-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Stephen Ambrose in his book “CrazyHorse and Custer” makes the case to f how prolific the Indian pony was at that same time. Those pony herds adapted well to the plains, and Ambrose says that left unchecked the ponies might have eventually pushed out the buffalo.
In “Son Of The Morning Star”, Connell tells of Crow Indians killing thousands of Buff taking only the tongue and leaving the rest for the buzzards.
Indians living in harmony with nature is white man’s hogwash. Most Indians believed that the buff would never run out, no matter how many they killed, at least up until the mid 1870’s when the herds started to dwindle. He also tells of them chopping down grove of trees to get the nuts they produced. The Indians thought it was “the fishes and the loaves” and it would never end. If the whites hadn’t taken over, maybe the Indian population would’ve kept the balance!
I have often seen the plain’s stretch for miles and wondered what would go through the mind pat seeing the buffalo in numbers only God could count! How I’d have loved to see it!
Reon

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Longbob
They were killed for their wings.
They died from lacking wings.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Market hunters using large caliber muzzle loading rifles did have an impact, but widespread drought conditions in the west during the 1850's killed most of them.

It wasn't the 45-70 though. For one thing the 45-70 loads of the 1870's weren't powerful enough to be effective. I'm sure some the 45-70 accounted for a few, but the 22 Hornet has accounted for a few deer too. 45-70 was introduced in 1873, most of the bison were dead by then and laws banning bison hunting were passed in 1874 to protect the handful left.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Jmr a 405 gr 45-70 at 1200 fps will go thru a buffalo side to side and damn near thru them lengthwise.. the math on all the posts is bullcrap. Buffalo cows calve every other year. I've hunted buffalo / bison twice they are a unique animal with a distinct social order. When you shoot one and it finally goes down others will try to get it back up. While they are doing that you could put a pile of them on the ground. You shoot the lead cow and they will mill quite awhile that's how the hunters back then got a "stand". Wanton waste by native and white hunters played major cause in the quick demise of the herds. Disease from cattle.and environmental factors took there toll. Every year during spring runoff the Missouri River floated dead buffalo for weeks just from the ones that fell thru the the ice and drown. A lot of things contributed to the demise of the buffalo. The buffalo hunt ushered in the "industrial age". It was a Jew named Lowenstein who sent a couple hundred buffalo hides to Germany to see if they could be processed into good usable leather for belting . The kind of belts used to transfer power from the steam engine to rotating shafts to do lathe and mill work . Yeah a Jew doing the Jewish thing of making money just like the rest of the people working for a living back then . Damned few got rich from the hunt. The people who made the money were the end users just like today..mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Reading into history will lead one to distrust much popular conceptions, for example the old saw that White hunters wiped out the buffalo.

Catastrophic drought in Texas in the 1850’s drove some bands of Comanches to accept reservation life for a period of time. Before and after that event those skinny long-horned North African feral cattle originally brung in by the Spanish were increasing rapidly and spreading Texas fever, anthrax and brucellosis.

Feral cattle became common enough in Texas that when Kit Carson went against the Comanches and Kiowas in the1863 First Battle of Adobe Walls he found the Indian Camps accompanied by droves of cattle. Another thing forbidden in pop history.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Different things...

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I thought it was global warming.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Those extremely high bison population estimates were also likely an exception rather than the rule. Disease thinning the numbers of Native Americans could have led to an population explosion with the bison. Charles Kay's Aboriginal Overkill hypothesis spells this out.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 1minute
So, what got the Passenger Pigeon? Likely even greater numbers.
Hunting did kill off the pigeons but the methods were far different that with the buffalo. Pigeons would roost and nest in vast 'swarms' of millions at favored nesting sites. Hunters learned that the birds would return to those roosts at dusk so they started hanging out around them to shoot birds as they returned from the day's feeding. The birds quickly abandoned the nesting sites for new ones and hunters just as quickly found and haunted the new sites. The birds were never given a chance to nest. An entire generation of chicks was lost, and the next and the next. The pigeons had a fairly long life span but only laid 1 egg at a time. The bird population crashed almost overnight. Within a very short time, the population dropped from billions to only a handful and on to extinction.

