Hop To
Page 34 of 37 1 2 32 33 34 35 36 37
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by tdoyka
Originally Posted by Wrapids
I cant believe this line of bs has dragged on this long. The bible is bs cover to cover.

basically.

i do believe in a God or a Goddess. there has to somebody to turn on lights and what happens next?

i don't believe in a fable, like most of the New Testament. i don't believe in an infallible God/Goddess. if that's the case, why did He/Her bother creating us? He/Her already knows what we do?

Why does it have to be a "somebody"?

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by antlers
I can imagine a conversation between atheists Sam Harris and Richard Dawkins ~ and the apostle Peter. The atheists would attack Christianity ‘by’ attacking the Bible. They’d start out with their blistering critique of the New Testament and its “contradictions” and “it was written by anonymous authors decades after the described events.”
And they’d point out all of the atrocities carried out in the name of religion throughout history, and mainly and especially Christian atrocities.

But ~ the foundation of Christianity is not a combination of 27 different historical manuscripts that were later bound together with the Hebrew Scriptures into a single volume well over 300 years after the described historical events contained in the New Testament.

Let’s hear how the apostle Peter might respond ~ Men, I’m certainly familiar with the history of my people the ancient Israelites, and I’ve never questioned it because of how I was raised. But men, none of that ~ nothing you’ve said has anything to do with ‘my’ decision to follow Jesus. You men reference the inadequacy of my reasoning, so let me explain ‘my’ reasoning ~ I only have one reason. When Jesus was arrested, I ran ~ and when asked if I knew Him, I lied. And when the Romans crucified Him, he died. And at that time, I was like you men ~ I had no faith.

I didn’t know what to believe. I had no reason to believe, because I didn’t know what to believe. I’d just spent 3 years of my life following a false prophet, and now I had a price on my head. And then Jesus came, and there He was ~ very much alive. Men, arguing with anything you’ve said is irrelevant because…and let me clarify one thing…‘my’ reason for believing isn’t something that I’ve heard or read or had read to me.

I believe what I believe because of what I saw...I watched Jesus die, I know exactly where He was buried, but God raised Him ~ and I saw Him, and I saw Him more than once. That’s the reason...that’s the only reason...for ‘my’ hope.

Nice Strawman.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Trying…and failing…to discredit the faith of Christianity ‘by’ attacking and discrediting the Bible is not an original or unique tactic. Those early first century Christians did NOT base their faith on any manuscript. They had their lives changed...and based their faith on...an event. One that they saw, one that they witnessed with their own eyes. The Resurrection of Jesus created and launched Christianity. So the failed tactic of trying to discredit the faith of Christianity ‘by’ attacking and discrediting a book that didn’t even exist at the time that Christianity first began is more than a little bit weak.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Trying…and failing…to discredit the faith of Christianity ‘by’ attacking and discrediting the Bible is not an original or unique tactic. Those early first century Christians did NOT base their faith on any manuscript. They had their lives changed...and based their faith on...an event. One that they saw, one that they witnessed with their own eyes. The Resurrection of Jesus created and launched Christianity. So the failed tactic of trying to discredit the faith of Christianity ‘by’ attacking and discrediting a book that didn’t even exist at the time that Christianity first began is more than a little bit weak.

You mean the book that tells you about those alleged events?

You mean the book that forms the basis for your believe about Christianity?

The one you concede was written later?

Ringman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
antlers.

They can't help themselves. They hate God and deny this by claiming He doesn't exist.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There are not many cases in all of written ancient history where we have multiple separate and independent written accounts of the same event, or series of events. We have virtually no multiple separate and independent written accounts of the same events in all of written ancient history. The life of Jesus stands out all by itself in that regard. The events of His life were extremely important to His 1st century followers. “Many” people attempted to write down an orderly account of the life of Jesus, not just a few, but “many”.

The fact that we have 4 ancient separate and independent manuscripts that document the life of Jesus is unique. We don’t have references to these documents, we have actual copies of these documents. In nearly all of written ancient history, we only have references to documents that we no longer have. With nearly all of written ancient history there are no actual copies, it’s just authors who reference documents who reference documents, and the documents…and actual copies of those documents…are no longer with us because they just disintegrated over time.

