buy somewhere else.

And I'll call you out as a first class A-hole.
Why?

Why do you think it's ok to make a parts guy look up all the part number for you when you have no intention of buying them? They're usually on commission and you're taking time away from them that they could be doing a job that actually pays.
I don't begrudge anyone for wanting to save money, but if that's your goal, then do your own dam work and figure out what you need yourself. Would you call a lawyer and expect him to give you free advice so you could represent yourself in your own trial? Or call a realtor to look over your house sale that you're doing yourself and not expect to pay them?

I wonder how many parts people I've put into the welfare system calling and talking to them for 5-10 minutes every few years. 🤣😂

Sure sign of a democrat. Wanting something for nothing.

IC B2

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Calvin
Stealerships have been doing that for as long as I can remember. That said, they do have their purpose. I call the parts dept anytime I need a part number to cross reference and buy somewhere else.

Why?

Why do you think it's ok to make a parts guy look up all the part number for you when you have no intention of buying them? They're usually on commission and you're taking time away from them that they could be doing a job that actually pays.
I don't begrudge anyone for wanting to save money, but if that's your goal, then do your own dam work and figure out what you need yourself. Would you call a lawyer and expect him to give you free advice so you could represent yourself in your own trial? Or call a realtor to look over your house sale that you're doing yourself and not expect to pay them?

I wonder how many parts people I've put into the welfare system calling and talking to them for 5-10 minutes every few years. 🤣😂

Sure sign of a democrat. Wanting something for nothing.

Never got any free advice? Here's some, gfy.

Medics bury their mistakes..
E
ERK Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
E
Did you add in the hourly rate for the trip you made to the parts store and time home again. Nope. Didn’t think so. A reputable dealer is good for everybody.
Like one guy said. Two bears and a cop stop and you could easily pay the dealership to change the bulb. Edk

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
To the smart guys in here bicthing about what it costs to fix a modern vehicle, i would love to see some of you diag and repair and actual issue on there cars. These things are so far above what the far majority of the public can do. The country has a serious shortage in folks who still wish to turn wrenches and things have become very specialized. Hey im always hiring good techs where i work if any of yall want to put your money where you mouth is lol

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Why?

We do NOT give out part numbers to the public. You would get nowhere here

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Wanted 39.95 to Clean (wash) the top of my battery last time I had it in for service.

Last edited by LouisB; 12/15/23.

Some spelling errors can be corrected by a vowel movement.
~ MOLON LABE ~
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ERK
Like one guy said. Two bears and a cop stop and you could easily pay the dealership to change the bulb.

As long as a guy had 2 bear tags I wouldn't think he'd get a fine.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by gunchamp
To the smart guys in here bicthing about what it costs to fix a modern vehicle, i would love to see some of you diag and repair and actual issue on there cars. These things are so far above what the far majority of the public can do. The country has a serious shortage in folks who still wish to turn wrenches and things have become very specialized. Hey im always hiring good techs where i work if any of yall want to put your money where you mouth is lol

Get a ladder, you’re on a high horse.

We’re not talking about splicing the wiring harness here, we’re changing a lightbulb. Changing oil. You know, stuff you learn n high school shop class. If you’re using the same guy to do oil changes as diagnosing an engine bus diagnostic, you’re doing it wrong.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
All this gee whiz stuff costs tons of money to fix if it breaks. Chevy still has problem with lights I suppose. Dealers are expensive.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You should give the dealership a tip since they had to tell you your light was out. Wonder how many people can’t figure that out on their own.

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E

Why?

When I was in parts, we'd occasionally swap the last 2 digits of the part number around for the freeloaders on the phone.....accidentally of course.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
People here are funny…

Griping about the charge for a lightbulb replacement like it exists in a vacuum.

Did he not have to purchase tools do do this repair? $$

Did he not have a shop to perform this repair? $$

Does he not pay rent/insurance/maintenance etc for this shop?$$

Is it ok if the mechanic actually makes any money to support his family?

She never made it past the bedroom door, what was she aiming for...?
She's gone shootin..
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by EMoore

Why?

When I was in parts, we'd occasionally swap the last 2 digits of the part number around for the freeloaders on the phone.....accidentally of course.
HAHA, thats actually pretty awesome!

T
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
T
Like everything else, a few crooked dealers and repair shops make everybody look bad and make customers question even legit repair charges.

Guess it's human nature. Ever get shorted at the butcher?

I had a vehicle with 40,000 miles. I performed all the manufacturer recommended oil changes, eng, tranny, transfer, axles, bearings, lube, filters, and changed something electrical that I dont' recall, but the computer needed reset.

Took it to the dealer, got reset after 2 hrs they present me with this compiled list that my vehicle needs for only $1000. Everything on the list I had just completed.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Dutch

Get a ladder, you’re on a high horse.

We’re not talking about splicing the wiring harness here, we’re changing a lightbulb. Changing oil. You know, stuff you learn n high school shop class. If you’re using the same guy to do oil changes as diagnosing an engine bus diagnostic, you’re doing it wrong.
No high horse here, its called reality. I understand what the worth is of a great technician. Im not talking changing light bulbs. Too many people bitch and moan on a daily basis about what this stuff costs. Its tiresome. Like I said, if its so easy, we wouldnt be scheduling out 2 months in our busy season

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by EMoore

Why?

I do it daily. But I usually juggle the numbers up even more so even I couldn't figure out what they want if they called me back.

"243/85TSX It's as if the HAMMER OF THOR were wielded by CHUCK NORRIS himself, and a roundhouse kick thrown in for good measure."
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

395 members (1minute, 1beaver_shooter, 1_deuce, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 1Longbow, 54 invisible), 2,715 guests, and 1,287 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,112
Posts18,483,411
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.