Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 22 1 2 3 4 5 21 22
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by beretzs
Originally Posted by hookeye
Do what ya want, just expect some dumbazz to find fault with it.

No matter what ya do.

That's worth buying you a beer..

Seems to me, most of the folks screaming about LR or dialing or what have you don't kill much either way, not the majority, but they spend more time reading about shooting or hunting than actually doing it..

Bingo!

Too close for irons, switching to scope...
GB1

X
Xspurt Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
X
Man! - did my observation separate the hunters from the shooters! When animals stop moving, winds stop blowing, and everyone can hit as well at whatever "long range" is under field conditions then it might become ethical to shoot at long range like we see marketed today....but not before. Don't be a wannabe hunter and take it out on big game because for whatever reason you can't be a real hunter....because you are not. And unless you change your entire attitude never will be.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Xspurt
Man! - did my observation separate the hunters from the shooters! When animals stop moving, winds stop blowing, and everyone can hit as well at whatever "long range" is under field conditions then it might become ethical to shoot at long range like we see marketed today....but not before. Don't be a wannabe hunter and take it out on big game because for whatever reason you can't be a real hunter....because you are not. And unless you change your entire attitude never will be.

Yeah...You sure did separate the the two groups so well... grin
It is exactly what this group needed cool

Ernie "The Un-Tactical"

[Linked Image]
http://sebrests-usa.com/
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S

Ethics ? lol

Your brand of ethics are your creation of a weak excuse to explain away why you are incapable of accurate fire beyond a few hundred yards, because you lack the ability & skill, you attack those who do.

It's not "ethics" you are squawking about, it's just a Karenesque tantrum directed towards those better than you

Your self created halo doesn't extend beyond your own stench, remember that

the day you "hunt" down an animal and take it down with your claws & teeth is the day you will be a "real hunter"

Shoot it with a rifle at close range ? well you fkn shot it, same as the guy at long range

the only difference is ... the long range hunter is better than you

"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants".
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A friend shot a stag at 750 yards, 368 score, in Kazakhstan. Should be #10 in the record books for Maral Stag.

He worked his butt off hunting, and was able to make a long shot when the time came.

Hunting sometimes involves long range shooting. To say it’s not hunting if the shots are long is worse than simplistic.

It shows you’ve never been too far away from a house, or a cabin or a farm. Real hunting, in my thinking, involves boats, or horses, or airplanes and backpacks and tents and small wood stoves.

I suspect you’ve never been hunting out away from civilization.

It's called long range hunting. Nuthin about huntin all about shootin. Get it right.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
IC B2

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Wonder how many of us have had to use up our tag to put down an animal found wounded.

Two for me, both deer. Should have dropped a third but wanted to keep hunting ... bad excuse.

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by outahere
Wonder how many of us have had to use up our tag to put down an animal found wounded.

Two for me, both deer. Should have dropped a third but wanted to keep hunting ... bad excuse.

Could have been from a lousy shot at 50 yards .Painting with a wide brush there.

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by outahere

Believe it or not, there are actually some people out there that can shoot. This animals could have been wounded at 50 yards, who knows. It just takes the right equipment and practice. Know your equipment and it can .ake thongs go smoothly. Alot of people buy the stuff, but don't know what they are doing when behind the lugs. You have to regularly shoot at those ranges to be effective. The one hail mary on the last day isn't long range hunting. That's just shooting at stuff a long ways away.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

No matter what ya do.

Seems to me, most of the folks screaming about LR or dialing or what have you don't kill much either way, not the majority, but they spend more time reading about shooting or hunting than actually doing it..

It has been a while but I vividly remember a thread on this board where one guy said that archery hunting should be outlawed because it is easier to wound a critter with a bow and another said rifle hunting should be outlawed because 100 yard shots are too easy and not sporting.

I do not recall the thread subject but these were two absolutely unrelated comments in the same thread.

As the world turns...

