Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Notice this guy is using one of the strongest actions he could find to do this. This is an example of a really bad Idea that shouldn't even be a thought. I guess if you were starving to death and needed to kill a deer, or you were in a life and death situation, it might bail you out, but just don't do it in the real world.

Last edited by reivertom; 12/26/23.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I was going to comment on how I bet that it would work but the accuracy would suffer, and how straight that .308 case would look after firing in a .30-06 chamber. But then I watched the video that persiandog posted. Hey! I was right! Thanks, persiandog.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by JakeM78
Originally Posted by persiandog
Originally Posted by granitestate1
Just changing the headspace can change accuracy.
so , 38 in 357 or 40sw in 10mm are all inaccurate?
How much difference in headspace is there between a 38 and 357?

There is none, both headspace on the rim.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by reivertom
Notice this guy is using one of the strongest actions he could find to do this. This is an example of a really bad Idea that shouldn't even be a thought. I guess if you were starving to death and needed to kill a deer, of you were in a life and death situation, it might bail you out, but just don't do it in the real world.

Unless I am mistaken, the 1917 is a controlled round feed action so headspace is at least to some degree controlled by the extractor similar to 40 S&W in 10mm. Might be very different in a Remington 700.

Still not a good idea.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
RAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Son_of_the_Gael
Originally Posted by reivertom
Notice this guy is using one of the strongest actions he could find to do this. This is an example of a really bad Idea that shouldn't even be a thought. I guess if you were starving to death and needed to kill a deer, of you were in a life and death situation, it might bail you out, but just don't do it in the real world.

Unless I am mistaken, the 1917 is a controlled round feed action so headspace is at least to some degree controlled by the extractor similar to 40 S&W in 10mm. Might be very different in a Remington 700.

Still not a good idea.
Yeah, your mistaken. All bottleneck rimless headspace on the datum line.

America is (supposed to be) a Republic, NOT a democracy. Learn the difference, help end the lie. Fear a government that fears your guns.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Telephone rings!
Gunsmith: "Mike's gun shop."
Caller: "Can I shoot a .30-40 Krag round in a .303 British rifle?"
Pause.
Gunsmith: "Is your life insurance paid up?"

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
About 10 years ago we had a women hunter fire a 308 in a 270 Ruger, killed the Deer at about 75 yards and locked the Ruger up tight as a safe we had a hell of a time clearing the action, I took the rifle to a good gun smith to be checked out no damage ?? I was surprised it didn't blow up. Rio7

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by RIO7
About 10 years ago we had a women hunter fire a 308 in a 270 Ruger, killed the Deer at about 75 yards and locked the Ruger up tight as a safe we had a hell of a time clearing the action, I took the rifle to a good gun smith to be checked out no damage ?? I was surprised it didn't blow up. Rio7

It's not easy to find any pictures of a Ruger bolt action blown up. I'm sure they exist but they are one hell for stout action. I've seen stocks let go around the action but not action in pieces.

Me

V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
Have you ever heard of case/head separation caused by excessive headspace?

RAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Teal

It's not easy to find any pictures of a Ruger bolt action blown up. I'm sure they exist but they are one hell for stout action. I've seen stocks let go around the action but not action in pieces.
Your still talking a .308 pill all the way through a .277 bore, and landing on target 75 yds away. Dubious at best.

America is (supposed to be) a Republic, NOT a democracy. Learn the difference, help end the lie. Fear a government that fears your guns.
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by RAM

Your still talking a .308 pill all the way through a .277 bore. Dubious at best.

I'm not RECOMMENDING it, I'm just saying that of all the "blown up action" pictures I've seen floated around the net since - forever (I got started on Prodigy, when it was a vector graphic based BBS), Rugers are damned rare to show up in pieces. Regardless of reason they had issue.

Me

RAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by RAM

Your still talking a .308 pill all the way through a .277 bore. Dubious at best.

