Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Originally Posted by 5sdad
I like them breaded and deep-fried. I never could understand swallowing them raw/whole.

Eating them raw is probably your second best chance AP getting hepatitis. Might as well shoot up with a dirty needle. 😜

I've literally eaten thousands of raw oysters. Never been sick.

Many years ago, I was mildly ill after eating several dozen, but it was probably the 2 gallons of beer I drank after the oysters.

Then again, I've never had covid or the flu, so maybe I'm just built different.

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by TimberRunner
I like them breaded and deep-fried. I never could understand swallowing them raw/whole.

Eating them raw is probably your second best chance AP getting hepatitis. Might as well shoot up with a dirty needle. 😜

Many years ago, I was mildly ill after eating several dozen, but it was probably the 2 gallons of beer I drank after the oysters.

Never ate any, never will. You can have my share. 🤮

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by TimberRunner

Never ate any, never will. You can have my share. 🤮

I've eaten your share and many more. Will eat everyone's share again long before I'm gone.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Some people can’t eat oysters or shoot 1911s.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Put 30 on the grill last night just til they opened a little, popped them open added a little butter/lemon/horseradish mix to them and served them on the half shell. They were probably half cooked and delicious. The taste raw is definitely the strongest/best to me. Especially with a couple drops of Texas Pete.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
been eating them raw for 55 years never been sick or had any family members sick. but we eat them the day we get them out of the river. I will not eat them from any were else

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
That is called Angels on Horseback. i used to go to a yacht club that made them, they were delicious..

The more I get to know people, the better I like dogs, life is short, eat dessert first.
P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
I been enjoying both oysters and clams on the half shell for the last 55 years.
Local seafood restaurant used to have ‘buck a shuck’ oysters and one had to wait to be seated. We went every week.
A bar I used to frequent back in the day would cook a big pot of Babbalucci (snails in seasoned tomato sauce) on Christmas Eve. Delicious. The old Italian guys had special silver or gold toothpicks to get the snails out of the shell.
Never got sick from any of it.

Did have Moules Provencale in Paris years ago and lost a day or two of the holiday.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Living on the WA coast id watch them harvest them while duck hunting and stop on the way home and pick up . half dozen. Pop them open and put them on the grill with a dab of butter and a squeeze of lemon.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
IC B3

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
W
Anything wrong with freezing them?

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
The only way I will eat frozen oysters is if I can't find fresh ones and then only for oyster stew.

The more I get to know people, the better I like dogs, life is short, eat dessert first.
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
We had a bushel for Christmas. Shucked enough while still cold for oyster stew and steamed the rest just enough to make them easier to pop open.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Frozen oysters taste stronger than fresh even frozen right after they are shucked.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Just saw a cartoon where the restaurant owner has taken a waiter aside and is telling him, "I want you to stop calling the oysters 'the sea booger platter'".

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I'm a raw, lil squeeze of fresh lemon juice, lots of course cracked black pepper & a large glass of stout, kinda guy !

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
Originally Posted by Poconojack
I been enjoying both oysters and clams on the half shell for the last 55 years.
Local seafood restaurant used to have ‘buck a shuck’ oysters and one had to wait to be seated. We went every week.
A bar I used to frequent back in the day would cook a big pot of Babbalucci (snails in seasoned tomato sauce) on Christmas Eve. Delicious. The old Italian guys had special silver or gold toothpicks to get the snails out of the shell.
Never got sick from any of it.

Did have Moules Provencale in Paris years ago and lost a day or two of the holiday.

I actually like clams on the half shell more than Oysters.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have no problem with you guys eating filter eaters raw, but I would rather have them breaded and fried. I just don't like the slim feeling in my mouth. But I like hot sauce on them though.

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
Slimey is imagination, they behave like what they are. Whatb would you expect something that livers its life under water to be like?

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
In college I used to buy a sack of oysters and my room mate and I would shell them and put them in a gallon pickle jar in our fridge. Thought I was in heaven with a constant supply of raw oysters. Ate them with a little Heinz 57 and crackers and never went hungry! Of course, today you would have to have a small fortune to buy and eat them like that anymore (in that quantity). Just another facet of going to LSU that made a indelible memory!

I still eat them but usually they are already shelled by the half pint and last 2 snacks!

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

537 members (007FJ, 10ring1, 219DW, 1lessdog, 1badf350, 12344mag, 60 invisible), 2,227 guests, and 1,213 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,113
Posts18,502,311
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.