Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I'm hoping to still be cruising the mountains into my 70s, hunting deer and elk. At a minimum still chasing chukars behind pointing dogs (will have plenty of time for training then).

If I make it to 80 it will be a miracle, but if I do I'll still be hunting...maybe transition to huns...easier country.

Here's to the next 43yrs...

Last edited by Jackson_Handy; 12/20/23.
GB1

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by JeffA
Originally Posted by smokepole
You want to be around long enough to be a burden and cash sapping responsibility for your loved ones?

No. I want my money to go to my sons, not some damn nursing home that's not worth living in.

I think the medical community as a whole has it down pat on draining your estate no matter what ya got.

They'll guilt trip your loved ones into keeping you alive even if you can do nothing but lay in bed and look at the ceiling if there is money in it.

I suppose if push ever came to shove I could move inner-city, buy a TV and live off take out delivery food or Uber trips and learn to be a couch potato.

Never done any of that for more than a couple days at a time.
Not too sure I'd take to it.

Our trust will not allow that. It's crystal clear in that regard.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I’ve always figured it was out of my hands. But if I live to the point of burden vs provider I’ll exit stage right on my own terms.

I honestly can’t imagine wanting to live if there weren’t folks depending on me.

MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Well, at 70 years old I'm just about to get the building permit to start building our last house. Also, building a great shop to go with it on some acreage. Once that is all complete I hope to make it at least a few more years to enjoy it , but to be honest, it is an investment for my kids to split when we are gone.

I've talked to my doctor, my cardiologist, and my family about this and I made it clear I have made out the proper forms that no heroic actions are to be taken to keep me alive if something serious happens, beyond first aid . Not to be kept alive on machines and hang on wasting resources and money for no reason. I've made it clear life is about quality of life, not quantity and I'm already at the point that if I went tomorrow I would have no complaints. I've squeezed a lot of life into my time and I'm pretty satisfied. As long as I can do for myself and still pursue all my varied hobbies and activities I will continue to keep active. Once that stops , it's time to go...

Last edited by Sheister; 12/20/23.

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I’m ready to check out at anytime. Working on 60. The thought of living another 30 years scares me WAY more than dying today.

I would like to put a couple more 140+ whitetail on the wall.
But I also realize I’ve been a blessed man most my adult life.

My kids are all successful to their own measurements, they know I have no intention of leaving them a ton of money.
My wife still turns heads and a good all around gal to spend time with, so hanging around is okay too.

I am of the belief that if I was to become a burden to those I love, and cognizant that I am, I’m ending it.

IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
Think about it a lot since losing my Dad. I had children very late in life. I'm 50 with a 6 and 4 year old boys. Part of me wants to live to see them married, have their own lives, etc. As crappy as my wife and I are getting along the last couple years, I passively don't really care if I wake up tomorrow. Doubt I'll ever be able to leave the boys what my Dad left me, I'm trying my best to not touch it so they can enjoy it.

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, used up, worn out, bottle of Jim Beam in one hand and a .45 in the other, loudly proclaiming WOW-- What a Ride!"
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Genetics says I should make 80 in fair shape.
Am 60 now.
Haven't had fun for a long while.
Not married, no grandkids..........really don't give a flip.
Like to sleep until October, then hunt 3 months and go back to bed.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Originally Posted by Chumleyhunts
Think about it a lot since losing my Dad. I had children very late in life. I'm 50 with a 6 and 4 year old boys. Part of me wants to live to see them married, have their own lives, etc. As crappy as my wife and I are getting along the last couple years, I passively don't really care if I wake up tomorrow. Doubt I'll ever be able to leave the boys what my Dad left me, I'm trying my best to not touch it so they can enjoy it.

Have similar view.
Practical and not emotional.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I want to live until God says it's time to come home.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I’m shooting for 110 yo. My grandfather at 94 was working on his mobile home and replaced all the overhangs on the roof by himself. During this project his appendix needed to be taken out so I re roofed it for him on the weekends. When grandpa was about 101, my grandmother passed. She was about 12 years younger. At that point my grandpa gave up and went downhill fast . He died at age 102. I think if he would have found another gal, he could have lived another 5 years. I know another man that is age 101 and still drives everyday. Stay active both physically and mentally and you guys might surprise yourself !!!

IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Hell if I had known I was going to live to be those old I would have taken better care of myself.

Just because you're offended doesn't mean your right.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
My Grandfather always said “ Take care of your body, you might have to live in it a long time”

C
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd be Ok checking out today

But if I wake up tomorrow, I'm gonna see new places and do new things.
Or die trying...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
For as long as I can contribute. For now, that’s leading, providing. Before too awful long, it’ll become supporting and encouraging the next generation’s goals and ambitions. Not too long after than, it’ll be caring for and educating the second generation (third? Wow, crazy thought) with a more generational, family tradition perspective. That, I hope, will involve a good bit of time in the out of doors with curious kids in wild places.

If God will grant me one prayer, it’s to never feel like I’m not making someone’s life a little better in some way. I’ve watched some people just waiting to die for a decade, plus. That’s no way to live.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
I should, Just ask for one day at a time Sweet Jesus.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
Originally Posted by Clarkm
My wife is 5 years younger and attractive.
I am 72.
I don't know how much longer I can keep it up.

I love your sense of humor.
It’s none of my business, but I hope you can keep it up for a very long time.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
I've been giving this one a good bit of thought over the past few years, mostly from the viewpoint of how to pack as much life into whatever years remain. I figure I've got far more control over the former, than the latter.

Having helped 2 grandmothers and now my own mother through Alzheimer's, I've seen that bstrd of a disease rob the final 10 to 15 years or their lives, and I want no part of it. The men on both sides of the family have lived to 90, more or less, when they could control their alcohol intake. Even so, while they did keep their wits to the end, their spirit & mobility waned far too long before their journeys ended. It seems that if I can make any lifestyle changes to up my vitality in whatever remaining years are assigned to me, I'd better do so now so they'll have a chance to make a meaningful difference.

Whereas my forebears took fistfuls of Rx meds to manage symptoms, I'm eating near-fistfuls of various supplements in an attempt to stave-off the need for any Rx meds later on. Better eating & more movement are also part of the plan. It could well be that the specialty docs I've enlisted to plot this course will end up being horribly wrong about it. Still, it can't be any worse of an outcome that what I'd get from what a couch-borne, Cheetoh-eating, Mt. Dew-drinking lifestyle would net me.

I still want to see the northern lights, harvest a bighorn, catch a muskie, get to the Himalayas, wander a bit in Australia, & hunt some more with as many of you guys as will have me. Now that grandkids are on the scene, I'll be obliged to teach knife skills & safety, first aid, basic bushcraft skills, firearms safety, shooting fundamentals, and the joys & responsibilities of the hunt. It also appears they'll have to turn to me to know what a man is, what a woman is, that capitalism is the state of nature, and that life aint all about them. I also really need to find out all the amazing things about my wife that I'm still learning day by day.

I figure I'm gonna need at least a few more decades to squeeze it all in.

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I've got some packages to ship this week but once they are in the mail any day is fine by me.

I am always looking for factory wood stocks!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by EdM
Originally Posted by smokepole
You want to be around long enough to be a burden and cash sapping responsibility for your loved ones?

No. I want my money to go to my sons, not some damn nursing home that's not worth living in.

I think the medical community as a whole has it down pat on draining your estate no matter what ya got.

They'll guilt trip your loved ones into keeping you alive even if you can do nothing but lay in bed and look at the ceiling if there is money in it.

I suppose if push ever came to shove I could move inner-city, buy a TV and live off take out delivery food or Uber trips and learn to be a couch potato.

Never done any of that for more than a couple days at a time.
Not too sure I'd take to it.

Our trust will not allow that. It's crystal clear in that regard.
Right - not a chance. And, due to inculcated values, my wife and our kids - the family - do not do guilt trips.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

645 members (160user, 1234, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 19rabbit52, 06hunter59, 75 invisible), 3,539 guests, and 1,189 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,634
Posts18,533,297
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.