Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
KFWA Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
wife and I took a day trip up into Holmes County Ohio, first time for me.

Went to two cheese factories (for lack of better word) and loaded up on fresh cheese and butter, went to an amazing grocery store that caters to Amish (or benefits from them) - their frozen food section wasn't anything formally packaged, just bags of locally grown fruits/vegetables like elderberries and rhubarb. Here is a picture of their meat counter. I bought a bottle of non homogenized chocolate milk among other things.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I didn't realize just how big the Amish country is up there - I'm guessing its probably 60 sq miles at least, with traditional homes and small burgs mixed in. One thing I noticed is the Amish are really big on solar panels and electric bicycles. They were riding those e-bikes all over the place

Another thing I liked was that about every 6 miles or so there was a general store or a convenience store that had a pretty big selection of everyday needs - only saw 1 dollar general but I wasn't really looking for them.

You want to talk about a safe place to live - at least from the threats of Norwegians and Messicans, then Holmes county seems like the place to be.

Last edited by KFWA; 12/23/23.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
GB1

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
KFWA,
Been Down there before also and I agree as it's about an hour South of me. Very enjoyable and refreshing. Also an Hour east of me in Trumbull County is another similar berg Mesopotamia and surrounding. At our hunt camp in PA about an hour and a half farther East across the Ohio/PA line we have a smaller community of Amish that's very similar. Good Stuff.

HS 58

I Learned a long time ago to Separate My Want's from My Needs!

A man's Gotta Do What a Man's Gotta Do!

Know Thy Self!

TRUMP DID WIN!!!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Lot's of Amish and Mennonites around me, and there are probably at least half a dozen of those kinds of stores within a 20 mile radius. Although they are stocked with goods that the Amish and Mennonites traditionally use, they are very dependent upon the "English" trade. I'd say the ones here probably have more English customers than Plain People, as the Amish and Mennonites like to be called. They usually have fair prices and good commodities, although you have to watch the expiration date on some things. I buy quite a lot from the one that's close to me.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
We used to go to the Amish Buggy Races in that area.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Took my family down to rural south eastern MN to view the Amish Christmas light displays...

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

When its time to fight, you fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to get on Noah's Arc... and brother, it is starting to rain!

The chair is against the wall.
IC B2

KFWA Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
what would be the downside of living in that area?

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
We just started hunting in Monroe County this year and spent a 'work day' familiarizing ourselves with the area. Much higher population of Amish folk than where we 'normally' go every year. Found a small grocery stores that I much liked which looked similar to what you posted.

Nice area in general......and my time in NH is coming closer to an end every day.

�Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.�
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by KFWA
One thing I noticed is the Amish are really big on solar panels and electric bicycles. They were riding those e-bikes all over the place

Another thing they are big on is websites, I buy their products online, they are zippy shippers.

https://www.yoderscountrymarket.net/Grocery/folder/41

KFWA Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Yoder must be a common name or brand associated with Amish? There was some Yoder millworks and lumber in the area I was at

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
what would be the downside of living in that area?

I could be wrong but sumtin has always made me feel like they are real friendly if you there with open wallet to buy their goods and eat at their restaurants but if you were trying to buy real estate within their community it'd be a whole nother thing

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yoder must be a common name or brand associated with Amish? There was some Yoder millworks and lumber in the area I was at

I think about 95% of the Amish are Yoders

#inbreeding

KFWA Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Yoder is the Goldstein of Amish

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Our Amish drive F-350 and dudes wear Wranglers and pearl button rodeo shirts. Women still wear the lunch lady bonnet and don’t shave their mustaches. Pink or blue tie a porkchop around my neck to win a man. Emily Dickinson greasy hair laid down flat

Anyway we got the stores too. They got good deli meat. However it draws a legion of 400 lb dump truck guys want ONE SLICE OF EVERYTHING IN THE MEAT CASE on their fuggin Dagwood sandwiches. Takes 10 mins for that sheeit. GTF outta here.
Same lardass idiots at Publix want a slice of everything to ‘taste’ it. JFC, you want someone to feed you grapes too???
Their jams and jellies are good

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by JeffA

I think about 95% of the Amish are Yoders

#inbreeding
Bunch of Stoltzfus around here. Yoder is them yanky ones.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I cut across Georgia south of Atlanta off I-75 to US 19 so I can have lunch at Yoder's Deitsch Haus near Montezuma.

All along that east/west stretch of rural 2 lane every business bares the Yoder name.

Once I get back into central Florida I'm greeted by the

Yoder Farms sign thats near by.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
If I’m in Georgia I stop at Carroll’s sausage and meats.
Fk the amish😃

Carrolls is like a Hell for vegetarians

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by slumlord
Their jams and jellies are good

A lot of that kind of stuff is bought in very large bulk containers, then put in the pint and quart jars with a store label on it, leading the customer to believe that Ma Yoder herself picked those blackberries and made that jelly on her wood burning stove.

How do I know...........let's just say that an ex member of the cult revealed a lot of secrets to me.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
After my wife and I toured Gettysburg battlefield for 3 days I drove over to Amish country for 3 days and looked around. It struck me how good the crops and farms looked and there were no John Deere tractors parked around. The Amish apparently are pretty good at arithmetic and know the difference between gross and net. There were huge piles of composted manure and I noticed the corn stalks were not as close together as they are where commercial fertilizer is used. The alfalfa fields were beautifully green and lush. The alfalfa is the fuel for their cars and tractors. With all the deer in Pennsylvania I wonder if the Amish take advantage of that meat source.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Hastings
After my wife and I toured Gettysburg battlefield for 3 days I drove over to Amish country for 3 days and looked around. It struck me how good the crops and farms looked and there were no John Deere tractors parked around. The Amish apparently are pretty good at arithmetic and know the difference between gross and net. There were huge piles of composted manure and I noticed the corn stalks were not as close together as they are where commercial fertilizer is used. The alfalfa fields were beautifully green and lush. The alfalfa is the fuel for their cars and tractors. With all the deer in Pennsylvania I wonder if the Amish take advantage of that meat source.

Most of my Mennonite neighbors came here from Pennsylvania. They were amazed at the number of deer we had here, and are crazy over deer hunting. They said there were very few left in their part of PA.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Amish Plumber I dealt with, his neighbor had two whitetail bucks in a 4-5 acre pen. Said he lets a man come out and ‘hunt’ them with a bow.
Over near Herndon.
POS

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

561 members (1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 10gaugeman, 50 invisible), 2,619 guests, and 1,350 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,292
Posts18,525,751
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.