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Swamplord

Ethics ? lol

Your brand of ethics are your creation of a weak excuse to explain away why you are incapable of accurate fire beyond a few hundred yards, because you lack the ability & skill, you attack those who do.

It's not "ethics" you are squawking about, it's just a Karenesque tantrum directed towards those better than you

Your self created halo doesn't extend beyond your own stench, remember that

the day you "hunt" down an animal and take it down with your claws & teeth is the day you will be a "real hunter"

Shoot it with a rifle at close range ? well you fkn shot it, same as the guy at long range

the only difference is ... the long range hunter is better than you

No one said they couldn't hit at 500 yards but once you get past 450 yards guessing the wind gets interesting. Plus that wind in all likelihood is not going to be blowing evenly for said 500 yards. 1 mph is worth 1.8 inches at 500 yards. If you can gauge wind inside 4 mph on the Wyoming sage flats grazed low by sheep then yes you possess a skill I don't. The reality is that in good conditions 500 yards isn't a tough shot. If anyone is blowing BS it's you. Defensive stupid BS because you know shooting elk and other medium game at 700 yards is unethical. And why do it? Too pitiful to wait for a better shot or make one happen?

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

IC B3

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I havent been to a public shooting range in a very long time. The guys rapid firing an SKS and think they impressing everyone. Guys with magnum rifles that bought them because one of their friends owns one. Snipers that just got back from Iraq and have 20 confirmed kills, most of these guys are less than 21 years old, overweight, and are wearing desert BDUs.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rickt300
No one said they couldn't hit at 500 yards but once you get past 450 yards guessing the wind gets interesting. Plus that wind in all likelihood is not going to be blowing evenly for said 500 yards. 1 mph is worth 1.8 inches at 500 yards. If you can gauge wind inside 4 mph on the Wyoming sage flats grazed low by sheep then yes you possess a skill I don't. The reality is that in good conditions 500 yards isn't a tough shot. If anyone is blowing BS it's you. Defensive stupid BS because you know shooting elk and other medium game at 700 yards is unethical. And why do it? Too pitiful to wait for a better shot or make one happen?

Lots to unpack here.

First off is that SwampLadyBio is a poser. She does not shoot game, much less game at distance. She is simply full of shit.

Next thing is being able to precisly place a shot under real world conditions is the skill of a Master Hunter.

Many times the distance is less than 100yds, the game maybe moving, and time is critically short. Such shooting is very difficult and to do it well requires a Master who devotes hours to developing his markmanship skillz.

At other times the distance is long. The time crunch might still be there. The Master can precisely place the shot or even better walk away when the shot won't come together.

Close or far the Master Hunter will land the shot under pressure or will hold off because there was no shot. The Duffer will blast away.

The difference is many excuse the Duffer blasting away up close because that's all they know.

Good for you that you acknowledge you wind reading is lacking. Reading the wind is a skill that takes time and effort to improve. But it can be done.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
Interesting thing I've noticed just looking at things. A guy can blast a doe at 100yd with a 300 win mag out of a box stand he's been sitting in eating Debbie cakes playing on his phone with a heater ,watch her run 100yd before dropping ( or just watch her run off then give her 30min to an hour to "lay up") and a majority of people will say HELL YEAH THATS SOME REAL HUNTING!

but then you get the guy with a good rifle ,hand loads ,who practices their butt off ( eveyone I've talked to who's serious about long range practices way more then the average hunter, non of this proud to only shoot 20rd a year bs )go's up in the hill or what have you bust butt hiking and glassing then is able to dial in and make a shot with a 6mm whatever and bang flops a elk or something at 600yd , critter never takes more then a few steps and just keels over dead . The same people who think the first scenario is perfectly fine get out raged at the second then want to cry ethics? I don't get it.

