Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
You can ‘mistakenly’ shoot a 44 mag round in a 45 Lc, but I dont recommend it . Its hard on the brass 😀

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Once upon a time several years ago I did the very thing in question. I accidentally fired a.308W round from my.30-06 Weatherby Vanguard 2. I was at the local range shooting a 100 yard target. The bullet went inside the sub one inch group and the case fire formed to the chamber with mostly a straight wall case that crimped in a little bit at the mouth. This would be terribly unpleasant I’m sure in a .270 and a disaster in a .25-06. In any case I have learned to be more careful.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by persiandog
Originally Posted by Cowboybart
Why?? Just Why??

emergency ! you took the 308 instead of 30-06 ammo and a huge elk is at 100yard.

That's not an emergency

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I fire formed .30-06 brass (with COW) into 9,3m brass.

It worked... kinda. Mostly it was a brokedick experiment.

Ended up breaking the extractor on my CZ550 medium.

---------------------

I shoot .458 American (and a shorter version of same) in .458 WM and .458 Lott chambers all the time as Subs. The jump does not effect accuracy in medium and large bore.

---------------------

Personally, I would not shoot .308W ammo in a .30-06 Springfield chamber.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Here's one that dates back to WW II- - - -an 8X57 round will chamber and fire in some .30-06 rifles. The recoil is pretty brutal, but the .323 bullet will swage down and exit the .308 bore, usually without wrecking the rifle, as long as the brass can expand and release the bullet before the pressure builds up enough to shear off the bolt lugs or do other catastrophic damage to the action. P.O. Ackley ran a bunch of tests on that very situation after a few idiots started firing "liberated" German ammo in surplus 03 Springfields.

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
IC B2

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I had a 257 Roberts single shot Dakota 10, and my dad had a 25-06 Ruger 77VT. We loaded the same bullet in each cartridge. 100 gn. Xlcbt. He saw a tom turkey out over 150 yards, so grabbed a round of ammo out of the box on the table and chambered it. Was a 257. Hit the turkey right where he aimed. Didn't notice a thing till he ejected the case. It didn't rupture at all, just formed into a 25-06 up to the point where the brass ended.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I once fired a 22 RF in a 458 win mag with no problems

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I once had to rebarrel an M1 Garand that a guy used a 308 chamber adapter in. It ruined the chamber by leaving a depression ring in it.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by BeardedGunsmith
I once had to rebarrel an M1 Garand that a guy used a 308 chamber adapter in. It ruined the chamber by leaving a depression ring in it.
the chamber adapter were US issued for high power matches to use "more accurate" 308 ammo. also by then they were running out of 30-06 LC ammo

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by mrmeener
Originally Posted by BeardedGunsmith
the chamber adapter were US issued for high power matches to use "more accurate" 308 ammo. also by then they were running out of 30-06 LC ammo
Interesting. I didn't know that factoid.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RAM
Originally Posted by BC30cal
While I have no experience doing it, my guess is that using anything other than a controlled round, large claw extractor action could and perhaps even likely end up with a live round jammed in the chamber.

Dwayne

You just dropped hammer and blew up your gun. How the hell are you gonna have a LIVE round stuck in (what's left) of the chamber? And how is the type of extraction germane?

RAM;
Good almost evening out in New Hampshire, hopefully the day behaved and you're well.

Sorry I wasn't clear with my thought, if I may I'll attempt another run at it.

My guess was that in the video, the extractor was at least in part holding the cartridge in place in order to support it enough to have the firing pin set the primer off.

Said another way it "might" help a rimless case act as if it were rimmed, in the absence of any headspace on the shoulder where it needs to be.

Further it was my guess that if we didn't have that big extractor holding the .308 case rim, as it would be in any push feed action, there's a chance it'd push the unfired case into the chamber too far - and become stuck.

If with the push feed action this were to take place, the firing pin wouldn't reach the primer, so then we'd have a live round in the chamber.

Again, having not tried this, I'm admittedly guessing, so could be and likely am incorrect in the guess.

Hope that made better sense.

All the best in the New Year.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RMiller2
Maybe for a Darwin award.
But but it was researched by the military!!!

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Doable, but don't try the 308 in a 270.

