Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10
L
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by beretzs
Kinda cool they're 8.5 twist on the 7-08's though.

Nice, my only gripe is these rifles (first gen RAR) feed like schidt. They shoot well though. Have they done anything about how they feed? If not, I'm not buying. I'll let my buddies buy them and I get to test the accuracy out on them.
I have done a few conversions to the AR type mags well I guess that's not true anything I've got with ar type mags came with ar type mags. and they all do fine for me. and I've converted a few including 22-250 to the AI type magazine and bought a Magpul version for creedmoor and they would feed with four in the magazine but not with five. but now I believe it's MDT has came out with a specialty mag for 22-250.. and it's like some of the other MDT mags of a kind of a specialty in the AI style kind of like for a Grendel or 6ARC they're kind of pricey about 80 bucks a piece but I have great faith in them working well..

HR IC

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Guess I was just lucky. All of mine feed fine. Rotary, AI or AR style mags, zero feeding issues.

L
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by stratton
Guess I was just lucky. All of mine feed fine. Rotary, AI or AR style mags, zero feeding issues.
rotary mags the 243 and a 22-250 where the worst for me..

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
They redesigned the AI mag latch assembly. Dont have to remove the latch in order to take the rifle apart. Also, the bolt knob is threaded on, makes it easier to install a different knob. I watched the disassembly & assembly videos on rugers site, I bet that gen I and gen II stocks interchange.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I’d like to see the Grendel take the mini-thirty mags like the 7.62x39 version. Not a fan of that long mag sticking out, but I’ll be tempted to get one for sure.

The expert at anything was once a beginner.

JC
IC B2

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by ldholton

Nice, my only gripe is these rifles (first gen RAR) feed like schidt. They shoot well though. Have they done anything about how they feed? If not, I'm not buying. I'll let my buddies buy them and I get to test the accuracy out on them.
I have done a few conversions to the AR type mags well I guess that's not true anything I've got with ar type mags came with ar type mags. and they all do fine for me. and I've converted a few including 22-250 to the AI type magazine and bought a Magpul version for creedmoor and they would feed with four in the magazine but not with five. but now I believe it's MDT has came out with a specialty mag for 22-250.. and it's like some of the other MDT mags of a kind of a specialty in the AI style kind of like for a Grendel or 6ARC they're kind of pricey about 80 bucks a piece but I have great faith in them working well..

Sorry if I’m misunderstanding. So you can convert say a 223 from ar type magazines to AI type magazines? That would be great if so.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
If I wanted a Ruger American, that rifle would stay in the store. For shooting it might fit someone's bill. If it's awkward to carry they are a no go for me, and that looks very awkward, mag hanging down, rail instead of basic mounts, and the bipod, are all turn offs! Everyone has their likes, so many will buy it ( it's got tbe tactical look). I do like tbe barrel.

Last edited by Heym06; 12/18/23.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Kaleb

Sorry if I’m misunderstanding. So you can convert say a 223 from ar type magazines to AI type magazines? That would be great if so.
Yes, at least on the Gen 1.5 stock (with modular bottom metal).

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I might try the 6.5 Grendel

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
My kid wants to get a 350 legend and just showed him this and now he wants one. Might have to check out the 400 before committing though.

IC B3

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
What an ugly load of crap. Their whole new product page is all garbage. The only guns that look decent are the 75th anniversary 10-22 and MKIV.

Looks like they already phased out the standard American model too. Ranch still show up, but not for long.

Who are their designers? When Boddington was there he screwed up the 77. That was nice compared to this crap.

Well, it makes Winchester, Savage, and Franchi happy. They will be getting more buyers.

L
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by Kaleb

yes you just then have to buy AI style magazines made for 223 ammo I've got several MDT brand

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

That's good info. My buddy has 4 of the RAR Ranch rifles, and the 6.5 Grendel is the worst feeding of the bunch. It came with an aluminum mag, and it's terrible. We tried other mags, like the Pmags, and they fed a little better, but still not the smoothest. Those MDT mags sound spendy.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
L
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
L

That's good info. My buddy has 4 of the RAR Ranch rifles, and the 6.5 Grendel is the worst feeding of the bunch. It came with an aluminum mag, and it's terrible. We tried other mags, like the Pmags, and they fed a little better, but still not the smoothest. Those MDT mags sound spendy.

I never seen a 6.5 Grendel coming anything but an AR mag. but if doing a conversion job Ruger will tell you the bolt should have the flat spot milled out for the conversion..
I've done some conversion and other chamberings that Ruger told me probably wouldn't work good but it did that were not mailed out that might be something to keep in mind I guess

Last edited by ldholton; 12/18/23.
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Looks like a Weatherby Vanguard got drunk and knocked up a Ruger.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Does the mag release on the standard release the mag with forward or rearward motion?

L
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by hookeye
Looks like a Weatherby Vanguard got drunk and knocked up a Ruger.
there could be worse pairs

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I'm not seeing any left-hand models. Guess I'll just buy another Tikka.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Good lowered......

That thing is an abomination.......

Just a spiral bolt short of a royal flush........no aesthetic gimmick left behind....

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
I can’t believe I’m about to say this, but I think the Gen 1 stock looks better than this.

I think that the 3 position safety is a good thing. I wrote to Ruger about 5 or 6 years ago and asked for this. Looks like they are finally making the enhancement, as I know it was a pain point for many.

Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

85 members (35, 444Matt, Akhutr, 7mm_Loco, 1_deuce, 338reddog, 8 invisible), 1,514 guests, and 785 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,368
Posts18,488,303
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.