And yet we have 4 different separate and independent accounts of the life of Jesus, and the reason we have those historical accounts are not because of what He taught, and not because that He was arrested, and not because He was crucified ~ the reason all of these people documented the life of Jesus is because He rose from the dead. And these historical accounts were considered valuable and reliable and sacred and inspired. They were considered scripture by the early ekklesia of Jesus.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Originally Posted by TF49
A general comment about “models.”

The construct of models to help us better understand how things work are very valuable…. We have naturalistic models…..societal models…..economic models and of models for astronomy.

But, models are not fixed, immutable concepts.

As we gain more knowledge….new information, a model is subject to change….as it should. Such as the “dark matter” descriptions.

In the link below is an example of a an astronomic model undergoing change…

https://www.astronomy.com/science/is-the-big-bang-in-crisis/

Oddly how astronomers Big Bang theory is changing, even though the moniker “Big Bang” remains.

Also note the emergence of the “everywhere, all at once” concept being discussed….interesting stuff.

HOWEVER….. there is a great danger in developing models…. A “model” is only a model. It may not be totally accurate….the danger comes when we begin to …..believe…. That the model is a totally accurate representation of the true action, circumstance or interpretation of some set of facts or events.

The model may be accurate for what we can see today, bit as new information/facts are presented, the model must change.

So…don’t get to carried away…or… “married up” with some way of thinking or model that you have grown comfortable with…..

It’s going to change….

Cool, so you know what a model is.

However, if you remember my original question or request, it was for bible literalist (people who take every word the bible to be literally true) to explain the biblical model of the cosmos to me. A bible literalist would take those words that describe the formation and structure of the biblical account of the to be true. In other words, the model of the universe that is in the bible is the way it actually is. I'm not creating a straw man here, I've met many that claim to actually believe this.

You responded, so I assumed you were taking the stories of Genesis to actually be true.

In the Genesis story of the Noah it is very clear where the water came from and it fits nicely with the first paragraphs of the story of creation. The mountains were not flattened in the bible as you proposed earlier. "Fifteen cubits upward did the waters prevail; and the mountains were covered" Yep, the mountains were still there and they were all covered.

You seem to be completely unaware of where the bible says the water came from.

This is an issue with so many Christians. They profess a belief in the Bible. They will argue that it is true. Yet they don't even know what the [bleep] the Bible actually says. This would just be a moderately annoying, except they are always try to inflict there personal beliefs on others and using the Bible to justify it.

Last edited by RHOD; 12/19/23.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Some of the very first Christians the Ebionites did rely on a manuscript, the account of Matthew without the first two chapters. Now the Ebionites are called heretics and the only accounts of them that survive are those written by their enemies which were written to discredit the Ebionites. The Roman church could not allow the truth to survive while they established the lie that passes for Christianity today.

Censorship is nothing new. The truth just the same as real money (gold) cannot be allowed or the false cannot be sold.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Originally Posted by Wrapids
I cant believe this line of bs has dragged on this long. The bible is bs cover to cover.

basically.

i do believe in a God or a Goddess. there has to somebody to turn on lights and what happens next?

i don't believe in a fable, like most of the New Testament. i don't believe in an infallible God/Goddess. if that's the case, why did He/Her bother creating us? He/Her already knows what we do?

Why does it have to be a "somebody"?

you are right. it is the couch in my living room. wink

"Russia sucks."
---- Me, US Army (retired) 12B & 51B

Russian Admiral said, after the Moskva sank, "we have the world's worst navy but we aren't as bad as our army".

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R

So we agree, the bible is a completely unreliable source.

So when certain "Christians" start justifying their actions, ideas, morality, government policy, etc. by citing the bible, I trust you'll join me in telling them to put that sh*t away. Especially when it forces those ideas and morality on others.

