You're still not helping.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Interesting thread.

I’ve always read that the US government waged a war on bison in order to starve out the Indian’s. Rather they did that after the herds were severely reduced due to disease from domestic cattle, overgrazing by cattle, ranchers shooting them on site, Native Americans and whites having access to horses, barbed wire fencing, more modern weapons, a rapidly growing and westward population, or railways.

I have no idea what was the main factor or factors. I’m sure that it all played a part.

Given the need for wide open spaces to graze and inability to retreat to cover in the way that elk can along with western expansion and technology it’s no surprise that there days were numbered.

673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Hastings
Originally Posted by 673
The original estimates of how many Buffalo there were was likely way to high. I have never read anything pertaining to some sort of disease in any of the Fur trade journals I have read and have in my possession, so I doubt it, not saying it couldn't/didn't happen, I dont see any evidence from a primary source.
Well now, if there were only 20 million they would still produce at least 5 million calves a year. If the white and red hunters killed as many as they could handle how would they exterminate the bison on such a large range as the American mid-west and west. The pictures of piles of bones and skulls at rail yards were collected for years and the causes of death could have easily been disease.

The demise of the bison coincides with the introduction of the wild Texas cattle being driven north in the last half of the 1800s. The Texas cattle were almost surely what is known as immune carriers of tick fever.
I dont know what happened in texas, I said the geograpic area I'm talking about, but wouldn't this disease come north?
I am just saying I have never read anything, whatsoever about it from any primary sources, there is alot written about the disease in humans.
I and others think the estmates were to high to begin with.
Have bones been studied for disease?

I
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I
I didn't check your math but I don't see why the buffalo could not have been killed off by hunters. Many other large animals have been killed nearly to extinction by unregulated hunting. Examples include the grizzly bear in North America, tigers in India, and elephants and lions in Africa. Elk and buffalo were killed to extinction east of the Mississippi.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by TheLastLemming76
Interesting thread.

I’ve always read that the US government waged a war on bison in order to starve out the Indian’s. Rather they did that after the herds were severely reduced due to disease from domestic cattle, overgrazing by cattle, ranchers shooting them on site, Native Americans and whites having access to horses, barbed wire fencing, more modern weapons, a rapidly growing and westward population, railways.

I have no idea what was the main factor or factors were. I’m sure that it all played a part.
Then there is this^^^ this was a thing, the slaughter was real. There were no cattle grazing north of the 49th during the dwindling of the herds.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
How did this thread even start? By assuming that humans couldn't destroy something? Say that out loud. Oh no, humans could never destroy that! Humans can destroy anything and they totally killed all the buffalo. Only reason we haven't killed ourselves is because God doesn't want us to, yet.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Ringman
Originally Posted by smokepole
It's not math, it's simple arithmetic.

You're still not helping.

Sure I am. You just went through an arithmetic problem. I checked your numbers for you.

They're off.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 19352012
How did this thread even start? By assuming that humans couldn't destroy something? Say that out loud. Oh no, humans could never destroy that! Humans can destroy anything and they totally killed all the buffalo. Only reason we haven't killed ourselves is because God doesn't want us to, yet.

Happy camper?

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
So, what got the Passenger Pigeon? Likely even greater numbers.

1Minute
673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 19352012
Yeah.
This is what I meant in my first post when I said alot can be learned about the near extinction of the Buffalo herds and other game animals. It isn't any stretch when I say I and others in my part of the world have seen populations of Elk and Moose dwindle 75% in 20 years, and this is a so-called "managed resource" people are mistified as to what it could be lol. We know who and what the reasons are, its ridiculous.

IC B3

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Jesus

I am MAGA.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 1minute

Exactly.

Population expansion and the environmental changes that came with it. For some animals clearing out massive old growth pine forest was a huge benefit whitetail deer in MI for instance. For most critters it was a negative. Especially for the ones that require a specific niche environment or large tracts of land.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 1minute
And the Rocky Mountain Locust?

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
99.9% of species that have lived on this planet have gone extinct. Maybe a better question is why NOT the bison?

Yours in Liberty,

BL
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
WTF are you on???

If you’ve ever seen a buffalo on the prairie, they stick out enough to ensure their demise. Not hard to figure out.

Indians and settlers alike probably committing a good amount of wanton waste with no refrigeration and sub par tools.

Most probably just had the back straps cut out if that.

Then throw in the market hunters.

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Jesus

What’d he have against the buffs?

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by smokepole
Your math is wrong.

I thought it would be off. But like the first responder, you didn't help. In fact, while I wrote it I was hoping mathman might arrive and help.

One example.

If we give each buffalo ten (10) feet on each side and ten feet in front and behind, it possesses about 300 square feet.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Much to the chagrin of the anti-hunters, it was disease that was the main cause of the demise of the buffalo.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Brucellosis was probably a partial factor

One man with courage makes a majority....

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
TRex.

Once the Indians figured out how to saddle them, it was all over.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

553 members (007FJ, 1911a1, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 58 invisible), 2,613 guests, and 1,238 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,720
Posts18,514,214
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.