1Minute
jar Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I was shooting a 30-06 one day at a target with a friend who was shooting a 270. I walked up to the bench as it was my turn, sat down and picked up a shell and loaded my rem 700. shot three shots with a good group then the 4th shot missed the whole target. ???? what the hell ! ran 2 more rounds and my buddy says you just shot a limb outa the tree straight up above the target . WTH ?? come to find out , my buddy had left loose rounds on the bench and my dumbazz chucked em in my rem 700. yes I ran 3 rounds of 270 thru my 30-06. Crap ! good thing we were shooting at his dads place with no chance of hurting someone . ran a scope thru the barrel of my remmy and could not find any sign of marks or damage at all . went back and shot another nice group with the right ammo .

teach your children well , ride hard, shoot straight, be involved!
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Son_of_the_Gael
Originally Posted by reivertom
Notice this guy is using one of the strongest actions he could find to do this. This is an example of a really bad Idea that shouldn't even be a thought. I guess if you were starving to death and needed to kill a deer, of you were in a life and death situation, it might bail you out, but just don't do it in the real world.

Unless I am mistaken, the 1917 is a controlled round feed action so headspace is at least to some degree controlled by the extractor similar to 40 S&W in 10mm. Might be very different in a Remington 700.

Still not a good idea.

The M1917 has been used for magnum cartridges in custom rifles for nearly 100 years.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I've got a sporterized 1917 that has been rechambered for 300 H&H. The pawn shop where I bought it for pennies on the dollar had it marked ".300 Win Mag", and nobody could make that round chamber. They told me it had a bad barrel and practically gave me the gun. A quick chamber casting discovered what was actually going on.

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
W
WMR Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I wasn’t there, but my friend’s uncle, “Screwy Louie”, was said to have fired a 303 round in 410. Results were said to be bad. Not even sure that’s possible, but alcohol fueled lots of adventures at their deer camp. Those were the days. 🫤

F
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by jar
I was shooting a 30-06 one day at a target with a friend who was shooting a 270. I walked up to the bench as it was my turn, sat down and picked up a shell and loaded my rem 700. shot three shots with a good group then the 4th shot missed the whole target. ???? what the hell ! ran 2 more rounds and my buddy says you just shot a limb outa the tree straight up above the target . WTH ?? come to find out , my buddy had left loose rounds on the bench and my dumbazz chucked em in my rem 700. yes I ran 3 rounds of 270 thru my 30-06. Crap ! good thing we were shooting at his dads place with no chance of hurting someone . ran a scope thru the barrel of my remmy and could not find any sign of marks or damage at all . went back and shot another nice group with the right ammo .

Had this happen when my dad accidentally shot my 7MM-08 ammo through his AR-10. None hit the target. Inspected the rifle, then put 5 308 bullets down range into a nice group.

I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
Originally Posted by JakeM78
Originally Posted by persiandog
Originally Posted by granitestate1
Just changing the headspace can change accuracy.
so , 38 in 357 or 40sw in 10mm are all inaccurate?
How much difference in headspace is there between a 38 and 357?

None because they headspace on the rim. .308 and 30-06 are rimless and headspace on the shoulder.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by RAM
While I have no experience doing it, my guess is that using anything other than a controlled round, large claw extractor action could and perhaps even likely end up with a live round jammed in the chamber.

Dwayne

You just dropped hammer and blew up your gun. How the hell are you gonna have a LIVE round stuck in (what's left) of the chamber? And how is the type of extraction germane?

RAM;
Good almost evening out in New Hampshire, hopefully the day behaved and you're well.

Sorry I wasn't clear with my thought, if I may I'll attempt another run at it.

My guess was that in the video, the extractor was at least in part holding the cartridge in place in order to support it enough to have the firing pin set the primer off.

Said another way it "might" help a rimless case act as if it were rimmed, in the absence of any headspace on the shoulder where it needs to be.

Further it was my guess that if we didn't have that big extractor holding the .308 case rim, as it would be in any push feed action, there's a chance it'd push the unfired case into the chamber too far - and become stuck.

If with the push feed action this were to take place, the firing pin wouldn't reach the primer, so then we'd have a live round in the chamber.

Again, having not tried this, I'm admittedly guessing, so could be and likely am incorrect in the guess.

Hope that made better sense.

All the best in the New Year.

Dwayne

Dwayne: Hope you had a Merry Christmas, and got to do some deer hunting with your daughters this year.

Your original post was clear to anyone with enough basic knowledge to understand it.

Happy New Year!!

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

228 members (10gaugemag, 1minute, 338reddog, 45_100, 406_SBC, 1beaver_shooter, 27 invisible), 2,464 guests, and 1,047 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,758
Posts18,514,915
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.