I'm not RECOMMENDING it, I'm just saying that of all the "blown up action" pictures I've seen floated around the net since - forever (I got started on Prodigy, when it was a vector graphic based BBS), Rugers are damned rare to show up in pieces. Regardless of reason they had issue.

Didn't say you recommended it.

Didn't say you didn't hear the story.

Suggested with reason, that the story is BS.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
persiandog;
Good afternoon and Happy Boxing Day if that's a thing down your way as it is up on this side of the medicine line.

While this has been mentioned by a couple posters already, I'm going to belabor the point just a tad.

The rifle in the video was for sure one of the stronger actions ever made, has an excellent gas venting system and has a claw extractor which in this instance and in that rifle, held the case sufficiently to get the primer to ignite the cartridge.

Depending upon tolerances, one might also end up with the .308 case jumping ahead of the extractor and then it could - I believe - be possible to jam that .308 case in the chamber.

I'm quite averse to jamming live ammo in a chamber myself as there's all sorts of scenarios where that ends badly for all participants in the repair.

While I have no experience doing it, my guess is that using anything other than a controlled round, large claw extractor action could and perhaps even likely end up with a live round jammed in the chamber.

Lastly, I'll just use the explanation I give the hunter safety course I teach every spring as to why we should be careful about our experimentation with firearms.

The chamber pressure of most big game rifles, for sure the .308, is 62,000 pounds per square inch. More or less for illustration, that's 10 diesel pickups stacked up on a Canadian Loony, being set loose 3" from your nose.

I like to have the pickups fall in a safe direction, but that's me. wink

All the best to you and Happy New Year.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by RAM

Your still talking a .308 pill all the way through a .277 bore, and landing on target 75 yds away. Dubious at best.

You're talking "swaging" a .308" inch projectile into a .277" inch projectile in nano seconds.

Ok, I won't say it can't happen, but like RAM, I find the likelihood dubious. (?)

Do you know why a manhole cover is round?
That's so the cover won't fall through the opening!

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
To you NAY sayers, I have no reason to lye about something that happened here, like I said I was amazed the rifle didn't blow up. if you can't handle it you can KMA. Rio7

RAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Google, images

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Interesting his statement that the US Military when designing the .308 made the chamber taper just a little bit shallower because they knew this was going to happen. Makes sense.

Closest I’ve come was loading a .303 British in a 30-30 Marlin, both rifles and open boxes of ammo next to each other at the range. Loaded easily, unloading - not so much 🤨

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
There was a thread on here awhile back about exactly that. A 308 Win cartridge being fired in a rifle chambered for 270 Win. I don’t remember the outcome. It’s not unbelievable to me that it could happen without blowing up the rifle or maiming the shooter. It obviously could but it might not.

The shorter 308 Win case should at least allow for pressure to drop below standard at least slightly before that .308 cal bullet got swaged in the bore and caused a hell of a pressure spike! Which might help mitigate the damage.

308 Win ammo being fired in a 270 Win rifle has happened a lot more than once. I wouldn’t doubt that there’s been a huge range of results from maiming the shooter to the shooter chiting there pants but minimal or no damage. All sorts of variables from jacket thickness to how deep the bullet was seated, max load/not max load, throat length, rifle, bullet weight, ogive location, powder burn rate ect.

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by Cowboybart
Why?? Just Why??

emergency ! you took the 308 instead of 30-06 ammo and a huge elk is at 100yard.

I’d pass, that’s not an emergency

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
RAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by BC30cal
While I have no experience doing it, my guess is that using anything other than a controlled round, large claw extractor action could and perhaps even likely end up with a live round jammed in the chamber.

Dwayne

You just dropped hammer and blew up your gun. How the hell are you gonna have a LIVE round stuck in (what's left) of the chamber? And how is the type of extraction germane?

Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

596 members (10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 12344mag, 160user, 75 invisible), 2,533 guests, and 1,268 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,826
Posts18,516,842
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.