Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by gregintenn
I'm not yet convinced that powder weight consistency produces more accurate ammo than powder volume consistency. In other words, it seems that rounds loaded by simply throwing powder charges from the powder measure are at least as accurate and consistent as loads trickled up to a common weight. I need to do a LOT more shooting to prove this out for sure though.
just go talk to benchrest shooters. they've been doing it a long time..... no research needed

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I also drop slightly under and trickle to the target .

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by Al_Nyhus
With the Redding measures, they drop on the upstroke and fill in the down position.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Not if you reverse the operating lever like I have on mine.

Mathew 22: 37-39

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by rost495
I'm not yet convinced that powder weight consistency produces more accurate ammo than powder volume consistency. In other words, it seems that rounds loaded by simply throwing powder charges from the powder measure are at least as accurate and consistent as loads trickled up to a common weight. I need to do a LOT more shooting to prove this out for sure though.
just go talk to benchrest shooters. they've been doing it a long time..... no research needed

I haven't followed what goes on in the world of benchrest for quite some time, but I seem to recall that there was a period of time when charging by volume was finding more favor with the BR crowd than by weight. If I had to guess, I'd say in the early to mid-80s. Whether that is still the case I can't say.

Mathew 22: 37-39

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by rost495
What are your thoughts on it?

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
While I do tend to use short stick powders and ball powders to maximize consistency with my old Redding measure, I agree with gregintenn.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have an MVA, a Harrel. And an old Lyman55.
All are capable of throwing accurately enough so I can shoot Vbulls at 800 eith Varget if I am consistent in the way I throw the charge .
I don't worry too much about weighing my charges because the wind call makes a much greater difference when it comes to scoring 15 rounds well.
Cat

scopes are cool, but slings 'n' irons RULE!
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yep!

Plus, measuring charges is much faster for loading larger amounts of ammo than all but the most expensive electronic measures/scales.

Don't know how many times handloaders have claimed that they "save" time with typical e-measures/scales by seating a bullet while the next charge is being measured. Did some time/motion studies years ago, when I was loading and shooting around 8000 rounds a year, and a good mechanical measure won by a large margin....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Al_Nyhus
With the Redding measures, they drop on the upstroke and fill in the down position. I picked up some consistency with my 3BR by adding a spring loaded ball and detent to the drum that keeps it in the 'dump' (up) position rather than having it come back down. Has helped several other 3BR's and BR30's that I've done this to.

As far as measures, this is the best I've ever owned. After a little tweaking they are really good.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

What type of tweaking is required with the B&M?

Adventure is the only thing you buy that makes you richer
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
i grew up with an uncle named Stanley Peterson and a very good friend Johnny Bell who i hunted and fished with, both worked together at Federal Cartridge uncle was an engineer , mechanical . Jonny was a manager, engineer ,machinist both work there over 35 years both knew plenty about reloading and powder. the way i was explained too is powder does not weigh exact but it comes out closer by volume loading they did plenty testing at Federal. also when i bench rest shot against some very good shooters most used a Harrel powder measure and some of us used Redding BR powder measures , no one at these matches ever weighed powder. Pete53

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
IC B3

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

180 members (257_X_50, 1_deuce, 35WhelenNut, 450yukon, 10gaugemag, 338reddog, 24 invisible), 2,858 guests, and 930 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,643
Posts18,533,642
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.