Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 11 1 2 3 4 10 11
H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
I like every new cartridge as I hope each one results in another voter who sees the Democrat party as anti gun, thus voting against that party at every election. That said, I'm old and prefer the standard cartridges still popular today such as 243. 270win, 308win, and 30-06. While I've owned a 6.5 Creedmoor, I gave it to one of my SILs. Ymmv.

GB1

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by centershot
I have really been enjoying some of the new offerings. The 6.5 Creedmoor is a fantastic round. Fun to shoot, accurate, easy to load for, low recoil, etc. The 6 ARC seems to be of the same vein - light recoil, optimized for longer sleeker bullets, accurate, etc. I fully understand that they overlap existing cartridges (some wildcats) but the idea of standardizing the round, being able to purchase ammo or components (brass) without making it or needing special reamers, or custom guns is very appealing to me. I'd never get around to owning a 6 Dasher or 6 PPC, but a 6ARC off the shelf followed me home a couple weeks ago. There is a plethora of others that don't really do anything new. But, they are more efficient in case size/shape and are chambered and twisted for longer high BC bullets. Good ideas? You like them or are you good with the old standbys? What say you?

The 6.5 Creedmoor gave me a 6.5 that didn't have the pressur, case head and age issues of the 6.5x55. Nice job. The ideais a goodoneforthe users of older cartridges hapered by older firearms.

They could do another cartridge similar to the '06 but with similar mods. That would solve some minor issues with it. It might even gain a usable 150fps+- in muzle velocity.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
^ I think they call that one the 300PRC

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Define "modernized". I've been an experimenter for much of the last 40 years & have owned or had friends who owned a whole lotta odd, but useful, stuff. For pure short range group shooting there's still not much can equal the PPCs. There seems to have been some advances in longer range stuff. Everybody want to be a sniper nowadays. Not sure how much is fluff, skill, luck, or actual advances anymore.

Modern? What's old becomes new again. A new 30 Nosler might be fun, but wait... What about the 30 Newton from over 100 years ago with modern powders? There were some wildcats based on the 404 Jeffery going back to soon after the Jeffery was introduced. WSM? Why? about the same case capacity & performance as Ackley Imp 06 based cases. WSSM? WTF for? SAUM? Sounds like a contradiction in terms. Jumbo shrimp? Howzabout a 6 Creedmoor? Look up the 6mm International. There were also the Ackley & RCBS improved versions of this cartridge. How much difference is there between a 28* to a 30* to a 40* shoulder all else being equal? I cant shoot the difference. I doubt that you can either. Damned little new under the sun.

The throat geometry of these newer "wunder" rounds seems to be somewhat of an improvement, but the same can be done with the older more available cases. Production bullets seem to be much better than 30 years ago too.

I guess whatever it takes to keep the gunmaker factory's doors open is OK, but I dont feel the need to participate. It's good when new "must have" stuff comes out. I get to buy your old stuff cheap so you all can have the latest & greatest. Send another 257 Roberts my way. Hell, ya cant get brass for it anymore anyway. That 06 will be a good donor for my next project. Should I shoot it? Sold my unimpressive Creedmore & snagged a 338 Federal to mess around with. Almost as much fun as a 358 Winchester... same thing, only different. Just some more things to keep me out of (serious) trouble & a smile on my face.

Sacred cows make good burgers when you know what temperature to cook them at.-Rev. Billy
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by 358WCF
What's old becomes new again. A new 30 Nosler might be fun, but wait... What about the 30 Newton from over 100 years ago with modern powders? There were some wildcats based on the 404 Jeffery going back to soon after the Jeffery was introduced. WSM? Why? about the same case capacity & performance as Ackley Imp 06 based cases. WSSM?

The throat geometry of these newer "wunder" rounds seems to be somewhat of an improvement, but the same can be done with the older more available cases. Production bullets seem to be much better than 30 years ago too.

Actually no, the .300 WSM does NOT "have about the same case capacity & performance as Ackley Imp 06 based cases." Unless, of course, like many handloaders you load according to traditional "pressure signs"--which have been proven in pressure-lab tests to generally not show up until around 70,000 PSI.

In reality the .300 WSM has just about the same powder capacity as the .300 H&H, which is a fine cartridge despite the belt and sloping shoulder. With the same powder charges and bullets both will produce just about exactly the same pressures and velocities--which was demonstrated by pressure and indoor-range tests run by Charlie Sisk after the .300 WSM was introduced, at my request for an article published in Handloader magazine.