Last edited by RHOD; 12/19/23.
IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
There are not many cases in all of written ancient history where we have multiple separate and independent written accounts of the same event, or series of events. We have virtually no multiple separate and independent written accounts of the same events in all of written ancient history. The life of Jesus stands out all by itself in that regard. The events of His life were extremely important to His 1st century followers. “Many” people attempted to write down an orderly account of the life of Jesus, not just a few, but “many”.

The fact that we have 4 ancient separate and independent manuscripts that document the life of Jesus is unique. We don’t have references to these documents, we have actual copies of these documents. In nearly all of written ancient history, we only have references to documents that we no longer have. With nearly all of written ancient history there are no actual copies, it’s just authors who reference documents who reference documents, and the documents…and actual copies of those documents…are no longer with us because they just disintegrated over time.

And yet we have 4 different separate and independent accounts of the life of Jesus, and the reason we have those historical accounts are not because of what He taught, and not because that He was arrested, and not because He was crucified ~ the reason all of these people documented the life of Jesus is because He rose from the dead. And these historical accounts were considered valuable and reliable and sacred and inspired. They were considered scripture by the early ekklesia of Jesus.

i think that we all should go to the Sumerian religion. Sumerian is the first written language so you have to believe that religion is true because it was already written. wink

if you believe in your Christian God, that's great. you do you. Shinto, Native American, Hinduism...doesn't matter. if you are an atheist, i don't mind. you do you is my motto when it comes to religion.

"Russia sucks."
---- Me, US Army (retired) 12B & 51B

Russian Admiral said, after the Moskva sank, "we have the world's worst navy but we aren't as bad as our army".

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I think the original manuscripts that comprise what we call ‘the Bible’ nowadays were inspired by, and given to us by, God. The story of how the world got ‘the Bible’ begins with a single event ~ an event that was so extraordinary that it was worth writing about. The backstory of ‘the Bible’ gives us important context for the stories that are in it. The Old Testament is a gritty, epic history of the people of Israel. But even broader than that, it’s the story of God preparing the world for a Savior. I read the Old Testament for inspiration and motivation, but not application. I can easily let go of the moral values and imperatives in it because of Jesus’ New Covenant.

The Old Testament is not and never has been the go-to source regarding any behavior of Jesus’ New Covenant ekklesia. New Covenant values and imperatives stand in sharp contrast to the values and imperatives of the old covenant. I’ll take my application from Jesus’ New Covenant commands.

The Bible did not create Christianity. Christianity created ‘the Bible’. That means that peace with God is possible even when we don’t have peace with everything in ‘the Bible’. Jesus’ New Covenant commands should be the primary focus of Christians’ lives. Jesus’ earliest followers based their faith on His extraordinary resurrection.

It makes sense to me that people nowadays should revisit that fact. And it makes sense to me for people who want to follow Jesus nowadays to base their faith on that too.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by an anti-theist
A god is not an answer - it's a premise in the god-in-the-gaps fallacy. Where did the god come from?
So let me get this straight, the universe…and everything in it, including intelligent life…can come from nothing, but a divine awareness could not…?

Only those that believe in intelligent design say it all came from nothing - yet another outragous claim of the easily fooled. Using magic as a pacifier for the unknown, complicating and solving nothing in the process. They feel justified asserting their bullshit simply because it's unverifiable, therefore must be right LOL!!!

Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by Raspy
Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M

i think that we all should go to the Sumerian religion. Sumerian is the first written language so you have to believe that religion is true because it was already written. wink

if you believe in your Christian God, that's great. you do you. Shinto, Native American, Hinduism...doesn't matter. if you are an atheist, i don't mind. you do you is my motto when it comes to religion.

The Egyptian gods are worth a look at too. Take Osiris for example - he pulled off the resurrection stunt millenia before it was claimed by Jesus' writers, and he even got his wife pregnant post resurrection. What a champ! Jesus never got anyone pregnant - maybe he was a eunuch or something?

Well?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you knew that Christianity was true, would you become a follower of Jesus…?
No I wouldn't. The god described in the bible is a total cunt.
Your position clearly has zero to do with truth and logic and reason and ‘lack of evidence’, or science ~ despite your many assertions (recent and past) to the contrary. Your position is clearly a matter of the heart. Period. You have clearly pointed out what has been known by many here all along.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Still wouldn't follow and worship your god if the biblical accounts are true and accurate - they make your god out to be a total cunt.
Your position is clearly not a position of logic and reason and ‘lack of evidence’, or science. Your position is clearly a matter of the heart, and nothing else. Again, you have clearly pointed out what has been known by many here all along.

