Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by benchman
I musta set a record. Had over 300,000 on a 2.8 in a Citation X11. Never had a single problem.
WTF?.. with a carburetor... you walk on water...

GB1

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
GM 305 V8.

Those Ford V8s with Loctite spark plugs.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
The 1ZZ-FE or 2ZZ-GE (I forget... maybe both).

Good engine, but the casting was FUBAR... (i.e. minor CV axle impact cracked the engine block).

...and the infamous Cummins 53 block or the KDP in the 12 valves...

In fairness... less than 5% of 53 blocks actually had a problem... and the KDP is fixable.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

G
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
G
Ram 5.7 and 6.4 gassers like eating lifters

Don't limit your challenges
Challenge your limits
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
My Vega with aluminum block and steel sleeves. I bought it brand new and less than 2,000 miles took back to dealership. They said the rings have not seated yet. I was putting more oil in it than gas. It never got any better, dealership wanted me to pay for an oil consumption check. I told them I was already paying for the oil consumption check all the time since new. Then they wanted me to pay to grind the valves. I said HELL no. I tried to sell but no one wanted the damm thing. Sold it finally to an individual at a hell of a loss. They knew they had problems but ignored them.

IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by 7mm_Loco
Originally Posted by wilkeshunter
Oldsmobile diesel

Oldsmobile 330

Chevrolet 307

Ford 4 cylinder turbo
forged crank in the 330's... fits in any Olds small block!... 307 Chevy's were cam eaters for some odd reason, bad run of cams maybe?..

307 Chevy cam was not hardened properly would get eaten by the distributor gear and the timing would go off.....

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by sidewinder72
My Vega with aluminum block and steel sleeves. I bought it brand new and less than 2,000 miles took back to dealership. They said the rings have not seated yet. I was putting more oil in it than gas. It never got any better, dealership wanted me to pay for an oil consumption check. I told them I was already paying for the oil consumption check all the time since new. Then they wanted me to pay to grind the valves. I said HELL no. I tried to sell but no one wanted the damm thing. Sold it finally to an individual at a hell of a loss. They knew they had problems but ignored them.

GM didn't start retrofitting that engine with steel sleeves until 1976. A cousin bought a new one in 1971. It started drinking oil almost immediately.

Last edited by Chisos; 12/23/23.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by gregintenn
Anything with Tecumseh written on it.

^^^^^^^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Stix
Folks hate on the ford 6.0 and for good reason. But it’s younger brother the 6.4 is far worse....
6.4 isn't bad, just takes money. Stock, yes. Alot of downsides especially since it was only produced for a couple years.

Mine runs great but crappy mileage. Bullet proofed and deleted. I'd rather have the 7.3 but whatever

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by benchman
I musta set a record. Had over 300,000 on a 2.8 in a Citation X11. Never had a single problem.
WTF?.. with a carburetor... you walk on water...
Yup, an 84, with a carb. It was a nice car.

IC B3

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Chisos

GM didn't start retrofitting that engine with steel sleeves until 1976. A cousin bought a new one in 1971. It started drinking oil almost immediately.

Worst engine design of all time.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
the Ford Y block... early Vega (pre iron liner)... Pontiac 301... GM 5.7 diesel (aka "Lu Lu") & the 6.2 diesel ("Dark Cloud Special")... Caddy 4-6-8 & 4100... almost anything British... just to name a few...

You are nuts.

The Y was a good family.

Agreed,

Your life is made up of two dates and a dash, Make the most of the dash.
RAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
I don't remember the details of the AMC engines, but many of them had a horrible reputation.
There are many who lost to AMX's who would disagree. And the 258 inline 6 was unstoppable. Lived on into Chrysler days as the 4.0 in the Jeep

America is (supposed to be) a Republic, NOT a democracy. Learn the difference, help end the lie. Fear a government that fears your guns.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Hotrod_Lincoln
307 Chevy's were cam eaters for some odd reason, bad run of cams maybe?..

Carbonized oil around the pushrods near the heat riser passages- - - - -jammed the pushrods and the drag on the lifters wiped out cam lobes. Usually #4 or #6 cylinder. Engines running 10W-40 oil had the most problems, causing GM to deny warranty coverage on any engine running that weight oil in the mid-1980s. What GM would NOT say was "Don't run Quaker State 10W-40". Field service engineers would admit it privately, but they would NEVER put it in writing.
I say they were soft cams. went thru 3 cams after maybe 3000 miles on a gmc 350 until a guy told me to get a cam from a speed shop. that lasted

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M

took the car companies 20 years to get over the Arab oil embargo where they made total junk which allowed japanese cars to get a foothold and in fact the US economy never recovered from the embargo which is why there is a 35 trillion dollar deficit and a trillion a year paying interest on it

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I rember a Detroit diesel that you needed to put a pan under into catch the oil that dripped out over night ,it had a compression release that you had to pull then you get the starter spinning and let go the release to start the thing. I think the mechanic called it a 250 fuel squeezer ,the drivers just called it a weak ass piece of crap

there is no man more free than he who has nothing left to lose --unknown--
" If it bleeds we can kill it" Conan The Barbarian
V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
"The Y was a good family."

If you kept any y block engine long enough you would have valvetrain oiling problems. They even had aftermarket kit to fix the problem because Ford engineers couldn't figure out how. I helped a friend install an aftermarket kit on his '56 Ford 312" y block engine.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Navistar Maxx Force. 40% EGR!!! Really, what were the engineers thinking??

Some is Good---More is Better----Too Much is Just Right
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Olds diesel was pretty bad. Dad had one, FIL had one. Those engines seemed like a good idea, just weren’t. They’d go 80K or so. After his diesel died, FIL retrofitted his Olds with a 350 gasser. Dad traded his Olds before it crapped out.

I had a later diesel Suburban. Nothing but trouble. Should have gone with a 350 gasser. But the diesel sounded like a good idea. Hmm….

Live and learn. Tuition gets expensive.

DF

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by RAM
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
I don't remember the details of the AMC engines, but many of them had a horrible reputation.
There are many who lost to AMX's who would disagree. And the 258 inline 6 was unstoppable. Lived on into Chrysler days as the 4.0 in the Jeep

These internet "worst" lists are mostly click bait junk by people who more likely weren't even born when the cars they are trashing were being produced and "have heard something". Good example the AMC Gremlin always making their lists then having the comment section of their trash piece inundated by people who had actually owned and driven them, saying they were great little cars. I had two of them with the 258 six and the bullet proof Chrysler 924 Torq-flite. I'd take either of those two over the new 1983 piece of $hit Coupe De Ville I wasted 18 grand on.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

553 members (1_deuce, 1badf350, 10Glocks, 1minute, 10gaugemag, 204guy, 59 invisible), 2,511 guests, and 1,133 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,799
Posts18,516,200
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.