This also proven true in the three .300 H&H and .300 WSM rifles I've owned and handloaded for, which including both factory and custom-barreled rifles. But in general the .300 WSM does result in more consistent velocities and hence accuracy. Whether that matters in the field is another question--but neither round is particularly popular anymore.

Personally I am among those who like all of 'em--which is why my present collection of centerfire hunting rifles is chambered for rounds from the .50-70 Springfield (an original first-year production "trapdoor" made in 1866) to the 6.5 PRC.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B2

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
why I see it a lot of the new stuff is just very slightly redesigned old stuff. so much of the latest newest stuff is basically coming off of the 220 Russian... the new stuff that's the most newly engineered in my opinion is the creedmoor case..

else in the news there's so many new cartridges are so close to the old stuff but they're learning how to twist the barrels better for more modern projectiles.

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
They're alright. I got a 6.5 Creedmoor a few years ago. It's accurate and pleasant to shoot but I don't really need it for anything. This season my Creedmoor stayed in the safe while I killed deer with my crossbow, .243 {X 2}, .30-06, .30-30 and a patched ball out of my Hawken. They're all just as dead as if I'd shot them with the Creedmoor.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
The most modern chambering I now have is .300 WSM and I do very little with it. I've toyed with the idea of getting a 6.5 CM, but can't really bring myself to do so. On the other hand, I'm kind of on the verge of seriously going after a .30-30, maybe one of the new Marlin 336's, although I'd prefer a Ruger No 1 if I could find the right one. The two rifles I bought this year are a 7X57 and a .308.

I can see the advantages of some of the newer cartridges, but I'm unlikely to ever shoot another deer past 300 yards, most within 100. I doubt that I will be seeing any more trips out west or up into Canada and, if I did, I'd be very confident of any number of rifles I now have and have been shooting for a long time.

That's not to say that next week or next month or whenever I won't be posting on here about how cool my new fast-twist, square-shouldered 6 point something wunderkind is...who knows...

Mathew 22: 37-39

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I like them all. I especially like the lower recoil offerings like the 6ARC and 6.5 Grendel. I wish Howa/Legacy would import the stainless Mini Action.

“Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person”
-Fred Bear
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Originally Posted by 358WCF
...about the same case capacity & performance as Ackley Imp 06 based cases.

Actually no, the .300 WSM does NOT "have about the same case capacity & performance as Ackley Imp 06 based cases." Unless, of course, like many handloaders you load according to traditional "pressure signs"--which have been proven in pressure-lab tests to generally not show up until around 70,000 PSI.

In reality the .300 WSM has just about the same powder capacity as the .300 H&H, which is a fine cartridge despite the belt and sloping shoulder. With the same powder charges and bullets both will produce just about exactly the same pressures and velocities--which was demonstrated by pressure and indoor-range tests run by Charlie Sisk after the .300 WSM was introduced, at my request for an article published in Handloader magazine.

Well hell John, about the same is surely less than exact. Never saw the need for a WSM, but have used the others extensively. Nosler #8 on water capacity, with 165gr bullets in all, says 79.6 for the H&H, 74 for the WSM, 65.4 for the 06 Imp., & 60.2 for the std. 06. What's the cutoff for about to be an acceptable measure? Is 8 gr of water too much? Maybe about 5 grains is more acceptable?

I load to find pressure (your 70K point?) with my particular lots of stuff, then back off to where the best balance of accuracy & velocity is with good case life. I may lose some brass during development, but 8 to 10 or often more full load firings is normal here. Unsure the actual pressure my stuff runs at, but I just retired some brass in use since the late 80s because it was... old. Unsure how many times it was fired, but it still held primers.

Sacred cows make good burgers when you know what temperature to cook them at.-Rev. Billy
IC B3

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Gee, I'm impressed--with your lack of actual knowledge.

If you feel insulted by that statement, then feel free....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
DGAS.

Really.

Newest round I own a gun for is 5.56. Only because...AR-15.
Otherwise it's 22-250.

If I didn't have a 7 Rem, I'd buy the new version.
300Win, same.

308, 30-06, Swede.......

