Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Wow, great gift!

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
GB1

M
memtb Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Thanks again all, I came downstairs this morning to make sure it wasn’t a dream!

I’m still convoluted as to whether or not to use it. I made the mistake (or was it) to be at an estate sale with daughter and sil where a bunch of nib Henry’s and Freedom Arms were being sold. I talked about the quality of the FA firearms and my love for the Linebaugh cartridges. I guess they were listening more than I thought.

As I mentioned last night, they’ll get it back when I kneel-over, and I’d like it to retain it’s greatest value. Plus, I already from a 460 S&W for hunting and backwoods strolls!

On the subject of reloading, I use WW296 (same as H 110) in my 460 …..so that’s covered. I did spend a few minutes last night on the Accurate Molds website…..just in case I cave to my desires! 🙂 memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
That is a good looking gun, and they are made to shoot. Get after it!

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Very Nice!

Better put it to lots of use. That is what would make me happy if I gave someone something like that. Years ago, I gave my dad a set of Swarovski binoculars for father day because I knew he would never buy a set for himself, and he was an avid outdoorsman. To his credit, those binos have a lot of edge wear on the body from being worn for many hours. Exactly as intended.

So go out and use your gift and enjoy it. They don't have to be full throttle loads. You can build some squirrel loads for it, but just go shoot it and enjoy.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
You are one lucky guy! By all means, do some handloading and go shoot it. I still own, and shoot, the FA .454 Casull that I bought almost 40 years ago, and it functions as good as the day I bought it, after thousands of rounds fired. I have a 475 Linebaugh BFR, that I have worked up some moderate loads for. A 410 gr. hardcast bullet at 1100 fps or so will do anything and everything you want the Linebaugh to do, without the heavy recoil of full power loads. I am also working up a load using a Montana Bullet 330 gr. hardcast bullet for use on deer-sized game. I have found IMR 4227 to be a good powder choice for moderate power loads, and it is readily available.

If you do decide to handload for it, better get started on the hunt for bullets, brass, and primers, all of which are scarce right now.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
Man that’s impressive. Do you plan to shoot it occasionally or keep it in the safe? If I gave someone a gift like that I think I would hope they shot it at least a bit.

If they ever remake “Dirty Harry” they should replace the model 29 in the “do you feel lucky?” scene with this. Of course they would have to make some other changes in that scene as well.

M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
I’ve read multiple warnings about ‘Lil Gun and if FA is even saying not to use it that must mean to take it seriously. I guess its burn rate is just too slow for handguns and that causes excessive after burning?

I bought a pound of it earlier this year when my LGS didn’t have any other handgun powders. I guess I need to find someone who reloads for shotguns to give it to.

M
memtb Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by McInnis
I’ve read multiple warnings about ‘Lil Gun and if FA is even saying not to use it that must mean to take it seriously. I guess its burn rate is just too slow for handguns and that causes excessive after burning?

I bought a pound of it earlier this year when my LGS didn’t have any other handgun powders. I guess I need to find someone who reloads for shotguns to give it to.

I have a poor memory, and really didn’t study LilGun much after hearing about the “flame cutting”…..but, I thought that it was something to do with flame temperatures.

Perhaps someone that has researched it could enlighten us! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by McInnis

It works great in the 450 Bushmaster - Let me know if you want to part with it. I'm in Clark

Shoot it, or else they will think you didn't appreciate it. There is "0" value to it unless you plan on selling it. Once they get it back, they will keep it because of the story that goes with it. If you don't shoot it- they will think that you didn't like it.

Some is Good---More is Better----Too Much is Just Right
M
memtb Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
I hadn’t considered that…..another page in the book of conundrums! 🤔 memtb

IC B3

N
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
N
I guess they don’t hate you, huh?
They are really art pieces that perform too..😊

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by tankerjockey
Hell of a Christmas present!
Got THAT right! Those revolvers are OUTstanding! smile

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
You racked up!

Bangflop! another skinning job due to .260 and proper shot placement.
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Memtb: Good for you on the Happy Birthday and early Christmas gift!
Very thoughtful of your loved ones.
Good job you've obviously done.
Enjoy.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

M
memtb Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
I did try, but not deserving of a gift of this magnitude! memtb

M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
Do you ever come into Cody? I’m just off the Belfry Hwy north of town. Next time you’re this way let me know and that Lil Gun will be yours.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
That story hits home with me. Not trying to step on your wonderful experience but my Wife did the same to me two days before my 50th birthday. I had been over to Riley’s Gun Shop in NH two days before since they were my go-to shop and I was good friends with the now deceased manager. I spotted a nice Freedom Arms 83 454 with a fitted spare cylinder in 45 Colt. I wanted it but I always ran my gun deals by my Wife as we are partners in everything. She gave me the green light so when I got free of my job the next day I drove to the shop. I asked for Denver, the mgr, and told him I wanted that gorgeous revolver. I was pumped like a high school kid with a date that had hinges on her heels. Then he told me the words us guys never want to hear, “ IT’s SOLD “. It wasn’t even under the counter anymore so I drove home totally bummed out.

Well next night I was flying out for a two to three month job in Bahrain and Dubai to repair a couple of wooden MSO Minesweepers that were very busy neutralizing Iranian mines in the Persian Gulf. I wasn’t going to be home for my birthday so after an early supper my Wife hands me a wrapped box inside a bigger box with a Happy Birthday. So what is this I’m thinking. I opened it to find the FA 83 and bagged Colt cylinder. My mind could not connect the dots then in a flash I realized it was the same gun ! My Wife was laughing then told me the story.

She had just flown back from NY and went straight to Riley’s. She asked for Denver and told him she was Rick’s Wife. His first response was ‘ I haven’t seen him he hasn’t been around honestly ‘. She explained the scheme and according to her by now three or four of the shop’s crew were standing around chuckling. They were amazed somebody’s Wife would do this and convinced that Rick sure has a great Wife. They actually couldn’t believe a guy was so lucky. Fact was they talked about this for weeks. I’ve never ever been blind sided and so happy in my life..

Rick

Last edited by Woodpecker; 12/17/23.
M
memtb Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Great story……..and a great wife! Congratulations on both the wife and the handgun! memtb

R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
FA makes one more fine, precision made revolver. No matter where you go, you are always well dressed with a FA.

“To expect defeat is nine-tenths of defeat itself. It becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. It is best to plan for all eventualities then believe in success, and only cross the failure bridge if you come to it."
Francis Marion - The Swamp Fox
M
memtb Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Obviously, I’m still “straddling the fence” a bit…..but, if I put this to good use, what do y’all think of this as a bullet for those little strolls out in the country? memtb

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

487 members (12344mag, 219 Wasp, 06hunter59, 1badf350, 257 roberts, 2500HD, 49 invisible), 1,964 guests, and 1,238 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,035
Posts18,520,955
Members74,023
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.