A few years ago, some researchers were looking at ways to collect viable DNA from dried pigeon skins to try to resurrect the species by using band-tailed pigeons, the passengers' closest living relative. I haven't heard anything about it in a long time and don't know if the work's still going on or not. Maybe they have a colony of man-eating pigeons on an island off Costa Rica.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by pointer
Those extremely high bison population estimates were also likely an exception rather than the rule. Disease thinning the numbers of Native Americans could have led to an population explosion with the bison. Charles Kay's Aboriginal Overkill hypothesis spells this out.

Nobody knows how many bison there were, anymore than they know the age of the earth.

Simply guesses with lots of opinion and agenda added.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A question that concerns me is the amount of methane contributing to global warming caused by all the buffalo. How can cattle numbers now, which certainly number fewer than the buffalo numbers be a cause for increasing methane? Wouldn’t the methane numbers be less now than then due to fewer cows when compared to buffalo numbers? I know there are other causes of methane. I am just talking about the so- called negative effect upon our environment caused by raising cattle.

Rolly
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Ringman
BigDave39355,

What an assertion. I spent several hours looking up info and writing that.

I will accept your apology.
Fouck Off

Pos

Happy Camper can come console your feelings.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Rolly
How can cattle numbers now, which certainly number fewer than the buffalo numbers.......

Your math is worse than ringman's.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Originally Posted by pointer

Nobody knows how many bison there were, anymore than they know the age of the earth.

Simply guesses with lots of opinion and agenda added.
Estimates of the population of plains Indians say that there were less than 100k people across the entire plains region of the US and Canada. Some estimates are far lower than that. There weren't enough of them to make much of a dent in buffalo numbers.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
If any of you watched the recent PBS special on the American Buffalo you would have a better understanding of why they almost became extinct.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Snowwolfe
If any of you watched the recent PBS special on the American Buffalo you would have a better understanding of why they almost became extinct.

Yeah, PBS has no agenda. Right?

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Originally Posted by Snowwolfe

Yeah, PBS has no agenda. Right?

IMO, not when it came to reporting on the demise of the Buffalo. Watch the series then come back and tell us your opinion.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 673
Then there is this^^^ this was a thing, the slaughter was real. There were no cattle grazing north of the 49th during the dwindling of the herds.
Once the disease was introduced it ran past its introduction area just the same as did smallpox in the native American Indian population, Lewis and Clark found Indian populations decimated by smallpox. Populations that had not yet had contact with the white man but had been exposed by Indians that had.

Disease can easily outrun its point of origin.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
Originally Posted by smokepole
Your math is wrong.

I thought it would be off. But like the first responder, you didn't help. In fact, while I wrote it I was hoping mathman might arrive and help.

One example.

If we give each buffalo ten (10) feet on each side and ten feet in front and behind, it possesses about 300 square feet.

"If we give each buffalo ten (10) feet on each side and ten feet in front and behind"
While that is a lot of words to describe "a ten foot radius" the math is essentially correct - 314...square feet is "about 300 square feet" for discussion purposes.
This answer is neither pro nor con to the OPs hypothesis, just a defense of a statement being incorrectly contested.

Now y'all enjoy your arguments.
Rex

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by TRexF16
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
Originally Posted by smokepole
Your math is wrong.

I thought it would be off. But like the first responder, you didn't help. In fact, while I wrote it I was hoping mathman might arrive and help.

One example.

If we give each buffalo ten (10) feet on each side and ten feet in front and behind, it possesses about 300 square feet.

"If we give each buffalo ten (10) feet on each side and ten feet in front and behind"
While that is a lot of words to describe "a ten foot radius" the math is essentially correct - 314...square feet is "about 300 square feet" for discussion purposes.
This answer is neither pro nor con to the OPs hypothesis, just a defense of a statement being incorrectly contested.

Now y'all enjoy your arguments.
Rex

Are you mathman's sock puppet?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

238 members (12344mag, 257 mag, 10Glocks, 1badf350, 01Foreman400, 16penny, 23 invisible), 1,822 guests, and 922 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,652
Posts18,512,756
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.