The new versions are somewhat improved, but by loading my own many things
can be worked out. Anymore I'm a 200 yard deer hunter, a 30-30 could suffice.
I prefer 308, or 30-06.
Nothing new offers anything much over them. For me.
Especially considering the cost of supporting a new round.
Couple hundred cases, dies at today's prices.
I ain't "updating".

However, if I got a screaming deal.
Like my Swede, SS Tikka, brass, bullets, dies, great price.
I could try a Creedmoor, just wouldn't tell anyone!😉😉😉😉

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Gee, I'm impressed--with your lack of actual knowledge.

If you feel insulted by that statement, then feel free....
Thank you for providing the smile in my morning. smile

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I really like the .300Sav.

Started playing with a 7mm-08 it may become my favorite whitetail choice.

Small Game, Deer, Turkey, Bear, Elk....It's what's for dinner.

If you know how many guns you own... you don't own enough.

In God We Trust.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I like the new advancements in cartridge design and especially the factory trend towards faster barrel twist rates. Most of the changes are sensible. Some have me scratching my head - there’s a lot of cartridge overlap, but that’s ok.... buy what you like.

Since the late 60’s I’ve used mainly the .270 for all my hunting - augmented with the .243, .30-06 and the .338 and .358...I thought I needed a cannon for elk. My main carry today is the 6.5CM. It really is the easy button and it’s been very successful for me. My last rifle purchase (2022) is a 1948 Savage 99 EG in .300. Always wanted one, haven’t used it on anything - yet...

There’s a lot to sort through these days. Buy what you want, use what you like and don’t worry about the other guy.....

BT53
"Where do they find young men like this?" Reporter Savidge, Iraq
Elk, it's what's for dinner....

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
With new powders and bullets, the old is like new again!

Bob
www.bigbores.ca

"What shall it profit a man if he gain the whole world and lose his own soul" - Jesus

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There are, as to be expected, several camps on this.

1. Serious shooters who see, and can capitalize on, the value of these new chamberings and slippery bullets they sling.

2. Average Joes who buy them because they are readily available, and understand but will never exploit the difference between the oldies and newbies.

3. Bandwagon Fanbois who simply have to have them because the are the latest long range badass schizzle. Can't hit a 12" gong at 200.

4. Traditionalists who understand the value in them, but eschew them in favor of sentimental favorites.

5. Get off my lawn types who loathe change and will run them down as "not any better than."

I am a 2.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
yes the new cartridges are nice i own a few including Creedmoors , but being older i just like my fast old 257 Weatherby mag. better ,all of us in the family use Ruger #1`s the ladies and grandkids have Ruger #1`s in 257 Roberts so i guess we are old school . haven`t notice that deer die any better when someone uses a new type cartridge yet either ? i also use a older type x-bow a Excaliber its quiet and with Zwickey broadheads and it does kill deer and leave a good blood trail , i did try a new Ravin x-bow with expandable broadheads poor blood trails so i went back to old style x-bow and broadheads . > so is a newer rifle ,newer cartridges , newer x-bows or broadheads always better i wonder ?

Last edited by pete53; 12/19/23.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by pete53
yes the new cartridges are nice i own a few including Creedmoors , but being older i just like my fast old 257 Weatherby mag. better ,all of us in the family use Ruger #1`s the ladies and grandkids have Ruger #1`s in 257 Roberts so i guess we are old school . haven`t notice that deer die any better when someone uses a new type cartridge yet either ? i also use a older type x-bow a Excaliber its quiet and with Zwickey broadheads and it does kill deer and leave a good blood trail , i did try a new Ravin x-bow with expandable broadheads poor blood trails so i went back to old style x-bow and broadheads . > so is a newer rifle ,newer cartridges , newer x-bows or broadheads always better i wonder ?

The new modern wiz bang cartridge's seldom bring anything new to 99% of hunters. Dead is dead.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by shrapnel
I’m an old “stand by” guy that likes the more traditional rifles and cartridges. The real innovation that set the world ahead is already over 100 years old.

Smokeless powder, bottleneck cases and copper jackets were really a landmark change in rifles and shooting. Since then, we have improved, but not to the extent that we witnessed in the 1890’s and early 1900’s…

^^^ I agree ^^^

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
Page 2 of 11 1 2 3 4 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

519 members (10gaugeman, 117LBS, 222Sako, 257 roberts, 219 Wasp, 1OntarioJim, 51 invisible), 2,396 guests, and 1,373 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,921
Posts18,518,805
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.