Ringman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RHOD
In the Genesis story of the Noah it is very clear where the water came from and it fits nicely with the first paragraphs of the story of creation. The mountains were not flattened in the bible as you proposed earlier. "Fifteen cubits upward did the waters prevail; and the mountains were covered" Yep, the mountains were still there and they were all covered.

Would you mind telling us where the Bible says the water came from? Then I will try to respond, since I believe it to be Truth.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Your position clearly has zero to do with truth and logic and reason and ‘lack of evidence’, or science ~ despite your many assertions (recent and past) to the contrary. Your position is clearly a matter of the heart. Period. You have clearly pointed out what has been known by many here all along.

My position is always about facts and truth. You're in love with Jesus even though the story is devoid of facts makes no sense at all, and god is portrayed so badly. Yet you still strive to be one of god's bitches. So sad that you want to forgo morality for a life, and pretend beyond, in a fairytale.

Well?
DBT Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Regarding the biased deniers oft repeated claim of “contradictions” in the Gospels:

After the Titanic sank there were several different headlines from newspapers regarding how many people died. They all had different numbers and there were “contradictions.” And even eyewitnesses disagreed about the Titanic sank. Some eyewitnesses said it went down whole and other eyewitnesses said it broke in two and went down, and there were “contradictions.”

Does that mean the Titanic didn’t sink…? Nope. What they all do agree on is this ~ they all agree on the ‘major event’ that the Titanic sank. Maybe some eyewitnesses had a different view than other eyewitnesses. This is exactly what you get with eyewitness testimony. You get people agreeing on the ‘major event.’

There ‘was’ a Resurrection. You get em’ disagreeing, or at least giving different accounts, about maybe who got to the tomb first or who was there, but none of that stuff changes the central and major event that they’re writing about. And that is the Resurrection.

When people point out what ‘they’ consider to be “contradictions” in the Bible, so what…? What does that prove…? It certainly doesn’t prove that Jesus didn’t rise from the dead…! And it certainly doesn’t mean the New Testament documents aren’t reliable either.

The writers may have different nuances or different ways or reporting, but if you find what you consider to be a “contradiction” in the story, it certainly and clearly doesn’t mean that the central or main event didn’t happen. The Bible doesn’t need to be without “contradictions” for Christianity to be true.

“Contradictions” do not negate the bigger point that Jesus rose from the dead for our sins and by trusting in Him you can have forgiveness.

Contradictions in the bible is not a claim, it is a reality. Lists of contradictions have been posted time and again. To deny this is to bury your head in the sand.

Here is a list. Some may be resolvable, but not enough to claim that there are no contradictions.

https://www.ocf.berkeley.edu/~wwu/YaBBAttachments/101_Contradictions_In_The_Bible.pdf

Last edited by DBT; 12/20/23.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

My position is always about facts and truth. You're in love with Jesus even though the story is devoid of facts makes no sense at all, and god is portrayed so badly. Yet you still strive to be one of god's bitches. So sad that you want to forgo morality for a life, and pretend beyond, in a fairytale.
In these forums, it is indeed very sad and disappointing when a person like you repeatedly demonstrates such hypocrisy and emptiness - accentuated by rotten blather. Your position is NEVER about facts and truth, as shown again and again by these and many other posters who have exposed your falsity and delusion. That fact is demonstrated in many past threads.

It must be horrible to live every day in a quest to somehow convince yourself that you are a normal, healthy person in the face of such nagging evidence. Your value here amounts to the simplicity of a bad example.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
Page 34 of 37 1 2 32 33 34 35 36 37

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

509 members (12344mag, 163bc, 1Longbow, 10gaugeman, 204guy, 219 Wasp, 41 invisible), 2,121 guests, and 1,184 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,223
Posts18,504,259
Members73,994
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.