Also it's really weird to me when I hear people talk about animals getting wounded at distance which yeah will eventually happen ,but when some jack wagon guy shoots a deer @50yd with his savage axis or bow it's just " what can you do stuff happens just go get the dogs least we can get the head possibly"

Honestly if you wanna get on a high horse of "real hunting" I mean if your able to get so close to these animals like so many people like to talk " getting within knife fighting range "and all that about but your not just taking a head shot , because you know ethics, that's the most painless human shot you can make on an animal at such "proper " hunting distances shouldn't be hard at all , I mean how can you really call yourself an ethical or real hunter ?

Heck if you not making your own bow and arrows creeping around in buck skin you brain tanned yourt....yeah see how that sounds ?

As someone who's trying to get into longer distance hunting ( for me that's like 600yd max due to terrain )I'll tell you plain and simple most people just pain arnt willing to actually go in as deep as they need to from an education, practice or monetary stand point or be humble enough to understand they don't know jack [bleep] so they just spout random BS about ethics and "real hunting" . And half the times it's just plain because they can't do it ,either because they don't have the equipment, know how ect

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Long distance shooting and and long distance hunting are two complete different things.

In my opinion it is generally not necessary to take long shots and ridiculous to do so just to do so on live game.

If one has the skill and equipment, and puts in the time to create repeatable results, well more power to you.

To encourage everyone to hunt that way and or criticize someone that prefers to stalk is just a bunch of egotistical BS.

For those without thumbs, it's s Garden fookin Island, not Hawaii
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Those that are successful at long range, be it paper targets, steel targets, or live game, are the ones who have made a commitment to it. They are not your average shooter, or your average hunter.

They are the ones who put together the rifle that will do the job, use an optic that will do the job, and put together a load that will do the job. They are the ones who agonize over the details that the average hunter gleefully declares as unnecessary, because it's just a hunting rifle, it's just a hunting scope, it's just a hunting load.

They are not the ones who leave their rifles in the safe for 50 weeks out of the year, untouched. They are the ones out shooting during the off season, making sure their shi t will do the job, instead of hold up on the internet pontificating about what someone else's "ethics" should be.

Long range anything, obviously isn't for everyone, and especially isn't for the average shooter/hunter.

I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children may live in peace. ~~ Thomas Paine
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by T_Inman

No matter what ya do.

It has been a while but I vividly remember a thread on this board where one guy said that archery hunting should be outlawed because it is easier to wound a critter with a bow and another said rifle hunting should be outlawed because 100 yard shots are too easy and not sporting.

I do not recall the thread subject but these were two absolutely unrelated comments in the same thread.

As the world turns...

For sure Ted. I think it's awesome when other folks push their ideals onto others. We totally come unglued when the political system does it, but somehow folks think it is totally legit to do it in regards to how people legally decide to fill their freezers.

Semper Fi
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I’ve invested a lot of time, money and effort in my rifle system, reloading equipment, materials and techniques to achieve the most repeatable results possible. That said I admit that I don’t have near enough trigger time in windy conditions to even attempt shooting at game. Distance yes. Wind no. I’ll be the first to admit that and am totally fine with it.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by woodson
I’ve invested a lot of time, money and effort in my rifle system, reloading equipment, materials and techniques to achieve the most repeatable results possible. That said I admit that I don’t have near enough trigger time in windy conditions to even attempt shooting at game. Distance yes. Wind no. I’ll be the first to admit that and am totally fine with it.

There are places on this earth where wind is a constant problem. Fortunately, I don't live there. I've always found it pretty darn easy to decide if a certain day is just too windy for anything long range, and to hunt a different way on those days.

I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children may live in peace. ~~ Thomas Paine
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I understand that there are lots of people who think it is unethical or lazy to shoot game further away than 300 yards. I will never understand why those people read threads or post in the long range hunting forum.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Long range to me is putting a 50 RB fueled by BP into a deers boiler room at 100 yds. I won't hardly shoot at anything further because of my eyes and age related shakiness.

Page 3 of 22 1 2 3 4 5 21 22

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

574 members (1936M71, 160user, 1minute, 222Sako, 1Longbow, 1beaver_shooter, 63 invisible), 2,425 guests, and 1,416 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,168
Posts18,484,544
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.